PDA

View Full Version : Faskolor peeling off

Body Paint
31-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm having trouble with Faskolor paint.

I'm finding that when I peel the masking tape off the paint tends to peel off aswell. Does anyone else have this problem?

Better still has anyone found a way of stopping it happening.

GRIFF55
31-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Ihad that problem on my two shells as well, thought it was me rushing:confused:

DCM
31-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Craig, you got to either pull the tape off whilst the paint is still fresh or wait till it is very dry, anywhere inbetween and the paint sticks to each other more than it does the shell.

Northy
31-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Does it actually ever stick to the shell? :confused: I don't really see how it works with it being water based.

G

DCM
31-05-2007, 06:12 PM
The water is only the carrier and evaporates away. Only trouble I have with Faskolor, is people need to leave it cure a few days, then it sticks like shit to a blanket.

Body Paint
31-05-2007, 06:21 PM
I've found peeling when soft the only way, but that leaves a slightly rough line. I've left shells weeks to dry over a radiator and it still peeled.

I have tried backing the paint with solvent or acrylic paint and it seems to soak into the faskolor and make it stick properly, but it kind of defeats the object of faskolor :rolleyes:

telboy
31-05-2007, 06:47 PM
?:o

I always thought that faskolor was acrylic?!?

Anyway. The only problem I've had with faskolor is it actually wshing off when it gets wet. So I try to back it all with pactra white flo' cover coat now to seal it.

Sometimes it does peel off when it is put on top of another paint. but I've never had a problem with it actually peeling directly off the polycarb'...except in major impacts, as it isn't as flexible as the solvents.a
It does sometimes get a bit 'rubbery' when its at a certain dryness (if that makes sense), and its at this point when it tends to peel off from the lower paint layer. I always 'force' dry mine and don't unmask until it is properly dry.

It doesnt like to go ontop of chrome sometimes either. If the chrome is put down first for pinstriping you can quite easliy peel the chrome off when unmasking the other sections. which is a real bugger. so sometime when this starts to happen I end up having to re-cut all the lines again.

I still find solvent better, but the faskolor is better for my health so I put up with it.

DCM
31-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I have had it wash off, but that was with two day old paint and a seoaking astro track, nitro blocker works, but is smelly, I don't tend to back mine with anything, just point out that the paint needs time to 'cure' before use.

Solvent is better, but oh so smelly, and as I spray in the house, it's a no-no...

bigred5765
31-05-2007, 07:30 PM
?:o

I always thought that faskolor was acrylic?!?

Anyway. The only problem I've had with faskolor is it actually washing off when it gets wet. So I try to back it all with pactra white Flo' cover coat now to seal it.

Sometimes it does peel off when it is put on top of another paint. but I've never had a problem with it actually peeling directly off the polycarb'...except in major impacts, as it isn't as flexible as the solvents.a
It does sometimes get a bit 'rubbery' when its at a certain dryness (if that makes sense), and its at this point when it tends to peel off from the lower paint layer. I always 'force' dry mine and don't unmask until it is properly dry.

It doesn't like to go on top of chrome sometimes either. If the chrome is put down first for pin striping you can quite easily peel the chrome off when unmasking the other sections. which is a real bugger. so sometime when this starts to happen I end up having to re-cut all the lines again.

I still find solvent better, but the faskolor is better for my health so I put up with it.

just back it with faskoat it never washes of then,
and i use liquid mask it doesn't seem to lift paint at the edges,but remove the masking tape before paint is dry,but not when its wet,dry it with a hair dryer onces its dull remove the tape and all should be well, nice clean edge and no paint lift,

Body Paint
31-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I have noticed that different masking tapes seems to lift the paint more.

Maybe I'll try liquid mask.

To save me trawling through posts, where can I buy some?

MK999
31-05-2007, 09:49 PM
www.jespares.com (http://www.jespares.com) stock bob divelys :)

Body Paint
31-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks, that's more expensive than I thought.

