PDA

View Full Version : Body shell ideas

OldTimer
13-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Ok, i have got somebody (thanks chris ;) ) who will make a mould so i can make some shells for the Slim4, so the floor is open what shells do you really like (if poss post a picture) and what features you like.

One thing there will be is a scoop / intake where the motor is also a outlet scoop just after it, so air can go in over the motor and straight out again.

Remember the chassis is 95mm wide, a lot less than most cars so some things may look out odd.

Attached a shot of the durango, i like this a lot to be honest.

G30RGE
13-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Durango shell looks pretty cool, but I seem to remember Jimmy posting some pics (maybe from the Euros??) of a 'home made' shell based around half a lemonade bottle or something which looked pretty good.
I am sure Jimmy will put me right tho :)

Can you make one to fit the BJ as well :)

jimmy
13-03-2006, 09:36 PM
the home made shell was for the durango 2wd (b4) made from a coke bottle yes.
I think the latest durango shell doesnt look too shabby at all, its got a nice paint job so you have to wonder how much that "makes it"..

I like the kyosho shell a lot, obviously it wouldnt translate directly to a narrow slim4 shell tho.. im not much of a fan of the bjworlds shell, i think its a bit over done.

DCM
13-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Jon, nice crisp lines imy my fave, no tight angles like the rear of ALL JConcepts shells. The cockpit and body has got to be in propotion to the rest of it.

If you are going to put air scoops in, then I reckon if you can make the front of the shell symmetrical, by having a lower section in front, and raise the whole bodywork on both sides, then just have a recessed part like on the Losi shells behind would look cool. Not a great fan of lumps and bumps on one side and not the other.

BK2 roofline is the business.

Chris Doughty
14-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I like the form follows function idea to a certain extent.

the BK2 roofline/cockpit is the best around imo.

the whole form follows function idea works really well when you have a good looking equipment placement that you have, some shark fins around the motor area would look ace.

a bad example of the form follows function idea is the X-5, but that car is ugly even without a body on it, it has some strange motor placement which makes it hard to make a body that looks remotely nice

PaulRotheram
14-03-2006, 12:47 PM
but it does do a better job of keeping it all cool chris, it may be ugly but it does a very, very good job of keeping the motor cool.

when its on the track you hardly notice it anyway, the main thing that im worried about is if the motor is cool enough for me to work on after the run, and thats exactly what the x-5 shell provides.

i do like the look of the new yoke shell, it provides an air dam for the motor which is more sleek looking than the x-5, obviously. and a nice overall look

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/MR4BCX/thumb_01.gif

id rarther my 4wd keep cool, then look cool and overheat any day.

DCM
14-03-2006, 01:22 PM
the X-5 could of done the same job, just prettier I think, what makes it worse is that it isn't symmetircal and VERY different from side to side.

DCM
14-03-2006, 01:34 PM
DOH, double post

tyreman
14-03-2006, 06:07 PM
A bad example of the form follows function idea is the X-5, but that car is ugly even without a body on it, it has some strange motor placement which makes it hard to make a body that looks remotely nice

Chris you are opening up a whole new can of worms with that quote if Dan Greenwood see's it :-)

DCM
14-03-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't think he was refering to the rear of the shell with the upswoop, even if it does look, erm.... but more the front end and cockpit tend to make it look ungainly, or as your teacher would put 'Could do better'

OldTimer
14-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Ok so far we are looking at something with a cockpit and roof line of the BK2, with air intakes on both sides of the shell a little like the yoko but with a more sculpted exit.

Attached are a few photos which may help.

PaulRotheram
14-03-2006, 08:18 PM
call me crazy but i actually liked that durango shell.. just cause it was different and alien like. pretty freekin cool!

Northy
14-03-2006, 10:42 PM
I think its already been said, but shark fin air exits would look cool, like the ones used in F1 these days! :)

G

Northy
14-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Like this:

OldTimer
14-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I was thinking the same Northy, but not sure how easy it would be to mould and how well it would come out, but yes if it can be done i would go for it :)

DCM
14-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Shouldn't be to hard to include in the design, but you get the overall shape first then remove the GILLS (not fins, lol, I wondered what the heck you lot were on about). They would look ace, just don't ask me to cut them out, lol.

OldTimer
14-03-2006, 11:14 PM
As long as they actual work then i think they should be included, but maybe a little bigger, say maybe two or three bars going across the hole, or like Steve says its going to be a bugger to cutout.

Northy
15-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Oooppps, yeah gills not fins!

Apparently they tend to "pull" the air of of a F1 car. They must be good (efficient) or mother nature and F1 teams wouldn't use them!

G

DCM
15-03-2006, 01:26 PM
they work in a similar way to a NACA duct, where it allows airflow out without realy disturbing the laminar flwo to much, ideal for an F1 car.

zaquiz
27-09-2006, 03:44 PM
How is it goin? Any news about the shell? I think the durango shells at the euros were really cool!

By the way. Love the S4! Will run it as soon as u get it out!