PDA

View Full Version : questions

The Dane
20-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi everybody.

I have been hooked up on the ZX-5 on a while now, but i denmark (where i live) are there no forums, where people are using the ZX-5. It's in the shops, but no body have it.

Back to bussiness. I got some questions about the ZX-5.

1)Where is the cheapest place in europe to buy it?
2)I have heard/read/seen that the screws are very bad. And i have heard about tonysscrew, and that he has a cheap HEX-screws set. Is there anything else on the ZX-5 that, like the srews, that should be replaced when you buy it?
3)In my local hobbyshop i can get a LRP sphere speed controller and a LRP vector brushless motor for about 150 £. Are the gearings in the ZX-5 good, the motor wouldn't destroy very quickly?
4)can i use a servo with plasticgear (a KO FET servo) without damaging it?

As the smart ones have noticed, probably in my name, am I from denmark, so my english aer probably not the best :D

/Bjarne

jimmy
20-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi mate!
welcome!

I have seen the zx5 around £220 in most shops in the UK, some a bit less than that but I dont have any links off hand. Anyone ?
The screws aren't bad as such, but are just not suited to a car like this and some hex screws would be a wise investment. I've not used tonys screws myself but they should be a lot nicer to use than the kit ones especially when you are working on the car at a race - the kit screws will strip out quickly with repeated use.

There are a few with brushless now in the zx5, andyG on here just got the LRP and fastest reedy motor in his zx5. I have heard of a couple of gear problems but I dont know its a major problem, maybe get a couple of spare pinions (gearbox ones i mean) just incase. I would think that its mostly caused by the slipper being too tight and landing from jumps on-power especially with the front one-way diff installed.

The servo should be ok, you can get spare KO gears fairly easily, it would probably be better in a 2wd though as 4wd tends to have more stress on the steering.

stefke
20-03-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm building my new ZX-5 right now and hope it will be ready for the first national race this sunday, so I can't really comment on the ZX-5 itself. I bought it from Lesro models in the UK. I also ordered some hop-ups from DCRacing (also in the UK). The prices in both shops seem OK. Another good option (if you look at the prices) would be HK Modellbau in Germany, but since I can't understand more then 3 words of German, I preferred the british shops

What I can do is comment on the LRP Sphere + Vector BL setup. I tried it this sunday for the first time in my B4 and I think it is brilliant. Nice smooth and linear power delivery and LOTS of power available. It was on the astro turf track in Kampenhout (a lot of british racers know the track very well and love it) so there was enough traction to use the power available. I have the 3-star motor and I guess it's a bit too much for a 2wd, but will be brilliant in a 4wd car. So I'm going to install it in the Lazer.

The Dane
20-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the coments.:)

The reason why i'm looking at new screws is acctually because, that all my Hudy hex screwdriver would be worthless.. :D I have doing touring car racing before looking at this car. So i do have ekstra pinions.

So now i Just have to get the money.... :smile:

AndyG
20-03-2006, 05:02 PM
DC Racing (www.dcracing.co.uk) do a hex screw kit for the Lazer for a very reasonable £10. Think I'm going to get one as a back up set to my Ti screws.

As mentioned above, £220 seems to be the going rate for a ZX5 in the UK. Go to www.brca.org and click on the shops link. Shops I've used in my time for off road orders online are DMS, Apex, DC Racing. Locally I use Elite Models and Morley Models.

As for the brushless, well I haven't run it yet due to various other commitments, but I'll post back when I have. I'll try and upload some pics too of my brushless gear in my ZX5.

Cheers

AndyG

wouter.z
21-03-2006, 10:01 AM
well i know that www.hk-modellbau.com has the Zx5 for 289 euro. And they speak english so thats not a problem.