PDA

View Full Version : Stu Wood signs for AR.

woOdy
06-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Just to let you all know I am now racing for AR. Please by all means PM me for anything regards any of the AR products as I am running all 1/10th products. Speedo's, motor's, cells,servo's etc.

I ran the Xpro for the first time at weekend at the North West Regional straight out of the box with 30' caster on the front, alloy rear hubs and graphite T peice.

Found the car very understeery at first but that got better.

Finished 6th behind some National A finalist's which I thought it was cool for out of the box.

kedal
06-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Congrats woody :)

phil c
06-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Congrats stu , I new you could not give up racing

shanks
06-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Just to let you all know I am now racing for AR. Please by all means PM me for anything regards any of the AR products as I am running all 1/10th products. Speedo's, motor's, cells,servo's etc.

I ran the Xpro for the first time at weekend at the North West Regional straight out of the box with 30' caster on the front, alloy rear hubs and graphite T peice.

Found the car very understeery at first but that got better.

Finished 6th behind some National A finalist's which I thought it was cool for out of the box.

Very good? your having a laugh Stu !!

That was superb! I bet AR are well happy with that result first time out n all

Nice one :thumbsup:

jameswilkinson7
06-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Great stuff Woody, The car looked great going round. I hope you do well with Ar and help develop their cars.:thumbsup:

johnnygibbon
06-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Just to let you all know I am now racing for AR.

and its not even 4wd.....................suppose you gotta break em in gently though.:thumbsup:

then really upset em with the x4 pro:woot:

P_B
06-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Is it April 1st again?

Just kidding mate, car looked half decent on Sunday and I'm sure it'll only get better with track time. Interesting move, hope it all works out for you and AR.

Battle_axe
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
welcome to the sponsored club mate :) also people you can pm me :) with any questions good to see another driver on board bring on the 4wd is all i say :)

T4miy4 Guy
06-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Good luck mate, good result ! :thumbsup:

Andy

tcmodels
07-05-2010, 07:13 AM
cool :thumbsup::thumbsup::):)

woOdy
07-05-2010, 08:18 AM
See how it goes with the BIG boys this weekend?:o

zagonielod
07-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Hy woody!
You said we can put questions on so here is my first one:
What is the main difference because between an EZRUN 8.5T motor and one like this ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=6672 ) because of I should buy the more expensive EZRUN?
This would be one more option http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=10438
I am asking because I am new to these, so please handle with patience :)
Cheers!

kedal
07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
The question you have to ask yourself is how many money can I spend for the esc and motor ?
Then, you/we can give you an answer :)

zagonielod
07-05-2010, 12:31 PM
The question you have to ask yourself is how many money can I spend for the esc and motor ?
Then, you/we can give you an answer :)

:lol: Sweet answer kedal :lol: You really made me laugh :thumbsup:
Only that I still don't understand how the numbers affect the actual performance and where is the good balance.
Of course there is a price/quality factor. only that, I'm still finding myself in the situation where you are looking for the "cheap and good" solution :)
Keeping in mind that EZRUN combo thou :)

kitesurfer73
07-05-2010, 01:00 PM
good to see you out there...with a not run of the mill car:thumbsup::thumbsup:

looked vvvvvv quick and smooth good look this w/end with the big boyzzz...

kedal
07-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm glad you like my answer ;)

Well, a good balance about performance for a 2wd is a 8.5T motor. Not too big, not too slow. You can start with that.

About the ESC, start with at less 60A, you can use a bigger motor if you want, the esc will warm less and the power will be enough. You can buy a 120A as well, but it's more expensive.

The cheapest esc are sensorless, it's enough to begin, but if you want to change the motor, maybe you couldnt find any good sensorless motor, and if you take another motor witch is sensored, you'll not sure it works correctly.

The best choice could be the ezrun combo, cheap, good performance, sensorless or, the xerun combo, a little more expensive, but sensored and good performance.

woOdy
11-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm glad you like my answer ;)

Well, a good balance about performance for a 2wd is a 8.5T motor. Not too big, not too slow. You can start with that.

