PDA

View Full Version : Difference in steering...

KBRacing
16-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Race

:confused: What is the difference between Rack type steering and Bell Crank type one no the AC Cr2 ....???

Wraggy
16-03-2010, 09:32 PM
i think the rack uses a different ackerman than the bellcranks.im sure a Losi driver will correct me if im wrong:woot:

freud
16-03-2010, 09:39 PM
PompinO :woot:

AmiSMB
16-03-2010, 10:50 PM
And which type do people recommend as mine currently has the rack type which does not seem to have much ackerman effect as both wheels seem to be at almost the same angle. I have yet to play with washers under the balls etc.

flipside
16-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Well the rack steering was one of the changes Losi made when going from the BK2 to the CR car. I has indeed something to do with ackermann, but from what I remember it made the car steer much better. Before the CR, people did some crazy mods to the steering to get the same effect.

At least for me it made the car better, providing better steering. Now I hear some people talking about getting back the old steering system, which I find a bit strange...

I would simply keep the rack, and if you want to play with ackermann you need to add washers under certain ballstuds, but don't ask me where :-)

I believe there are more important things to do to a setup before having to resort to these kind of changes.

bye!

Gayo
17-03-2010, 10:00 AM
And which type do people recommend as mine currently has the rack type which does not seem to have much ackerman effect as both wheels seem to be at almost the same angle. I have yet to play with washers under the balls etc.

Yeah, same for me. I don't "like" the angles I see on the car with the rack system, but the car seems to be allright like this.
I'm thinking about trying the old steering system once I know the car better.

paul01ews
18-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Ok , I am lost now:o
Which is it the bell or rack?

ashleyb4
18-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Use the rack.

A

AmiSMB
19-03-2010, 12:03 AM
And add washers for more ackerman effect which makes the steering more aggressive.

flipside
19-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Isn't it the other way around? Less aggressive?

AmiSMB
19-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I asked Rich Barton and he said more agressive with washers but now I am unsure :lol: This is from one website:-

Ackerman describes the difference in steering angle between the two front wheels. Increasing the ackerman effect is accomplished by moving the steering rod or link that connects to the steering rack more towards the rear of the car.
More ackerman makes the steering more consistent and smoother, especially at low speeds and in tight turns, by creating a bigger difference in steering angle between the two front wheels.
Less ackermann or no ackerman makes the steering more aggressive at high speeds. The car turns in more aggressively but it doesn't work well when either traction or cornering speeds are low. Not having enough ackerman can make the the steering feel unnatural.

and of course the best of all Elvo RC Car handling The Ackermann Effect (http://users.telenet.be/elvo/4/4.html)

So I think what I was trying to achieve was smoother and more steering and at slower speeds in tight turns and to make the steering less aggressive at higher speeds by adding washers underneath the ball studs in the steering rack.

V-Rossi
19-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I have tried it at the last National, which had a newish astroturf surface. Stability and predictable steering weren't present all the time so I tried 1 extra gold washer (the ones you use under the camber links). The result was a smoother corner entry and steering was a bit more predictable.

Difference wasn't big at all, I think you won't even feel it on most tracks, but there I definitely felt it.