Any alternatives ???

DCM
31-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Craig, I got a bottle you can have, and order some from RCBoyz on ebay, and replace mine with a new bottle (I got two unopened ones)

telboy
31-05-2007, 10:16 PM
dively's is the cheaper of the two. but it is better.

I already use divelys and have done for about 2 years now.

and i use liquid mask it doesn't seem to lift paint at the edges,but remove the masking tape before paint is dry,but not when its wet,dry it with a hair dryer onces its dull remove the tape and all should be well, nice clean edge and no paint lift

as I say, I already use liquid mask, and have my 'paint shop' all set up with hot air blowers to dry stuff quickly.;) It doesn't happen all the time, only if your in too much of a rush and try to cut corners to get things done quickly. But it never works that way, cos you end up spending more time on them than you wanted to to start with.:D

Drying is what its all about.

I've recently had to use masking tape due to a lack of liquid mask (luckily I have some now) and I used Tamiya tape with the faskolor and it had no problems at all with lifting the paint off of the shell.:)

Northy
31-05-2007, 10:19 PM
So, where can you still get Pactra from? Anyone want to part with some half empty jars? :confused:

G

bigred5765
31-05-2007, 10:19 PM
also make sure u scrub it with warm soapy water before you start,
also clean inside and out,oil from ur hands can cause it to lift, so clean and dry is the big secret

telboy
31-05-2007, 10:20 PM
I had to by some parma stuff for emergencies recently and it cost me nearly £8 for 8oz!
I always order 3 bottles of 32oz divelys from RCBoyz and it works out at about £16 per bottle including the shipping! Bargain!;)

Northy, what colour you wanting? I've got loads of pactra that I don't use anymore. But, otley modelsport do mail order on the pactra paints. thats where I get mine from now that all my LHS's have closed down!

MK999
31-05-2007, 10:29 PM
spaz stix is the way to go ! now if only they did solid colours :p :( although the anodised metals are kinda solid colours, hard to fade though being translucent :D

DCM
31-05-2007, 10:48 PM
bloody expensive though.....

MK999
31-05-2007, 11:00 PM
i've yet to get some really good results with it due to inexperience but in the places it came out ok it looks really good, as do any pics i've seen of it

DCM
31-05-2007, 11:02 PM
the bottles are small and not exactly cheap..... good for detail stuff though, still prefer fasckolor, don't smell either

MK999
31-05-2007, 11:32 PM
http://www.spazstix.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=toprated&cat=-4&pos=6 i take that back, seems it fades just fine :o

pro4nut
01-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Differant types of tape and the time left on make a huge differance, i don't like to spend out more than i have to so i use sellotape 2 day mask, you can buy it in whsmith!
The only other thing i make good use of is a hairdryer, i use a 2 speed ionic one but i would recommend cleaning paint off it before the wife spots you.....
As far as peeling off, i have never had this problem, just don't use a finished shell for 24 hours.

Here's one of mine;

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/Anyshell/DSC00102.jpg

Northy
01-06-2007, 11:32 AM
INorthy, what colour you wanting? I've got loads of pactra that I don't use anymore. But, otley modelsport do mail order on the pactra paints. thats where I get mine from now that all my LHS's have closed down!

Eeeerrrrr, white, black, flu orange, flu yellow, flu pink, silver, blue, red...... :D :D

G

Wraggy
01-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Eeeerrrrr, white, black, flu orange, flu yellow, flu pink, silver, blue, red...... :D :D

G

Interesting colour scheme your having then ??:o

neiloliver
01-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I use the Parma liquid mask stuff, it does three shells which aint too bad and you can get it from Apex along with their paper masking tape. I always back the paint with Faskoat and then put masking tape over any areas which might get rubbed. I always superglue my female velcro to the paint to stop it pulling off). i am sure the bob Div stuff is great, but at two shells per year its not worth getting it from over the pond.

I do miss the pactra smell. I remember getting as high as a kite doing my Topcat shell years ago!

