PDA

View Full Version : What motor?

BattleCat
31-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Hi guys,

Just thought Id pop on and say hello. I used to race at Eden Park about 17 years ago with my old Cougar 2 Works back in the day when Kevin Moore used to race and Dave Evans used to supply the spares. I found it in the loft and thought about getting back into racing as I used to love it, but notice quite a lots changed ;) I popped down the track with a friend at the beginning of Jan to have a peek and immediately wanted to start up again! Funny thing is I didnt see anyone under the age of 30. Guess you guys didnt stop when I did :)

Thought spares might be an issue so have just got myself a Cat SX (first 4wd and LIPO!) and all the kit except the engine & speed controller. I'm a little new to this brushless/lipo talk and am confused a little by the windings. Back in the day a 17 turn modified motor was ok and a 13 was rapid. Looking at the brushless, its confused me a bit. I've been told the Novak Havoc Pro/Ballistic brushless system is pretty tasty. Just wondering what you guys run or recommend for the Cat at Eden Park? is 5.5 too fast?

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks,

Brad

Big G
31-01-2010, 03:03 AM
I think the rough rule of thumb is times the brushless wind by 2 and that gives a rough comparison to a brushed motor. ie 5.5 = 11 brushed.

someone else might have a different idea.

I found the 5.5 a nice outdoor motor, although I've never raced at eden.

tiny tom
31-01-2010, 04:45 AM
I run a catsx with losi speedo, and I find a 5.5 is to much and went back down to a 6.5. But in the wet I would go down to a 8.5

simoncook
31-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree with Tom. 5.5 would be a bit quick. For starting out again I would use a 8.5 or a 7.5. With what has been said about multipling the number of winds by 2 to get the brushed equivalent is about right, but lipo muddies the waters, as you get more punch from them.

Our next race is next Sunday. Steve will put a post up on here later in the week with details.

I would also imagine that there will be a few of us trackside on the Saturday too. Prepping the track etc and then when everythings done we drive the buggys around. If your free on the Saturday it's usually a good opportunity to meet a few people. Again Steve will probably post up details on here later in the week.

B&H Racing
31-01-2010, 10:43 AM
When racing at Eden Park I always used 5.5 in the 4wd and 6.5 in the 2wd.

You can always limit the power delivery with the esc and transmitter at first until you get used to it.

Garry Spice
31-01-2010, 10:58 AM
or you could purchase a novak 10.5 motor from me!
(dunno how ive ended up with 2 of them!)

BattleCat
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Using the logic of being twice the wind, I might have to go for the 7.5 then. I can imagine starting again is going to be tricky enough without engaging warp :D

Hopefully see you all soon! :thumbsup:

Brad

discostu
02-02-2010, 10:07 PM
if i was you i would buy a 6.5 and be done with it you can always turn your esc down or handset depending on which one you have and that will save you £80 in six months when you wanna go faster.

MattADH
02-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I think a 6.5 would be ideal in the CAT with LiPo round EPR.

You can run a hotter 5.5T (and I do in the dry) although what with the increase in LiPo discharge rates many racers are dropping down to a 6.5

HTH