PDA

View Full Version : Reversed rotation vs. reversed gearbox?

Razer
05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
I just got a used CR2, with a reversed gearbox. I have to rebuild it now though, and a few of the threads in the gearbox housing has gone, so since I run Xcelorin I'm thinking about just putting in a regular box and reverse the motor.

I assume that would make the car more responsive over jumps, but how would it affect handling on track on and off power? I'm only going to run this car on astro and carpet, my regular CR will do for the potatofields we call dirt tracks here in Norway;)

rcjunky
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
it should be the same handling characteristics, when driving forward, the motor physically spins toward the back in either configuration.

Razer
05-04-2010, 04:43 PM
it should be the same handling characteristics, when driving forward, the motor physically spins toward the back in either configuration.

Aha:) Thought that was the problem when making a midmotor car, but come to think of it, that's only a problem with a normal rotation and the extra idler?

Well, then I guess I want feel a thing then:P *Off to put in a normal gearbox*

rcjunky
05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
with the extra idler gear, the motor spins forward giving better forward grip instead of the motor spinning backwards.

Razer
05-04-2010, 11:40 PM
with the extra idler gear, the motor spins forward giving better forward grip instead of the motor spinning backwards.

What are the downsides to that?

rcjunky
06-04-2010, 01:11 AM
the extra idler is better, the reversed motor has less front grip

MatJohnson
06-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I've used the LHD kit and just moved to the extra idler recently. There is a big difference in the car and how it drives. I've noticed its a lot more stable on power and over jumps there appears to be more control. Using the idler mod is the way to go.

KBRacing
06-04-2010, 09:34 AM
where to buy the idler mod......?????

MatJohnson
06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Direct from AC. The motor plate and idler kit Either Jonathan will appear on here in a bit or email him from the site (http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/).

Legacy555
06-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Read up on why noone puts a rotary engine in a plane and you'll get a better feel for why the idler mod is better than the reversed motor option.

OldTimer
06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
where to buy the idler mod......?????

Email sent :D

MatJohnson
07-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Speak of him and he shall appear :)