PDA

View Full Version : Where have my brakes gone? Any help appreciated

RogerM
26-01-2010, 01:46 PM
At Petit I was really noticing a lack of brakes, that is the reason I made the (completely wrong) decision to put a front diff in for the final … made the car handling not to my tastes but still with no brakes! This was costing me LOADS of time as I couldn’t stay on the power for the straight or else I’ve overshoot the “wall of death” and could only blip the throttle through the infield as if I built any speed I couldn’t get it into the next corner.

I am 95% sure that the brakes are causing the slipper to slip but will try locking the slipper up just to be sure.

Speedo & transmiter are still adjusted correctly for brake side EPA, set to 100% brakes, running a little drag brake (still can’t drive with a free rolling brushless motor!) and initial brakes set to the same as drag brakes.

When I jam the brakes on whilst holding the car the wheels don't stop immediately, only a small delay but the same speedo setup (but with a milder motor) in the 2wd car almost flip the car out of your hand.

The brakes on the same set-up used to be awesome!

Have I killed the motor / speedo and if so how?

Going to try another motor but don't have another equivelent (will have to be the 2 winds milder one out of the RB5) so may not be the best comparison.

Any help appreciated.

chris_dono
26-01-2010, 02:26 PM
which speedo, which motor ?

RogerM
26-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Speed Passion GT2.0 PRO and a Speed Passion V3.0 6.5R

As I say the brakes were originally the best I've had from a brushless set-up

Cockerill
26-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Have tried resetting the speedo and transmitter?

RogerM
26-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes, speedo responds as it should (in terms of lights etc.), transmitter is fine as works on the other car and allows speedo set-up.

I'm a little confused, feels like a brushed speedo would after blowing the schokey diodes!

_sleigh_
26-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Have you tried swapping the good motor from your 2WD in the 4WD?

Has the 4WD motor been "HOT"??

RogerM
26-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Going to try that next (not spending much time at home these days :'( ).

I don't think the motor has got HOT, normally very careful but I can't be 100% sure.

If it is a motor that has got hot what will need replacing, the rotor or the winding stack? I'd assume the rotor but not 100% sure ... brushless thing is still Voodoo as far as I am concerned

Cockerill
26-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Have you actually reset the speedo back to factory settings and tried it?

If the motor has got too hot and caused damage then it will most probably be the rotor that needs replacing due to a loss of magnetism. I would have thought the motor would have to get very hot for this to happen though.

RogerM
26-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I have reset it yes (from the programming card) and then gone through as if new. Will try again before swapping the motors.

It's never been steaming hot, sure of that .. but exactly how hot it has got I can not be sure of.

The motor still seems fast enough just "soft" on brakes

Big G
26-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I had my v3 5.5 thermal out and was reading 180 degrees on my dad's temp gun. still has wicked brakes mind.

chris_dono
26-01-2010, 03:59 PM
If the motor is still working then I don't think it'll be that. Haven't used the v2 speed passion stuff, but with the v1, brakes HAD to be 100% to get anything, and even then it was a bit soft.. found that running a different power cap helped though

bigred5765
26-01-2010, 04:32 PM
hi roger are 5.5 has gone like that after the petit rc i think we killed it,

RogerM
26-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Carl ... the only thing at Petit hotter than your 5.5 was the chicken I had on the Saturday night ;)

My motor has never got that hot ...

DCM
26-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Curve ball here, but have you managed to turn on ABS on your model memory, easy way to check if it is a transmitter setting, it to try the car with a different model memory... it has been done, wasn't me of course... ahem.... :woot:

RogerM
26-01-2010, 04:47 PM
:o Steve I'm not sure, I was playing around with all sorts of stuff in the darkest depths of my 3VC menu trying to get something to work ... might have been a bit of careless clicking, I'll defo look into that and report back if I've been an idiot (ok even more of an idiot than normal)

DCM
26-01-2010, 04:56 PM
As if you haven't thermalled your motor, which would also affect drive, and haven't popped a few fets on each phase on the ESC, then it must be a setting.

