PDA

View Full Version : Yes another lens thread

ashleyb4
26-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I soon will be investing in a nikon d70s. I have found the body for a good price but im after a lense. I want it for taking pictures like jimmy and stu do and for general use liketaking pictures of statoinary cars and other general use. The thing i dont get is all the sizes and which oneis best suited to rc action shots ive seen a few cheap ones on ebay but im not sure what to get help me jimmy and stu im going mad!!!!

Wat about any of these????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Nikkor-70-300mm-AF-f-4-5-6G-Telephoto-Zoom-Lens_W0QQitemZ300123149207QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3343Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-AFD-28-105mm-f3-5-4-5-IF-Macro-Focusing-Zoom-lens_W0QQitemZ200122546201QQihZ010QQcategoryZ30070 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A

P.s. CAUTION PHOTOGRAPHY NEWBIE!!!!!!

telboy
26-06-2007, 10:12 PM
sorry to steal your thread ash,

wot do people think of these?-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190125295319&rd=1&rd=1

pretty cheap, are sigma any good?

soz ash.:rolleyes:
;)

ashleyb4
26-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Its ok i may learn something from it. Its all good knowledge.

A

jimmy
26-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Good choice ash - I like the nikon stuff myself, I think it handles better than anything.

Right as for lenses.. might be worth checking out kenrockwell.com for specific words on those lenses.. his site is hard to navigate so if you have any problem finding the lens area lemme know

nikonians is some sort of nikon owner site but ive not used it.. I think they have some sorta membership thing going on but I think theres also a fee-free option.. not sure tbh..

Last resort is dpreview.com, as it might have some info and the nikon forums are good.. Oh, also there is fredmiranda.com now I think about it, there will be user reviews of all the lenses you can think of on there

I have a friend who has used that 70-300 with great results - but you have to understand that it doesn't do it for you and you have to work to get the shot. With a lens like that one also it will not be rapid at focusing and not very good for low light stuff...

The 70-300 is a poor range for general photography, for that you'd want something more like 18-70mm or the rather expensive nikon 18-200 (or a non nikon in similar range).

There's loads of options tho, I only have 3 nikon lenses, a 70-200, 10.5 fisheye and a 18-70 lens that came with my D70. I don't often use the 18-70 but when I do I usually get some very nice shots - so you don't need anything special to get special shots..

jimmy
26-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Not used those or indeed any sigma lens Tel. I did try a wide angle in jessops a while back, it felt cheap and the zoom action was really stiff.. but that could equally describe most Canon stuff also and doesn't really mean it's crap. Check out fredmiranda and see what other people say about those lenses..

You can pay loads for proper canon lenses but it doesn't mean you'll get better results at all. There are of course lenses to avoid but I think you'd spot one of those with a quick read on something like the miranda website. I think theres a canon-only site with lenses reviewed but I dont have the url to hand.

ashleyb4
26-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for that jimmy you have given me a good idea.

I was looking on ebay and found a few

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-18-70-mm-F3-5-5-6-DT-lens-for-Sony-Alpha-A100_W0QQitemZ320129922841QQihZ011QQcategoryZ30070 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-18-70mm-18-70-F-3-5-4-5G-DX-6Gifts-In-Stock_W0QQitemZ120135646977QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3007 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The 70-200 is well out of my price range. But the 18-70 looks ideal.

thanks jimmy Ive joined a few photgraphy forums to find out more i hope you didnt mind i couldnt exsplain what i wanted to do with the camera so i used 2 of your pics to demonstrate the sort of thing i wanted to do. I did say i got the from oople.

A

jimmy
26-06-2007, 10:35 PM
well the first one is for a sony alpha camera so ignorethat... the second one is the one I have, and it came with my D70. looks a good price at 150 shipped, it was around 350 2/3 years ago.

you'll find 18 a nice wide angle and 70mm a bit short for R/C stuff, which means you'll have to get close to the cars to get them large on your images. but hey.

craigosh
26-06-2007, 10:46 PM
photozone.de for comparisons on a lot of lenses for each major camera system, new and old.

I'd avoid any cheap sigma lens Tel, only go for the EX range. The build on a few of them is a bit plasticy, but the sharpness is usually as good as if not better than the big name lenses at most of the zoom settings.

Tokinas atx pro range is a good choice as well. Good prices, great build (but heavy), great results. Only issue i have is the MF/AF function, bit poo to switch between them. I have the 20-35 2.8 which i use a lot and its a crackin lens.

jimmy
27-06-2007, 12:22 AM
nice to meet you btw craig - were you taking photos at the weekend? I have some but not been arsed to look at them properly yet, a couple of good ones I think.

mole2k
27-06-2007, 12:52 AM
The sigma EX series of lenses tend to be very good, sharpness wise they usually are on par or near on par with the canon L spec lenses. Build quality can sometimes feel a little cheap but aside from that you can get some fantastic results with them.

Ash, talk photography (www.talkphotography.co.uk) is the best uk photography forum that i've found.

craigosh
27-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Nah Jim, couldnt be arsed.. Not got a long lense yet anyway so it a tad difficult. Good to speak to ya.

ashleyb4
27-06-2007, 07:55 AM
well the first one is for a sony alpha camera so ignorethat... the second one is the one I have, and it came with my D70. looks a good price at 150 shipped, it was around 350 2/3 years ago.

you'll find 18 a nice wide angle and 70mm a bit short for R/C stuff, which means you'll have to get close to the cars to get them large on your images. but hey.

Oh the sonyone confused me as i set the setting on ebay so it would only show ones that fitted nikon but yes i did warn you photgrapy newbie.!!!!

Anyways the 18 - 70 did sound ideal but if that means i have to get quiet close to the cars it might not be that good fr general stuff so i was thinking of this???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Nikkor-28-100-lens-for-D50-D70-D80-F55-F75-MINT_W0QQitemZ130124077867QQihZ003QQcategoryZ30070 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any good ????????????

Am i correct in thinking the first number is the width of the shot and the second number the length of the shot it can take???????

A

craigosh
27-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Ash, the numbers are the focal length which is what effects the magnification of the lens. A lower number has less magnification, meaning you'll get 'more' in the picture and objects will look further away. The higher the number the 'less' you'll have in the frame and objects will look closer to you...

To put it another way - stand a man in front of a house, you stand a fixed distance away (say 5ft) from the man to take the picture. Set the lense to 28mm and the man and the whole house will be in the shot, with the man appearing smaller in the picture. Set the lense to 100mm and you'll have the mans head and shoulders filling most of the frame, and only a portion of the house showing in the background.

There are other effects but you can read about those on forums..

JCJC
27-06-2007, 08:46 AM
You can think of it as an angle of view, the human eye is about the same as a 50mm lens on a standard (not digital) camera, any think less than 50mm is wider angle - more in shot, longer than 50mm narrow angle, more telescopie........ if you can find a low F number, this is a measurement of the amount of light passing through the lens, better lens have low numbers, F2.8 etc is better (and more expensve) than F5:)

Little bits of info - soon be up to speed, we find just chuck in a big card, 2gig give us 400+ shots at 10megpixel, chuck out 399 ! and wonder why your car is not fully prepared.:)

Punisher
01-07-2007, 05:56 AM
I have (had) a Tamron 70-300mm f4 lens and works great for R/C photos or action shots for the money. I paid $200 for it new and it gives you the reach you need for track side shooting. The great all around lens you'll ever need would be the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens but it's a bit pricey.....like all other Nikkor lens. I mainly shot Sigma EX lens now and like them alot......great value and quality.:cool: