PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Paint - What's best?

ryanlownie
26-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I've tried using the Faskolor Faskrome and it looks alright on the shell but I hate the little flakey bits, I am looking for that smooth chrome finish.

So what do you find is best to use to get that proper mirror chrome finish?

DCM
26-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Spazstix is the best, but it is pricey, after that, Alclad II is very good too.

ryanlownie
26-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah I've already had a look into SpazStix, the guy is very local too :thumbsup:

I've heard you have to be careful with the chrome paint too such as ensuring there's no static on the shell, do you have any tips for using it?

DCM
26-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, there are different thoughts on it, never had an issue with static, but if you prep your shell correctly, there shouldn't be. I prefer to do the chrome last, as I have had issue's with it lifting when pealing the mask off, but others do it first, to layer up the paint over it, to protect it.

Just drop the psi in your brush, and dust it on, it takes seconds to dry, and just do a minimum of three light coats, the more coats, the deeper the shine, but obviously, more paint used. When you back it, leave it dry for 30 mins, then do a few light coats of gloss black (or fasblack), this will make it MIRROR rather than just be shinny.

JE Spares should stock it.... and whats happening with Faskolor, hunting down Fasblack, like it is on the brink of extinction!!

Matt-h
26-01-2010, 10:18 AM
i used alclad chrome in a rattle can, it came out great.

only problem is when i scored the shell to prep, it showed through.

Also as DCM said 'back with black'.

DCM
26-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I never score shells, it dulls the colour, if you prep with a good detergent, and rinse with hot water, dry and Liquid Mask right away, you shouldn't have any paint flake, if using Faskolor, the shell really needs to sit somewhere warm, for a few days, to allow the water to evaporate out of the paint, then it is tough as nails.

ryanlownie
26-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Alright I'll have to get some scraps and do a few practice bits first to make sure I can get it right.

I've got some Fasblack due in any day now (not sure how many they'll send though).

DCM
26-01-2010, 10:35 AM
It is rarer than Hens teeth at the mo.... Can you not start getting the Createx in, as they do large bottles of black?

Darren Boyle
26-01-2010, 12:17 PM
.......and whats happening with Faskolor, hunting down Fasblack, like it is on the brink of extinction!!

We have plenty in stock at present if you are stuck :thumbsup: available for next day delivery if it is urgent and lack of it is holding you up...

DCM
26-01-2010, 01:10 PM
You sure now, wouldn't want you sending paint to a painter now, would we :lol:

Darren Boyle
26-01-2010, 01:47 PM
??? We send stuff to painters every day of the week, we are only trying to help you here, no other reason, I did PM you too as i am sure you have seen.

Its here if you "need" it, not as rare as you thought, just depends where you try to find it seems.........

blitzboy
26-01-2010, 02:13 PM
i use cusrom colour chrome straight from the can and never had nt problemsunless it in a big section as for black totally agree with darren never had a problem alcad stinks and i dont like stinky paint hehehehehehe:p

DCM
26-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Do Custom Colour do a chrome?? Never really used the stuff, reminded me to much of Pactra in a can.

Alclad II Chrome don't smell really... their base colours do though!!

walden
26-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi All

I use custom color mirror chrome for all my bodyshells and the best part of this product is - dries quick and does not need any backing of any kind, i find applying 3 coats works best and can be applied over waterbased or solvent based paints :thumbsup:

ryanlownie
26-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah that sounds better for me, I'll have some of the Custom Colour Chrome ordered in. Their description says not to back too. Also if you add more Chrome it starts to give an aluminium finish so you can actually achieve a few different results all with one product.

telboy
26-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Beware though. Chrome isn't very water resistant.
I just did a shell for Durango, nice gold candy backed with custom color chrome. Adam dremelled the shell then rinsed it......buggered all the paint up.

If custom color say not to back it then don't listen to them. It needs backing with Fasblack at least. THEN backing with nitro block or something similar.

DCM
26-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I have never backed me Faskolor with anything, only recomend the shell goes somewhere warm and dry, to dry out!!

telboy
26-01-2010, 09:54 PM
yeah, the fascolor is ok, but alclad, spaz, customcolor chromes all wash off very easily if they're not backed.

DCM
26-01-2010, 09:59 PM
must admit, I back all my shells with Fasblack over Faskrome, would never leave a delicate uncovered.

bigred5765
26-01-2010, 10:11 PM
i always back all my shells with,Faskote createx clear or nitro block

telboy
26-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Carl, what ratio do you thin the faskoat down to? and do you use the 4011 reducer to do it?

bigred5765
27-01-2010, 12:13 AM
createx illustrator base is what I'm using now to thin everything,about 20 % thinner Createx Illustration Base 2oz (60ml) Ref: AC-CTX-5608-02