PDA

View Full Version : US Durango Owners

gijoe64
10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Hello I would like to get setup information from US owners for outdoor tracks. What tires, gearing ect? Im just building my kit and I would like to know what spares should I buy? What diff oils should I have in my box?

Thanks
Ray

HyperFX
11-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Diff oil choice depends on your track/personal preference. But, you might consider stocking drive pins (or make your own), a marine quality gear grease, thread lock, a spur or two, axle nuts, servo saver, a-arms (if the track is fast and tight, and your driving is fast and loose! LOL!), and wings, if you can't keep it "shiny-side-up". Might also, get an appropriate set of springs for your track/driving style.
I was lucky, and bought a used kit that had almost every spare, and all the option parts, too. I've replaced about 6 parts so far, and had all of them in the spares box. I make my own pins from steel rod, purchased from the LHS. $2 for three rods at 3ft each, makes a lot of pins!
Until we get a US distributor, and the LHS's begin stocking TD parts, you can get great service directly from TD. I've ordered from TD twice, for wheels, and to replace the spares I used, and it never takes more than 3 days.

annonymous
11-03-2010, 03:58 AM
other than pins, which every company makes, i cant break it! so just get the traditional odds and ends.........arms, hubs, hinge pins and shock shafts, and all of the little bushings for the hinge pins and front knuckles.........I would get like 12 spurs, because they like to let loose at the worst times i have found, and they are unique to the durango

gijoe64
11-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Cool I will start ordering parts, how does the buggy handle on larger tracks? I will be racing on a large track.

annonymous
11-03-2010, 04:38 AM
if it is a large, US style track. . . . . . . . . awesome. . . . . . . . (/speechless) throw as much motor at it as you dare - you will fold under the power before it will

gijoe64
11-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Tires?

annonymous
11-03-2010, 04:53 AM
track specific - - - it depends on the soil. My track is a sandy clay and i run JC Double Dee's all around - - - - Any JC, Proline, and occasionally Losi tires seems to be whats most popular in the US, but it really depends on the track.

HyperFX
11-03-2010, 06:57 AM
What part of the States are you in, Joe? I'm in TX. San Antonio, Austin, Waco, Dallas. I know of only 3, possibly 4 people in this area that have the 410's right now. Annonymous being one of them. What about your area?

gijoe64
11-03-2010, 10:39 PM
So far I am the only one in Il with a 410! I will be running my car at the US Nationals.

blackstring
12-03-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm probably the closest 410 owner to you. I'm up in milwaukee and regularly attend S&N's Trackside(which I'm at right now). Depending on my schedule I would like to attend that race too.

ApexSpeed
12-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I really want one. Did you guys order direct or buy second-hand from the fellas here?

gijoe64
12-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I purchaced my buggy new from a team driver.

gijoe64
12-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm probably the closest 410 owner to you. I'm up in milwaukee and regularly attend S&N's Trackside(which I'm at right now). Depending on my schedule I would like to attend that race too.

Thats cool what tires do you think I should buy for my buggy? and what parts should I purchase to have in my box. Ive raced at Trackside before, how do you lik the buggy at your track?

gijoe64
12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
What batt packs will fit in the 410?

dex410usa
13-03-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/155521/n/ProTek-R-C-2S-Supreme-Power-Li-Poly-30C-Hard-Case-Saddle-Battery-74V-4200mAhROAR-Approved

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/34448/n/Reedy-2S-Hard-Case-Li-Poly-EFRA-Saddle-Battery-Pack-35C-74V-4200mAh

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intellect-Lipo-Battery-7-4V-5000mah-35C-Saddle-Pack_W0QQitemZ260554883517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3caa4801bd

blackstring
14-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Thats cool what tires do you think I should buy for my buggy? and what parts should I purchase to have in my box. Ive raced at Trackside before, how do you lik the buggy at your track?

I use Losi pink Bk-bars in the rear and either pink tapers / jconcepts gold barcodes in the front. Trackside is a little small for such a beast weighing 240grams more than legal. But is still such a great car with a LOT of steering. Dont be discouraged off the bat, the car has a bit of a front weight bias with running lipos over NIMH. So steering, front tire wear, and rear twitchyness will be on the high side. It drives really good when the traction is high however. I'm still playing with dampening as the team setups over seas seams to be too light.

gijoe64
14-03-2010, 06:05 AM
I use Losi pink Bk-bars in the rear and either pink tapers / jconcepts gold barcodes in the front. Trackside is a little small for such a beast weighing 240grams more than legal. But is still such a great car with a LOT of steering. Dont be discouraged off the bat, the car has a bit of a front weight bias with running lipos over NIMH. So steering, front tire wear, and rear twitchyness will be on the high side. It drives really good when the traction is high however. I'm still playing with dampening as the team setups over seas seams to be too light.

I purchaced the weight set for the buggy, are you using the weights? Do they solve the front weight bias? I will be racing my buggy outdoors so I might try a lighter setup. Yeah Trackside has a pretty sticky indoor tack so i think tires might be different I will have to do some testing with tires for a loose hardpacked track.