About the ESC, start with at less 60A, you can use a bigger motor if you want, the esc will warm less and the power will be enough. You can buy a 120A as well, but it's more expensive.

The cheapest esc are sensorless, it's enough to begin, but if you want to change the motor, maybe you couldnt find any good sensorless motor, and if you take another motor witch is sensored, you'll not sure it works correctly.

The best choice could be the ezrun combo, cheap, good performance, sensorless or, the xerun combo, a little more expensive, but sensored and good performance.

Totally agree. Stay away from Sensorless. Ezrun is a good value for money. AR also do a good speedo/motor range which I am running/testing at the moment so look at these too- http://www.ansmann.de/cms/racingroot/controller/brushless-controller.html

woOdy
11-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Just to let you all know, I finished 36th out of 120. Out of the box the car was very safe and a little understeery for me( I like lots of steering). I had a big problem with the front end fitting in the BRCA box so I had to put the plastic front wheel hex's on but made them thinner with a dremel. I am also playing with some made up piston sizes which make the back end a lot better over the bumps. A lot of people was watching anyway so hopefully this is the start of bigger things.
Got soome more idea's for it so please keep an eye on here and I will let you all know.

To top it off though, very good out of the box,did'nt break anything, nothing fell off, very good over bumps and jumps and room for improvements.:thumbsup:

shanks
11-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Just to let you all know, I finished 36th out of 120. Out of the box the car was very safe and a little understeery for me( I like lots of steering). I had a big problem with the front end fitting in the BRCA box so I had to put the plastic front wheel hex's on but made them thinner with a dremel. I am also playing with some made up piston sizes which make the back end a lot better over the bumps. A lot of people was watching anyway so hopefully this is the start of bigger things.
Got soome more idea's for it so please keep an eye on here and I will let you all know.

To top it off though, very good out of the box,did'nt break anything, nothing fell off, very good over bumps and jumps and room for improvements.:thumbsup:

Nice one Stu - well done - quite a good placement considering its a new car etc :thumbsup: be interesting to see how you move up when you get the car suited to you :thumbsup:

Jaune
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Stu, I'll be trying the losi jrxs piston this week. They need to be drilled in the center but the hole is the same as the offroad one.

Good luck with AR :)

Jaune
11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
I had a big problem with the front end fitting in the BRCA box so I had to put the plastic front wheel hex's on but made them thinner with a dremel.

Interesting, I moded some AE knucles to fit my car and I had to extend them about 2.5 mm to get the same width as stock. Maybe I should aim for a little narrower than?

Battle_axe
11-05-2010, 05:14 PM

stu i have the rear pistons drilled out at 1.4mm and the fronts at 1.2mm running on the dirt at the PDA with 25 in the rear and 40 in the front at stotfold i will run the smae pistons with 30 in the rear and 40 in the front i think my next upgrade will be the Bfast diff kit as i cant get the kit one to stay smooth :confused:

zagonielod
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Totally agree. Stay away from Sensorless. Ezrun is a good value for money. AR also do a good speedo/motor range which I am running/testing at the moment so look at these too- http://www.ansmann.de/cms/racingroot/controller/brushless-controller.html

Hi woody!
Would like to ask, why are you saying to stay away from sensorless? Or its me? I didn't understand it right?
Could you please explain it for me a bit? I don't know these yet.

woOdy
18-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi woody!
Would like to ask, why are you saying to stay away from sensorless? Or its me? I didn't understand it right?
Could you please explain it for me a bit? I don't know these yet.

The sensorless stuff I have used have never been smooth when the wheels are stopped dead ie starting or braking. The sensored stuff is much better for this reason for off road.

bretts
18-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi Woody all sounds good, can we have some nice big pictures of your car(s) please?

woOdy
19-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Woody all sounds good, can we have some nice big pictures of your car(s) please?

