PDA

View Full Version : Where do you spray?

JezT
26-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this; My son and I have a couple of Mad Rats built from kit; These were pre-painted out of the box - so to identify them when we are razzing around the field I have painted one on the outside.... I know the first time I roll it it is going to scratch the paint off expossing the original colours but oh-well!

I'm just about to pick up a couple of clear shells and have access to an airbrush.... So will do it on the inside properly.

My questions: How much overspray is there when using an airbrush? I painted the shell in my spare room, using spray cans of Plasti-kote Fast Dry Enamel from Wilkinsons and there was a hell of alot of "paint mist" floating around in the room.... oops!... good job I live on my own! With an airbrush and proper paints will this problem be eliminated or at least decreased? Where do you paint?

DCM
26-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I have a small workroom with some fans rigged up to suck the paint mist away. With the airbrush, you should get less overspray though, as it is far more accurate than spray cans. Also, if you use a water based paint (createx or faskolor, same stuff) there isn't the smell either.

bigred5765
26-03-2010, 12:24 PM
quick Joby spray booth is all u need for the odd job
strong cardboard box 2 large fans from a old PC case glue to back of box so they suck out air from the box (glue using hot melt glue), put some thin loft insulation in front job done

JezT
26-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanx guys,

I've already got a huge box (a toilet suite from Wickes came in it) with the top cut out (to let light in) and side cut out - I'll put a clear plastic sheet across the top (to still allow light in) and a couple of fans at the back. BigRed: what's the loft insulation for?.... I hate that stuff!

DCM
26-03-2010, 05:34 PM
it catches the overspray paint, rather than letting it blow into your air

JezT
27-03-2010, 02:48 AM
Insulation in front of the fans.... so the fans pull the air n paint mist thru the insulation. Replace the insulation when saturated. Is that right?

bigred5765
27-03-2010, 09:11 AM
yip bob on ;)
thats not were i spray, i have a nice big garage to work in but in the early days it worked a treat,