M

telboy
01-06-2007, 06:59 PM

G

Bugger.:D

metalhead10
01-06-2007, 08:16 PM
So, where can you still get Pactra from? Anyone want to part with some half empty jars? :confused:

G
http://www.harlequinracing.com
dont think he has it listed on the site but if you email/ring him im sure he can sort you out as he has a stand with it all on also he used to spray shells with it as well as faskolor.

MK999
04-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I found i had this problem with faskolor, it sprayed really thick, clogged up my badger, spattered everywhere, seemed to manage to bleed under liquid mask somehow, despite being thick, it peeled wet, in between wet and dry, and dry, and took some other paint with it, and it seems it didn't like my nitro block i used to protect it from water (since it 'washes' off), since it cracked soon as it touched it, and took the paint underneath with it... built something of a hatred for faskolor :eh?:

bigred5765
04-06-2007, 10:24 PM
got to say i use to use pactra and custom colours,
i now only use faskolor, its better cleaner safe and easier to use,
use faskoat instead of nitro block its much better,

MK999
04-06-2007, 10:31 PM
it was my first time using it so maybe i expected too much, but i still thought it was fairly poor, even tamiya cans gave better results first time, and well, i was only expecting a plain white that didn't screw up too much :eh?:

jonmiller
04-06-2007, 11:03 PM
one thing nobody mentioned was ' thin layers '
spraying nice thin coats i find helps alot

MK999
04-06-2007, 11:12 PM
my paint usually goes on in about 15 or so layers, the first few almost invisible :p i don't see a reason to spray it any thicker really, although the viscosity of faskolor doesn't help, i also found it spattered a lot, just couldn't get a decent spray pattern for it, tried all sorts of pressures and airbrush settings :eh?:

jonmiller
05-06-2007, 12:24 AM
make a 50/50 mix of windolene n water n thin it abit with that

bigred5765
05-06-2007, 08:17 AM
yeah thin the white down a bit i use 40/60 split water and isochronal alcohol
but wind ex or windolean works and u may need a bigger needle if Ur using a badger air brush i use a ab one and it has a .50 needle and tip

niggs98
03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
have finally had a chance to try craigs mix of ipa/h2o on a shell and have also tried finer coats and wow what a difference. tape coming off alot easier and paint seems to be cureing quicker as well ( especially with forced drying) lines although not perfect are alot cleaner so am gonna try liquid mask next instead of masking tape as im told this will help. what ones do you guys use and where do you get it from ?????? and has anyone tried the fast colour version ?????

oh and tried anouther tip of backing the shell with clear laquer (halfords) a lot quicker and easier to use and does a really good job of sealing everything so the water cant lift it off

bigred5765
03-07-2007, 01:27 PM
jespares (http://www.jespares.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=786) sells it in the uk ask for the bob divleys stuff its the mutts nutts

DCM
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM
what is ipa and where do I get it/cost?

niggs98
03-07-2007, 01:55 PM
what is ipa and where do I get it/cost?

isopropanol alcohol = Ipa stu got mine from ebay and it wern't expensive. (only reason i know this is coz i asked in a previous thread :))

niggs98
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
will have to try a bottle then carl ;)

bigred5765
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
IPA can be bought from any chemist, if they ask what you are using it for i said cleaning DVD disc's, easier than trying to explain what faskolor is and why you need IPA to thin it

Body Paint
03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I was in a rush to paint my new S2 shell saturday night and used a black & recker paint stripper:o to dry the paint in between coats, was flippin' ace. I was a bit worried about the lexan melting but no problem, my masking went a bit soft but when I stripped it the lines were great, really crisp.

I started painting at 8.30 and finished at 12, that's a world record for me:)

DCM
03-07-2007, 05:51 PM
thats all I use Craig, is a heat gun, on hot but not to close to the shell.

telboy
03-07-2007, 08:33 PM
i used to use one too!

but i now use a fan heater, and put quite a few shells in front of it at once.