PDA

View Full Version : Body shell questions

Alexi
25-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi, just a few quick questions regarding my custom XXX-4.

Firstly, when you buy the shell, how much excess lexan do you get? I know that's a really random question, but basically I want to extend the sides straight down, so I can raise the shell by about 15mm. I hope that makes sense, does any one know?

Secondly, does the body shell come with the spur gear cover? If not, where can I get hold of one?

Also, I don't have the slipper clutch tool, can I just use a wrench?

Thanks in advance,
Alexi

_sleigh_
25-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi Alexi,

I have a brand new bodyshell at home, so I will look at the height of the sides for you when I get home from work.

As for the gear cover, I'm 99.9% sure that it is NOT included with the body. The part number is A4209 and your should be able to order this from your LHS.

You will almost certainly NOT be able to use a standard wrench on the XXX-4 slipper, as the access to the slipper nut is very narrow. This is why they include a special tool. I may have one if you are struggling, again I'll look tonight.

Cheers

Phil

Alexi
25-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Phil, you are awesome, thanks!

If you have a spare minute, and it's not too much trouble, a picture of the shell side on would really help me out, but don't worry if you can't ;) Thanks for the part number for the gear cover, my LHS have that in stock.

If you have a spare slipper tool, that would really help me out. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :)

_sleigh_
25-06-2007, 08:04 PM
See the photo (below) of a new shell.

The sides have an additional 5mm below the standard cut line. Which means the sides vary from 37mm at the front sloping upto 47mm at the back. Also take into account the motor side has an air inlet which reduce the available internal space.

I've had a quick look for the slipper tool but not found it as yet. There is a slim chance I sent it with my car when it was sold. If I find it in the near future, I'll let you know.

http://www.telfordmcc.co.uk/brca-midwest/gfx/xxx4shell.jpg (http://www.telfordmcc.co.uk/brca-midwest/gfx/xxx4shell.jpg)

Alexi
26-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi Phil, thanks for the help. It sounds like it will be a tight fit :D
Well I had better finish the car off first (hopefully in the next few days) and then see how much I need to raise the stock shell by. Then if all is well I will get a new shell, so thanks for the photos and the measurements ;)

As for the slipper tool, thanks for looking, that was very good of you. Thanks for all your help.

_sleigh_
26-06-2007, 10:24 AM
If you do need a new shell, then the one in the photo is up for sale ;)

Alexi
26-06-2007, 03:17 PM
If you do need a new shell, then the one in the photo is up for sale ;)

How very convenient :D
How much? Does it have the wing? You wouldn't happen to have a set of decals too would you?

May well be interested!