PDA

View Full Version : S10 Blast steering turnbuckle design flaw

kaylon
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Alrighty...So today was the first drive in anger after sorting out the servo horn issue but now I've found a real big prob.

The factory fitted turnbuckle on the servo/servo saver rig actually Cuts threw the drive shaft...I mean it's actually cutting like it's a bit on a lathe.

When you steer hard left lock the chunky bit of the turnbuckle crosses the drive shaft and acts like a blade and cuts it.

Also in the same location the left tab on the servo actually touches the drive shaft slightly to.

I can only assume this is happening to others. I suggest everyone check you're drive shafts :)

J

bondy
11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
pics please

kaylon
11-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Here you are Mr Bondy :)

My camera aint the best for close up's but they clearly show the shiny cut of exposed aluminium. This lathe action happens when you turn full lock left and the knuckle on the rod crosses over the shaft.

There is a spot on the shaft that is almost cut clean through.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6803/sdc10405g.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/681/sdc10408i.jpg

You can also see where the servo is starting to wear at the shaft also. Granted I can fix both of these with some DIY engineering but the servo rod I think needs to be investigated by LRP.

Thanks

J

richardj
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Not come across an issue, what servo and horn are you running ? Ran all day at Mid East RD1 today and not a mark (apart from the paint on the chassis, bit to tight to an apex).

kaylon
11-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm using an Ansmann Servo...Not a bad servo with a standard 'F' Horn. The horn is physically the same size as the original LRP one but is a better fit. The original LRP horn even with the 'F' insert had steering lock issues, which in hindsight were probably caused by the turnbuckle getting stuck on the drive shaft.

P_B
12-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Not an issue on mine, though I ditched the two-piece LRP servo horn as it seemed a bit faffy. The servo mount block however has given the centre shaft a good scuffing, will have to clearance it with the dremel next time it's in bits.

olimr2nv
12-04-2010, 06:57 AM
No issue with mine either! Using standard servo too.

Oli

bondy
12-04-2010, 09:16 AM
A HA !!!

Yes

I did notice this . when i was running the standard servo horn. I supose it would show itself if the servos we use instead of the kit ones are slightly lower in profile than the kit ones and the servo output was a little lower ! :confused:

I have re shimmed the steering columns as there is a lot of float in them. The alloy servo arm i used is quite tall so theis has not been an issue. Might I suggest shimming up the ball end where it is attatched top the car a little to get some clearance if you have not already done so ? :thumbsup:

kaylon
12-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Once my new drive shaft arrives I'll put some additional spaceing on the servo saver side... May I ask Bondy what alloy servo horn have you fitted?, I'm interested in all hop-ups available and this one as you can guess is one I think I need :)

Next time you chat to any LRP boys could you point out this issue to them though so the car can develop and this issue solved for future runs :)

Thanks

J

bondy
12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Not sure I think it was an ansman one !! I just ripped it out the packet and stuck it in !!!

I saw the LRP boys at the Neo and showed them a few things. We shall have to wait and see if any notice is taken. :(