PDA

View Full Version : 2wd car

jimmy
05-03-2006, 06:27 PM
There have been rumours around that the 2wd car has been put back until next year or even shelved totally.. I did see a photo last week of the car with a new shell that ive not seen before, similar to a B4 shell, which makes me think they are still working on it and nearing completion.

And then today down at batley, someone tells me that (no names mentioned) went to japan last week and they were for sale .... but sold out... ?
Anyone else hear about the car actually being released already in japan ? I cant really beleive it since they have been so quiet about it.

jimmy
05-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh yes, and rumour has it a glut of Kyosho official alloy parts are out, and some of the moulds have been updated to strengthen parts, these are things like the rear hubs etc which are prone to breaking.
And also a hopped-up car is on the way with all the extra fancy stuff already included.

so im told.

:p

PaulRotheram
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
mad rumours..

jimmy
07-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Mad indeed.
my top secret contact in japan ;) says they know nothing about it, so I think I'll go with that.

BluesFan
07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd be first in line to buy a 2WD from Kyosho after how the new 4WD has been treating me. I'd expect the same great quality and very competitive chassis in the 2WD like they've done for the ZX-5. It's a shame they've shelved the project for now. Mark Pavidis said on the Grid that Kyosho is not planning on releasing the 2WD any time soon if at all. Shame really. Isn't it about time there was another choice outside of 2 manufacturers? With the popularity of 2WD electric buggy around the world, you'd assume there would be a lot of money out there to make on this class considering there is only 2 other companies to compete with.... but what do I know? Maybe it makes more sense to continually update the 1/8 gas buggy even though there are 10+ other cars out there to compete for sales.

jimmy
07-03-2006, 01:52 PM
It's a shame for sure, I know its hard to compete with the likes of a B4 as its so good but if they can build something as good then it will sell for no other reason than people want something different.
The zx5 must be a pretty good seller for kyosho, see a lot of them track side.

At least Xfactory are working on a 2wd car.

Northy
07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
IMHO it's probably a lot easier to design a quick 4wd than it is a 2wd, but it would be good to have another choice.

The last pictures I saw of the Kyosho, it looked a bit old skool, a bit B2 looking!

The X-6 looks cool, wink wink.

jimmy
07-03-2006, 03:41 PM
the prototype was using the chassis from the ultima rb type-R which was a bit of a B2/3 clone.

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products/car_bike/buggy/ultima/ep_ultima_rb_r_evo/img/1.gif

MattW
07-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Seems a little odd to go to all the effort they have and then not release it.

There are some "spy" shots of Pavidis and Kortz's 2wd prototypes in last months "RC Car" mag (from the US).

Looks ok, and interesting that the 2 of them were clearly testing different things on their cars.

Odd if it has all dried up.

DCM
07-03-2006, 11:30 PM
It is such a tight market, maybe Kyosho didn't see the viability in it in the end so pulled the plug before going down the chassis moulding route.

Northy
08-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Exactly, tooling plastic parts is NOT cheap!