rc_penguin
26-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I also ran a Speed passion set up at petit (GT 2 Pro , V3 6.5) I found that brake settings 1,2 and 3 did next to nothing, but had it on setting 4 (100%) where the brakes were toooo strong lol, to the point i tried to avoid a crash, hit the brakes and the car went up on its front wheels, next thing i was on my roof! :woot:.
Is this the case with everyone's speed pasty speedo's etc.?? meaning finding no brakes until using them on setting 4 where their absolutley ridiculous :confused:

David Church
26-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I am having no problem with my speed pasty, and the brakes are far better than on the novaks i used to use. On my novaks the brakes started out good and then faded, over time, not on a run, i would say its a speedo thing.

chris_dono
27-01-2010, 12:10 AM
I also ran a Speed passion set up at petit (GT 2 Pro , V3 6.5) I found that brake settings 1,2 and 3 did next to nothing, but had it on setting 4 (100%) where the brakes were toooo strong lol, to the point i tried to avoid a crash, hit the brakes and the car went up on its front wheels, next thing i was on my roof! :woot:.
Is this the case with everyone's speed pasty speedo's etc.?? meaning finding no brakes until using them on setting 4 where their absolutley ridiculous :confused:

I used to find that on the older SP speedo's but haven't run the new ones.

Big G
27-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I'll check my brake setup, but I think it's on 3 and I have decent brakes.

Neil Skull
27-01-2010, 08:56 PM
At Petit I was really noticing a lack of brakes, that is the reason I made the (completely wrong) decision to put a front diff in for the final … made the car handling not to my tastes but still with no brakes! This was costing me LOADS of time as I couldn’t stay on the power for the straight or else I’ve overshoot the “wall of death” and could only blip the throttle through the infield as if I built any speed I couldn’t get it into the next corner.

I am 95% sure that the brakes are causing the slipper to slip but will try locking the slipper up just to be sure.

Speedo & transmiter are still adjusted correctly for brake side EPA, set to 100% brakes, running a little drag brake (still can’t drive with a free rolling brushless motor!) and initial brakes set to the same as drag brakes.

When I jam the brakes on whilst holding the car the wheels don't stop immediately, only a small delay but the same speedo setup (but with a milder motor) in the 2wd car almost flip the car out of your hand.

The brakes on the same set-up used to be awesome!

Have I killed the motor / speedo and if so how?

Going to try another motor but don't have another equivelent (will have to be the 2 winds milder one out of the RB5) so may not be the best comparison.

Any help appreciated.

Roger,

firstly try swapping your esc over. At least that way you will know where the problem comes from.

As i understand heavy braking can put the biggest stress on an esc so maybe its like a fet or something gone. I am not 100% sure on that just a guess.

RogerM
28-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Right after a hard days work, and a hard nights work too I've finally had time to have a quick look over the car.

It's not a transmitter setting, it doesn't seem to be the motor (how much have you got to love the Speed Passion plug in V3.0 motors!!!) as substituting the motor for a known good one from the RB5 seems to make no difference.

All ESC settings reset again, still the same .... but a firmware update (to the one mentioned on another thread) seems to have, in the hands at least, sorted the problem. My conclusion is that I must have messed up the previous firmware update and just not noticed the lack of brakes at the previous meeting!

My LPF has worked faultlessly and has only ever been on the factory supplied firmware.

So there we go, thanks for all the suggestions but it seems it was a user error on my part (hopefully), not quite as big a silly as DCM's suggestion but my own fault none the less!!!

I'm still getting used to the brushless motors, as recently as just before Xmas I was seriously considering going back to what I knew, 20+ years of tuning brushed motors, but I'm getting there now and still hugely impressed with the Speed Passion stuff.

Hopefully it'll all be working properly for Friday night at Hereford :)

Thanks again to all those who took the time to offer assistance and share their experiences it's what makes the oOpple community great to be a part of :thumbsup: