PDA

View Full Version : what you do after every race ?

xchange
01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi Guys,

in december i purchased a brand new Dex410

Great buggy and i m very happy after 2 race with it.

But, as you read, i raced with it only 2time with my durango and i m shocked about all of the servicing needing...

i m explain :

- Diff leaking (but build with the durango tips) unassembling the front&rear diff aprox 2hours
- Shock service 1.5 hours
- Ball bearing checking and replacing (6x bearing after 2 run!!!!!!! WTF! ) 1.5hour
- CVD checking and rescrewing 1.5hour
- Cleaning 2hours

So... for 1hour of runtime.... 8.5 servicing.....

I m alone in this situation or the durango need a lot of time to servicing after only 2 races ?

(i m not speeking english fluently, so sorry for that ahah)

Adam Skelding
01-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I've just done the first overhaul on my car since I built it in September it was one out of the first batch.

I've only just changed the shock seals, (they were fine) and I've logged 17 meetings with the car. The shock oil was still clear.

Diff's they hardly leak at all but I top up before each meeting, to make sure the starting point is always the same.
If they are leaking alot, then you are probably over filling them.

CVD's are still built from the first time I did them. The grease has kept grit free in the boots, so there was no need to service them.

2 Hours cleaning - Sounds like you run in a pretty dirty atmosphere, The complete strip and re-build of the car took about 6 hours.

Between meetings I've done very little, brush the dust off, charge the LiPo and ready for the next meeting.

Probably the least amount of work I've ever done on any R/C car, ask the Mrs, I'm not in my workroom anywhere near as much as I was with my D4...

:thumbsup:

sime46
01-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Crikey mate. I'd suggest a different car if it takes you 8.5 hrs to do those little jobs, or perhaps a new hobby.lol. All cars require some maintenance and in my opinion this car is probably the easiest car to work on available. To me this hobby isn't just about the racing. The engineering and preparation is a large part of the fun I have. Re the times it takes, the more you do it, the quicker you'll get. Its an awesome car dude. Stick with it and you'll love it.

b4pete
01-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I've just done the first overhaul on my car since I built it in September it was one out of the first batch.

I've only just changed the shock seals, (they were fine) and I've logged 17 meetings with the car. The shock oil was still clear.

Diff's they hardly leak at all but I top up before each meeting, to make sure the starting point is always the same.

CVD's are still built from the first time I did them. The grease has kept grit free in the boots, so there was no need to service them.

2 Hours cleaning - Sounds like you run in a pretty dirty atmosphere, The complete strip and re-build of the car took about 6 hours.

Between meetings I've done very little, brush the dust off, charge the LiPo and ready for the next meeting.

Probably the least amount of work I've ever done on any R/C car, ask the Mrs, I'm not in my workroom anywhere near as much as I was with my D4...

Was it one of the first batch, or pre production?

Adam Skelding
01-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Was it one of the first batch, or pre production?

Kit number TD00046

JohnM
01-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Mine was one of the first kits, and so far it sounds much the same as Adam's, only real work has been a couple of strip downs after wet Stotfold winter series meets (would've been the same for any car), and changing diff oils to suit racing at Stotfold on astro-turf, and at Coastal Model Car Club's tarmac track.

Only just changed the oil for the first time since late September, still clean, hadn't seemed to have lost any either, and all of my running is outside, no cleanish village halls for mine.

So far, I've had a couple of cvd pins come loose at the begining, but since then I've built them correctly, I've had no problems, and I stripped a spur gear after the motor came loose, again, my fault.

Adam, I know what you mean about the D4, ran one last year, never had to do so much work on a car ever! Needed a rebuild before during and after a meeting!

With the DEX, it's take car off shelf, go racing, come home, put car back on shelf, leave till next week, etc.....lovely:thumbsup:

Hulk
01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Has it seriously taken you 8.5 hours to service your cars after two runs!?!?

Ive had mine since October last year and hardly spend any time maintaining the car at all. I race once a week almost every week and the only real time i spend preparing my car is on the day of the race.

As for the diffs leaking you need to build them correctly making sure you use plenty of grease to seal them up, i use waterproof grease and have had no problems with diffs leaking. Ive gone at least 4 weeks without touching the diffs and they have stayed leak free during that time. I tend not to go 4 weeks normally though as i often change diff oils as a tuning option.

My previous car was a Losi xx4, now thats a car that needs constant servicing! I stripped a belt and did a spur gear in one meeting, good job it was at a national as it took me nearly an hour to replace the belt, then another hour to replace the spur after my secon race. Thats one of the main reasons i switched to a Durango and a wise decision its turned out to be.

As long as you keep on top of things on the day of racing you really shouldnt have to do much servicing during the week. Most problems occur due to parts not been put together correctly, if they are then potential problems are kept to a minimum.

As for the shocks ive only changed oild once since i got the car and thats mainly due to what Adam said, when i did go to change the oil it was completely clear!! Shock boots work wonders.

Not sure what surface youve been racing on but if it took you 2 hours to clean the car it must have been a mud bath! lol :woot:

Craig Collinson

Fispud
01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
It seems like you have big problems building diffs. 2 hours for two diffs, thats just insane :eh?:. I've rebuilt my mugen in less than that.

xchange
01-03-2010, 06:45 PM
hehe,

guys, i m not thinking the durango was a bad car! But i m surprised how much time need to spend for the maintenance.

We run in this place :

-xQAu9wDD_o

The surface as medium grip and loose dirt mixed with clay.

i know 8.5 hour is little bit long but i like when my cars was great in shape.

So, yeah 2hour to rebuild a diff, usually i rebuild a diff completly in 20min but when you need to remove internal gear to grease de Xring... it's a bit longer.

After that, i remove every bearing to check and every CVD to rescrew and check.

Before the durango, i ran an hot bodies D4... and sincerly, the maintenance was little bit more boring due to the numer of screw needed to remove the top deck to find the diffs but i never replaced any bearing on the car and i check after every race.

i m hardly thinking to replace all of my bearing by boca bearing Abec 7... may be is the solution.

And no, i m not very hard on the gas... i never broke anything on the durango.

So may be i m a bit the cleaning freak ahah

Fispud
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
So may be i m a bit the cleaning freak ahah

Sounds like it, dude!:D

xchange
01-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey, i just thinking ... how was tight our slipper ?

My tire slip on the ground every time i put the gas on... and my slipper is setuped like the manual.

After unscrewing my slipper, the power transfert better to the ground and wheel slip less and traction is better.. normal hehe

So, how is tight your slipper ?

Jedi Master
01-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Very few issues with mine. I dust it off, check for loose screws and thats about it. Diffs don't leak and my shocks are fine. Nothing seems to wear at all.

Adam Skelding
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey, i just thinking ... how was tight our slipper ?

My tire slip on the ground every time i put the gas on... and my slipper is setuped like the manual.

After unscrewing my slipper, the power transfert better to the ground and wheel slip less and traction is better.. normal hehe

So, how is tight your slipper ?
Every track I alter my slipper.
The manual is just a guide. I've always run every car I've had so I can just hear the slipper. Slipper working is better than wheels spinning. :)

xchange
01-03-2010, 10:02 PM
thank you adam!

OFF TOPIC : Last question please... do you have any news about the DNX 408 ? or a possible release date ?

Thank you