PDA

View Full Version : The Durango killer

b4pete
31-01-2010, 11:30 PM
3 started tonight at my local club, one's diff housing snapped in 2, the other did something similar-poor guys nights over, Mine broke a shock tower and there were ball joints coming off everywhere. Ive broken 2 shock towers in as many meetings, I havent even crashed that hard! Certainly tonight they were just 'hook' rolls on corners.
I am only a beginner (returning to the sport after years) and really pushed my skills and the car as far as I could tonight, but the car let me down a bit, the main issue is the ball joints pop off shoud you even glance the pipe. Are there any better ones I can put on?
Also going to be phoning Durango tomorrow to discuss these shock towers, i cant be affording these at nearly £30 a pop every meeting, could I have bought some with a dodgy weave? Ive seen people collide full pelt with brick walls and not brake them, Ive done nothing like that!

vinny20
01-02-2010, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE= I am only a beginner (returning to the sport after years)

if u a beginner and getting back in the sport after years then this cars gonna be alot of work for you trust me iv had one these there hard to work with from start but i got mine sorted from adam skelding he knows everything about the car and if shock towers are breaking then theres somthing wrong pm adam skeling he can help you

HyperFX
01-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Pete, did you buy your DEX410 used or new?
The first run kits (it seems) had weak cups. If you purchased used, your kit could have the weak ones, and you may want to replace them with an aftermarket cup, or with direct replacement cups from Durango, which are reported to be stronger than the originals.

chrispattinson
01-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Those Durangos were dropping like flies last night.
:thumbsup: Tamiya :thumbsup:

b4pete
01-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Pete, did you buy your DEX410 used or new?
The first run kits (it seems) had weak cups. If you purchased used, your kit could have the weak ones, and you may want to replace them with an aftermarket cup, or with direct replacement cups from Durango, which are reported to be stronger than the originals.
Bought it brand new, going to ring this Adam fella this morning.

Absolutely love the car, but just a few niggly bits for me.

Adam Skelding
01-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Ball Joints-
We revised the ball joints in the 3rd batch of kits we supplied, but it wasn't to reduce slop. We made the hole smaller in the ball end so that it 'gripped' the turnbuckle better as a few people experienced the ball ends moving.

Shock towers.
We know of no issues at all with this part. We've had no batch problems with the carbon and I'm guessing by looking at the sales of the part that it's not a common breakage.

We do recommend as other manufs do to glue the edge of the carbon fibre parts to help stop delamination of the carbon fibre along it's exposed edge. but his will not help protect against straight clean breaks.

mark christopher
01-02-2010, 10:37 AM
iv got a durango, had some almighty crashes and bent one rear hinge pin yesterday ( my only crash damage) pin was like a bannan and i could not understand how the wishbone was intact? i finished the race and would have rather finished the race, and replace a pin, than the rear wishbone and record a DNF, may be just luck.

those shock towers are seriously thick and strong, what surface were you on? what motor are you running?
im guessing your having bad luck. i have never popped a ball joint on mine, have had the geometry move but the new ball cups have fixed that.

this "adam chap" is a very nice guy...

mark christopher
01-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Those Durangos were dropping like flies last night.
:thumbsup: Tamiya :thumbsup:

yup true

tamiya's "never" break, and there so well suported in the UK!:bored:

Jedi Master
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I had a major 'head-on' with my Durango. Nothing bent, broke or came loose!!! AWESOME!!!

chrispattinson
01-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Racing is on an all carpet track, and to be fair, the car did roll and the shock towers dug into the carpet.
Pete, can you not ask Martin at Hansell / fibrelyte if he can knock out some carbon towers at a more competitive price?

As Adam has suggested, maybe sealing the tower with superglue, and shamfering it to take the edgest off that dig in might help.

Mark... I'm assuming you wouldnt be using sarcasm on here, so in response:

I wouldn't say Tamiyas 'never' break, it's a rare occasion though.

And you're right, they are well supported, have a look at www.tamiyaclub.com

b4pete
01-02-2010, 12:17 PM
He is alright that Adam chap lol!

He is going to look and see what mark ball cups I have and also take a look at the shock tower. Also gave great advice. Top service!!!!

bondy
01-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah just ask Blitz Boy what was left of his Bmax thingy when he spun in front of me at worksop and I collected him head on. ! I carried on to win! Poor lad had to go pick up what was left and go rebuild his car !!! :thumbsup::D:woot:

Fabs
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah just ask Blitz Boy what was left of his Bmax thingy when he spun in front of me at worksop and I collected him head on. ! I carried on to win! Poor lad had to go pick up what was left and go rebuild his car !!! :thumbsup::D:woot:

It was only a wishbone :p

You're still a loser ! Not managing to win the F345 :p

Chequered Flag Racing
01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
can you not ask Martin at Hansell / fibrelyte if he can knock out some carbon towers at a more competitive price?

only just read this thread

borrowed some about 10 days ago and sent them in, got 2 front's & 2 rears but there spoken for

there cut :thumbsup: but no price yet :(

Picked them up this lunch time on my way back from Manchester

Picks & price up later today all being well ;)

Need to test fit them also

b4pete
01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Hurry up and give me some prices and Ill have 2 off ya!!!

