PDA

View Full Version : Help with shocks

Chris Griffiths
25-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Right ive been struggleing to get my shocks right for a hour now!!!!

So theres no shock bladders????

If this is right is there any tricks to getting them right, i either get loas of air in or there so tight i cant push shaft in atall, Ive got the bleeded caps aswell but so far im having no luck

Thanks guys

KinWild
25-02-2010, 12:11 PM
http://users.telenet.be/elvo/12/8/
You can also try yokomo membranes:
http://www.pro-s-futaba.co.jp/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=294
Or Asso caps with bleeders:
ASC6443

Chris Griffiths
25-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Ive got the bleeder caps but its still awfull! ive tried everything i think im past my patience point so there getting binned, no way i can have that at the track.

Chris

sparrow.2
25-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Don't get discouraged. They will never feel like Losi shocks and wouldn't work if they did. You actaually need an amount of air in them for them to work properly.

I always build mine this way:

- fill oil untill about halfway
- push piston up making sure it doesn't come out of the oil
- pull down slowly(!) so the air bubbles rise up from under the piston
- Fill to about 3mm from top
- push piston all the way up keeping it in the oil
- fill up with oil so that it's flush with the top of the shock
- put two drops into the cap
- assemble quickly :)
- see how it feels and if it's too stiff undo the cap about 1.5 turns and push the shaft in to bleed the excess oil out

Job done.

Haven't tried the bleeder caps yet but the old ones work fine too.

Big G
25-02-2010, 01:19 PM
start with the piston half in.
fill the shock.
slowly pull the piston out making sure you don't break the surface of the oil.
fill the shock 90% full and slowly work the piston up and down a few times to remove any remaining bubbles.
top up the rest of the shock so it's a little dome on the top.

repeat for the otherside and compare the 2.

then fit the screw to the cap and fit both caps to the both shocks. test. if they feel the same which they should and there is no air great. if they get hard at the top remove the screw a few turns to let some out and work a tiny bit out. much easier to remove oil instead of put more in I feel.

done this method a few times now and got my shocks really really smooth without even having to remove the screw in the cap to bleed them.

edit: the post above was written while I was typing lol

sosidge
25-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Don't get discouraged. They will never feel like Losi shocks and wouldn't work if they did. You actaually need an amount of air in them for them to work properly.

I always build mine this way:

- fill oil untill about halfway
- push piston up making sure it doesn't come out of the oil
- pull down slowly(!) so the air bubbles rise up from under the piston
- Fill to about 3mm from top
- push piston all the way up keeping it in the oil
- fill up with oil so that it's flush with the top of the shock
- put two drops into the cap
- assemble quickly :)
- see how it feels and if it's too stiff undo the cap about 1.5 turns and push the shaft in to bleed the excess oil out

Job done.

Haven't tried the bleeder caps yet but the old ones work fine too.

I have an even easier and quicker way than that.

With the piston down, fill the body so that the oil is just reaching the top of the body, with a concave meniscus (the oil looks like a bowl). Stroke the shaft up and down to get rid of any big bubbles and top up if necessary. Moisten the cap with a drop of oil so it makes a good seal, screw it on, job done.

A correctly built shock will not stiffen up as you compress it, and may have a tiny squeak of air at full compression. It will probably rebound about half the stroke, slowly - this is normal because the air tries to recover its normal pressure.

If it stiffens up under compression - too much oil. If it has a big squeak and you can feel a dead spot at the top of the stroke - too much air. If it tries to suck the piston in from full extension - too little air.

Chris Griffiths
25-02-2010, 04:24 PM
right just done this, my shafts only rebound about 3-5mm tho??

Chris

sosidge
25-02-2010, 06:12 PM
right just done this, my shafts only rebound about 3-5mm tho??

Chris

Sounds fine.

Chris Griffiths
25-02-2010, 06:21 PM
HOORAH!!!!!

Cheers guys