HyperFX
14-03-2010, 07:11 AM
I found that using the rear and side weights on a tight indoor clay track, caused the rear to slide out, or pendulum too much. Removing the rear, and keeping the sides helped a little, but removing the weights completely made the car more agile, predictable, and planted in corners. Try with/without to see what works best for you.
Note: My 410 seems to favor a dry, loose, rough surface. When other cars can't find traction, the 410 is very stable, and smooth. High traction, smooth surfaces give other cars a bit more equal footing.

gijoe64
14-03-2010, 07:11 PM
are you going to be racing your buggy outdoors? If so how much will your setup change? Also hat type of tires will you use?

I going to try the Worlds SA setup, im going to start with losi red tappers and as the weather gets hotter I will go to a JC or Proline tire.

gijoe64
16-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Almost ready!

gijoe64
07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey guys what rims are you using? I got some rims comming from J Concepts and I wanted to know if there needs to be any modifications to makes different rims fit?

grapejuice
07-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm using Losi rims, haven't tried j concepts...

HyperFX
08-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm using Losi rears (slightly wider offset), JConcepts Rulux for B44, and AE B44 wheels.
But, I prefer the Team Durango wheels. They seem more durable/predictable, on the track.
I don't mod the rears at all, but I do shave the inside edge of the fronts to keep them from rubbing the steering link ball cups.

odanota
25-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Do you guys know if a mamba max pro will fit into the Durango? I am trying to decide on a ESC and the Mamba seems like the best price for what you get. Would this be a bad ESC to go with if it did fit?

nitrokillah
25-04-2010, 10:08 PM
odanota -
a friend of mine has one in his
not the nicest setup
but seemed ok for space .
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6135/p1050541t.jpg

odanota
25-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Thank you for the post and pic. Did your friend not like the esc and motor or was it just not the cleanest set-up?

annonymous
26-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Do you guys know if a mamba max pro will fit into the Durango? I am trying to decide on a ESC and the Mamba seems like the best price for what you get. Would this be a bad ESC to go with if it did fit?

i tried a MMPro in my buggy. . . .it was a tight fit because of my futaba reciver, but if you remove the fan and cut a few pins off of the heatsink, it slips in right under the center shaft up against the center bulkhead, with none of the wires in contact with moving parts

odanota
26-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Did you like the MMpro or should I just spend the money on something else like an LRP?

annonymous
26-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Did you like the MMpro or should I just spend the money on something else like an LRP?

i really did like it. . . . . the ESC i general, i have run the same esc in all kinds of cars, from 1/8 buggy to the durango . . . . . its only true disadvantage is its size, its layout makes it a bit of a tough one in the durango, but it can be done pretty easily. .. . . . it will take anything you through at it in the durango, and its price and support is great

odanota
26-04-2010, 03:29 AM
I think I will give the ESC and the Motor a try then.

annonymous
26-04-2010, 06:10 AM
I think I will give the ESC and the Motor a try then.

the MMPro/5700 sensorless combo castle offers will make that Durango fly . . . . and the price is great . . . .good luck!

Speaking of ESC's, this is a bit out of left field, but has anyone had any issues with ESC brownouts in a durango? I have been running a RSPro, and it would brownout under high load (straight away) and stick wide open throttle until it hit something hard (a runaway 4wd w/ a 6.5 is FUN!!!). . . . . there is a lot more to it after weeks of diagnostics, but i just want to see if anyone has experienced anything like it before i explain it all . . . . . . i ask on the Durango forum because me and several other people have come to the conclusion i am more prone to it than other drivers because of the weight of the Durdango

JohnM
26-04-2010, 02:10 PM
i ask on the Durango forum because me and several other people have come to the conclusion i am more prone to it than other drivers because of the weight of the Durdango

I don't think it's due to the car being heavier then others, I have a few friends running HB D4s, that are a good 100grams heavier then my DEX410

annonymous
26-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think it's due to the car being heavier then others, I have a few friends running HB D4s, that are a good 100grams heavier then my DEX410

the weight contributes, not causes. . . . mine is a good 200g heavier than everyone else, and a 6.5 pulls a lot of power when it has to push a heavy car . . . . it is a combination of crappy battery cells, car weight, and possibly wounded electronics. . . . . anyone had anything like this happen?

gijoe64
26-04-2010, 11:37 PM

I would suggest you buy a Tekin RS or the Pro. Very small foot print and very easy to use. I use a RS with a 6.5 motor very good:thumbsup:

werner1619
02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Had mine for a bit, the best way i found to tame the rear is to use the rear droop screws. Standard the rear has more negative suspension travel than the front and contributes greatly to the rear unsettleness. Make the rear the same as the front as a starting point and reduce to prefrance.

Using a front swaybar also helped smooth it out a bit. No rear swaybar for me, loose to much lateral traction.

I am thinking of parting with mine if anyone is interested.

Adam Skelding
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
We at Team Durango are short of set-up information for the DEX410 in the USA.
The tracks are much different to those we mainly run on in Europe and we are looking for set-ups from drivers in the US.

Could you have a look at the how to save your set-ups section on the Team Durango blog and send in your set-ups.

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=775

Thanks in advance