Chequered Flag Racing
01-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Hurry up and give me some prices and Ill have 2 off ya!!!

just finished test fit and they went on just like the kit items :thumbsup:

just 2 :p

pics are uploading / link & prices soon as I have them sorted

racdeaf
01-02-2010, 04:05 PM
pete
your durango spend more time on it roof than racing :p

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
3 started tonight at my local club, one's diff housing snapped in 2, the other did something similar-poor guys nights over, Mine broke a shock tower and there were ball joints coming off everywhere. Ive broken 2 shock towers in as many meetings, I havent even crashed that hard! Certainly tonight they were just 'hook' rolls on corners.
I am only a beginner (returning to the sport after years) and really pushed my skills and the car as far as I could tonight, but the car let me down a bit, the main issue is the ball joints pop off shoud you even glance the pipe. Are there any better ones I can put on?
Also going to be phoning Durango tomorrow to discuss these shock towers, i cant be affording these at nearly £30 a pop every meeting, could I have bought some with a dodgy weave? Ive seen people collide full pelt with brick walls and not brake them, Ive done nothing like that!

To be fair pete the cars go through some hammer on the tracks and breaking a shock tower is just 1 of those things, plus you have bought a top spec car and the shock towers are 4mm so they are gunna be expensive, you wouldnt buy a Ferrari and then complain about the service cost (just an exsample), ive had my durango for some time now and raced on all kinds of surfaces never broke anything, no ball cups coming off until i crashed of a jump hard at york the other night and broke a shock tower, to be fair i would have been very supprised if i hadnt broke anything, again just 1 of those things, thats racing :cry:

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
just finished test fit and they went on just like the kit items :thumbsup:

just 2 :p

pics are uploading / link & prices soon as I have them sorted

I can have some more cut but deadline for getting them for the weekend is 12 mid-day Wed this week. PM's please

I'll get me self some on me way back from work:p now that you've gave him the spec lol :p

Northy
01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Pete, I've sent you a pm.

G

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Just orded some front and rear shock towers from hansell Wahooo pic them up in a couple of days, class:thumbsup:

Chequered Flag Racing
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Pics

you can view mine here (http://www.photobox.co.uk/slideshow?album_id=304755028)

top ones are the kit items

WHITTLER555
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
OR you could all save yourselves a shed load of money and make a small front wing out of spare lexan and use the top shock nuts to hold it on. This way when the car goes upside down it simply slides along the carpet and doesn't dig in.

SIMPLEZ!

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Or dont crash so much:p lol

Northy
01-02-2010, 08:13 PM
OR you could all save yourselves a shed load of money and make a small front wing out of spare lexan and use the top shock nuts to hold it on. This way when the car goes upside down it simply slides along the carpet and doesn't dig in.

SIMPLEZ!

DAM-o to the rescue! :woot:

In 4wd he runs the Durango DEX410 buggy.......

b4pete
01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
pete
your durango spend more time on it roof than racing :p

shut up you, ill beat you one day big fella! :wub

racdeaf
01-02-2010, 08:39 PM

lol bring it on ..
oh even better i give you 5 lap head start :p:p

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 08:39 PM

lol:eh?:

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
lol bring it on ..
oh even better i give you 5 lap head start :p:p

You would still be 2 laps up lol

b4pete
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
lol:eh?:

have you never seen robot wars? :D

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 08:46 PM
yeah, he'll be 2 laps up lol

b4pete
01-02-2010, 08:50 PM
surprised you can see the screen with all that smog Gary lol!!

Anyway, younger thumbs here gents, ill still be racing when your steering and throttle have seized up with arthritis lol!!

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
surprised you can see the screen with all that smog Gary lol!!

Anyway, younger thumbs here gents, ill still be racing when your steering and throttle have seized up with arthritis lol!!

Lol yeah when hell freezzes over lol

b4pete
01-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Lol yeah when hell freezzes over lol

Dont speak so soon Gary, was cold on skippers lane today..........brrrrrr lol!!! :p

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Dont speak so soon Gary, was cold on skippers lane today..........brrrrrr lol!!! :p

Skippers lane ? lol no where near me matey lol

b4pete
01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Skippers lane ? lol no where near me matey lol

It doesnt matter, soon as you appoach stockton you can see the smog coming rolllllling in :woot:

gazbaz2
01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
It doesnt matter, soon as you appoach stockton you can see the smog coming rolllllling in :woot:

And your point being ????

b4pete
01-02-2010, 09:04 PM
And your point being ????
You said when hell freezes over?!

Aaaaaaaaaany way, loooks like I had my thingy's in the wrong holes for a start! Thank you Mr Northy for the advice

racdeaf
01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
You said when hell freezes over?!

Aaaaaaaaaany way, loooks like I had my thingy's in the wrong holes for a start! Thank you Mr Northy for the advice

eh wot u sayin ?
this related to rc topic !! not about your arse :p

b4pete
01-02-2010, 09:09 PM
yawwwwwwwwwn lmao!!

bondy
02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
It was only a wishbone :p

You're still a loser ! Not managing to win the F345 :p

Yes Fabs I didnt win but I had the fastest time of the group ! . :woot:

Oh and I belive it was easily faster than any of yours aswell !!!!!!!! :p:p:p

Bungleaio
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
So how much are fibrelyte charging for the parts?

shanks
02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Hang your heads in shame lads

Fibrolyte shock towers on a Durango ?

What next b4 battery holders?

Sacralige
:cry:
:p

b4pete
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
So how much are fibrelyte charging for the parts?

12.50 front 13.50 rear :D