PDA

View Full Version : SC10 weight added?

Beanie
07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi Guys,

As the rear end is a little lively on the SC10, have you guys added any/much weight to tame it a little, and if so, how much and where.

Was thinking of putting about 60g at the rear to get more traction and perhaps a little up front too...

rocketrob
07-04-2010, 01:55 PM
For starters....Since your truck was not designed around the parameters of running a lightweight LiPO battery pack, and according to the info in your sig that's what you're running, it would be my advice to start there and add weight to the battery area representative of what a 6-cell NiMH pack would weigh. ;)

Fine tune to your taste from there

mrspeedy
07-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Depends where your racing really, indoors on carpet/lino they seem to work well running as light as possible, not always the case but mostly.

If you want more traction at the expense of a little steering try cutting the foam block and moving the battery rearwards by 10/15mm, its surprising what difference that can make :thumbsup:

Beanie
07-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Apologies if I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but people talk of adding weight to the 1/10 cars to make up for the drop in weight when using lipo's, so I thought I'd weigh a 6 cell nimh 4300mah pack and a hard case 4700mah 2S lipo to see just how much difference there is.

Quite surprising really, the Lipo is 165g lighter than the nimh pack....

Almost 6 ounces difference for the imperials out there!

Might not sound like a lot but in a 1/10 buggy then it explains how they can become a bit skittish and loose if you don't add some weight to compensate.

Don't feel quite so hamfisted now adding a 2 ounce carp lead to the back of the SC10!!!

PaulD
07-04-2010, 07:57 PM
If you want more traction at the expense of a little steering try cutting the foam block and moving the battery rearwards by 10/15mm, its surprising what difference that can make :thumbsup:

Moving the lipo does make a big difference, I run mine all the way back against the shock tower.

I also found that reducing the anti-swat helps on wet astro, by using the B4 block without the spacers.

Beanie
07-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Nope, strapped a 70g Korda carp lead to the rear and a 56g lead to the front!! See what that does!

plod
09-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Karl, around 6oz is what i've added to my SC10, as has been said, the car was designed to run with a heavier nimh pack.

I've got almost 2 oz on the front skid plate (mainly because the wind was getting under the front and lifting it on jumping) around 2 oz over the servo, and 2 oz in those triangular sections at back of battery next to where the foam is.

Beanie
09-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Well I'm racing it tonight with the weights fitted so it will be interesting to see how it changes the handling, added a higher % weight over the rear to get traction as it was spinning out when accelerating hard and also a loose back end when cornering....should still do that but only when traction is minimal for some outdoor dirt racing sideways style!!

Looking forward to racing these outside this summer, got at least 4 of us at our club going to race them this year at Adur!!

graveltrap
10-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Has the added weight helped any with the parachuting effect at all?

rocketrob
10-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Has the added weight helped any with the parachuting effect at all?

The "parachuting effect" comes as a result of the big body trapping air under it, like a parachute, when jumping it - and is not a traction related issue because of lack of weight.
But the "parachuting effect" can be cured, at least in part, by cutting out the windows, as well as part of the area behind the cab, so that the air doesn't get trapped as easily under the body. :)

Garry
10-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Re: the weight thing, I ran on carpet with an Orion 3800mah 30C LiPo and it was OK, but changed to a GM 5000mah 40C pack and it went a lot better, more stable (and a bit more punch too).