PDA

View Full Version : 8/10 series will allow brushless in our own class!!!!!

axeman
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Gents this is a big step forwards for us.
Glyn Morgan is allowing us to have our own class in the 8/10 series!!!
I have emailed Marvin to make a slight rule change to his proposed rules, nothing major I promise.
We need to get behind this and make it happen we need to have enough of us for our own heat or two!!.
Please register your interest on this thread, do not use the online booking yet as you will endup in a nitro heat..
Watch this space for more info!!!

axeman
07-03-2010, 08:56 AM
info for series!!! there are some top astro tracks here
http://www.racecentral.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=30

Marvin
07-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I can only do it as a PDF, as I have no longer got the original (editable) copy - it's on an old HDD which I now use as a backup drive (so it has been wiped). I still have the PDF, so the best bet would be to stick an ammendment on the bottom citing the appropriate number - it's been written like the BRCA handbook.

Body Paint
08-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't mind doing one or two of these, not sure I have a car that would cope with it though :(

Steve: Where is Taliwaine ? LOL

James
08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I hereby register my interest..

gnr racer
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't mind doing one or two of these, not sure I have a car that would cope with it though :(

Steve: Where is Taliwaine ? LOL
Give him a thunder tigger S2 with a loose wheel & he'll kick our butts :cry:

Body Paint
14-03-2010, 01:54 PM
After a bit of off track testing I have a little more confidence in this car now, I may have a look at a bit of racing with it soon ;)

I could well be interested in a round or 2 of the 8/10

axeman
14-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Track test all you like!!! I believe if you hit an ant crossing the track you will be in big trouble!!!!

All looking good on the 8/10 rounds Glyn Morgan has been racing my 8.5e and is now putting one together for himself!!!!

Marvin
14-03-2010, 06:40 PM
There will be no nationals this year though, as the guys who run the truggy nationals changed their minds about letting the electrics run with them.

So the 8/10 series will be the first 'big' series to allow 1/8th electrics, albeit with crippled battery rules.

DaveG28
14-03-2010, 07:00 PM
What are the rules?

Marvin
14-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Hardcase only batteries, though homemade hardcases are allowed apparantly. Even though a hardcase is a thin bit of ABS plastic, I'm assured it makes LiPos much safer (!).

BRS
15-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Hardcase Lipo of any cell count?

Marvin
15-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Up to and including 6S.

axeman
15-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Gents this has been a point of discussion!!
Due to the ruleing in 1/10 of hardcase BRCA approved only!! We have had to fight hard to stop 1/8th electric going down the same street for now!
The rule is you can use your 5-6 cell softcase lipo's no problem!! but they need to be in a hardcase, either a homemade plastic one around the battery or a hard case you put the lipo into on the car.
As marvins rules state the race director may wish to inspect your lipo on the day.
The reasoning behind the hard-case is to stop the battery being peircerd in the event of a crash..
Please do-not bend this rule in anyway. It will save you all over £100 per battery!! we need this year to go well and safe to prevent the BRCA bringing in the rule of approved BRCA batterys only and we all know we wont see much change out of £200

Marvin
15-03-2010, 04:09 PM
'The reasoning behind the hard-case is to stop the battery being peircerd in the event of a crash..'

Pfff...

'Hard case' most are made from 1-2mm ABS/polycarbonate. Have you seen how easily that is pierced? I maintain that a hard case gives scrape and scratch resistance, but is not of any use in an impact. Oh well, needs must.

Themaddog
25-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Marvin

you have to be the most negative person i have read posts from and i take offence to the fact we didnt allow Brushless Rallycross at the Truggy nationals we have respected another sections Request

We have given you the chance to shine at the 8-ten series and you can have your very own heats with your own rules and i will persoanlly pay for the end of series Trophy Like im going to do for the brushless truggies, ill give you all the publicity you want Hell you can even right your own race report!!

So start getting a little positive and be grateful for the likes of Steve Axon convincing me in the first place

Glyn

DCM
25-03-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't see where the issue is, in trying to protect your investment in cells, electronics and personal safety, I would of thought having to encase your power source to be a small burden to bare.

It may also stop the use of cheap flight cells, of low C rating too, which just won't be up to the task.

Body Paint
26-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Track test all you like!!! I believe if you hit an ant crossing the track you will be in big trouble!!!!

Dude you are starting to sound like Marvin! Way to encourage people :p

Marvin
26-03-2010, 12:41 AM
It may also stop the use of cheap flight cells, of low C rating too, which just won't be up to the task.

Seriously? Have you ever experienced the over-inflated car cell ratings?

I apologise for being a bit negative, but look at the lessons learnt in the US. Almost all clubs run a 6S limit, soft case allowed, and their numbers are flourishing.

I'm not having a go when it comes to the 8/10 series allowing electrics, it's highly commendable and a great step forwards, but I do not see the point in forcing people to have hard cased LiPos. If they are well secured in a decent box/tray then there is no more danger than in 1/10th with hard cased LiPos - this is where in the rules I wrote that cars must be inspected prior to use to ensure suitability of such trays.

If all my posts are seen as negative, maybe I'll just stop posting altogether, as I'm clearly no use.

Battle_axe
26-03-2010, 01:37 AM
marvin the rules dont say anything about the strength of the box just wack it in the blister pack it was shiped in that is a case and hard is it not? :p

DCM
26-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Seriously? Have you ever experienced the over-inflated car cell ratings?

Well, I don't tend to believe EVERYTHING the adverts say.

As for the C Rating, if they are to low, those cells are going to get toasty, and yes, they do. During the winter running a 10.5 with low C Rating cells, I can easily raise the core temp of the cell, and thats only having to push a 1350g weight of car, not the weight of an 8th car. I guess, when someone comes along with a good spec cell, and just has more grunt everywhere and more run time, if your competitive you will buy those cells, and chances are, they will be hard cased anyway.

And healthy discussion is always good!