PDA

View Full Version : trim and clean?

Jnunu1
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi - couple of noob style q's.

1. Should I trim a shell before or after painting?

2. What should i clean the unpainted shell with - is washing up liquid ok?

Cheers

Jnu

MHeadling
02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
1. I prefer to cut it out before painting, but alot of the pro sprayer on here paint them un cut.

2. Washing up liquid is fine, just make sure you rinse it out properly before painting.

On a side note, If you can spray in a warm enviroment and warm the cans up if your using them.

DCM
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
trimming is a matter of preference, I leave it till after painting, as the shell stays nice and stiff for spraying, but it don't matter.

Cleaning, use a small sponge, hot water and a good washing up liquid, and rinse with hot water, dry with kitchen roll.

Jnunu1
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for that.

Jnu

bigred5765
02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
i do the same as DCM,then liquid mask draw the design on the outside cut and paint

walden
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
I mount and cut out the bodyshell, then use a small drop of washing up liquid with cold water, wash out, rinse with cold water, then dry it with kitchen towel (use a branded product the cheaper ones leave white bits behind) once dried then use methylated spirits on a fresh new bit of kitchen towel to get rid anymore contamination. after that i apply liquid mask if you use solvent based paint you will need to apply around 4 heavy coats of liquid mask due to the solvent trying to eat into the liquid mask but if you use water based paint i use only 2 coats of liquid mask

HTH :)