Ok mate, will sort some out ASAP.

zagonielod
19-05-2010, 11:36 AM
And please, also videos. :)

shanks
19-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Videos may be a little tricker - though if i have my Flip for this sunday ill video Stu's car an post it up on you tube

zagonielod
19-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Sorry for being off topic but, do you guys know a good freeware (or not ;) ) for converting dvd in file format for youtube? I have a Sony handycam which records on mini DVDs.

shanks
19-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Personally no - though google it something will come up:thumbsup:

kaylon
19-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Sorry for being off topic but, do you guys know a good freeware (or not ;) ) for converting dvd in file format for youtube? I have a Sony handycam which records on mini DVDs.

Windows Movie maker can do that... as long as you can get the the footage onto a PC you should be able to edit it to the max of 10mins per clip and upload directly to you're YouTube account.

And now back on topic...

Looking forward to seeing a Team Drivers car :) ... Well done Stu :)

J

T4miy4 Guy
19-05-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.xilisoft.com/

I use this

Andy

SilentBob
20-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey woody. How about thoes pics of your cars? :D

/Fredrik

P_B
20-05-2010, 09:13 PM
One of the Woodrat from RHR national:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/perapi/woodyratrhr01.jpg

kaylon
20-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Ooooo...nice looking car!...what wheels and tyres are they??? ... I want some!!

J

ben44
20-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Have you the set up for astro?

Do you have video too

woOdy
21-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Ooooo...nice looking car!...what wheels and tyres are they??? ... I want some!!

J

Standard wheels with Schumacher Yellow mini spikes.

DCM
21-05-2010, 11:04 AM
how are you getting on with the Shocks and weight, Stu?

meduz
23-05-2010, 12:43 AM
HI woody,

Can you show us some pics of your xpro, body and under the body.......please......:thumbsup:

woOdy
24-05-2010, 12:58 PM
how are you getting on with the Shocks and weight, Stu?

Really well. Really easy to fill and they handle the bumps better than my old B4. Yes I have added some weight on the front end but nothing MAD.

woOdy
24-05-2010, 12:59 PM
HI woody,

Can you show us some pics of your xpro, body and under the body.......please......:thumbsup:

I will do them tonight for you.:thumbsup:

woOdy
25-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Body on and off

zagonielod
25-05-2010, 07:58 PM
More! More! Closeups! :) what electronics are you using?

woOdy
25-05-2010, 08:17 PM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy67/The-race-controller/woOdy/speedo.jpg
Took the plugs off the servo/switch wires and shrink wrapped them separately. Labelled the speedo with the colours before removing plugs.
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy67/The-race-controller/woOdy/Bodyon.jpghttp://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy67/The-race-controller/woOdy/Bodyoff.jpg

zagonielod
25-05-2010, 08:25 PM
what is that plastic on its nose?

4cells
25-05-2010, 08:50 PM
what is that plastic on its nose?

I think its a type of front wing.
And his speedo is an Ansmann Xirius Pro.

ben44
26-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Did you use the lest down the battery?

woOdy
26-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Did you use the lest down the battery?

Do you mean the lead under the battery? If so, no. Just lead on the front.

ben44
26-05-2010, 07:28 PM
What did you think about the Ansmann ESC? Do you have a program card?

So you think it's not important if I don't buy lead under the battery.

woOdy
27-05-2010, 09:23 AM
What did you think about the Ansmann ESC? Do you have a program card?

So you think it's not important if I don't buy lead under the battery.

The speedo is very good. A little big for the car but things will be different on the next models. Yes I have used the card and it is very easy. Plug and play.

Regards the lead under the battery- it depends on how you like the car to drive? I like a lot of steering so all my weight is over the front end. If you like it to be more forgiving then yes have the weight under the cells. If you like it to understeer then put it towards the rear.

meduz
27-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I will do them tonight for you.:thumbsup:

Thanks woody for the pics....

You make a very nice paint and and the car looks nice....

On the front you make a wing ?

j.m.
27-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Hy woody!
You said we can put questions on so here is my first one:
What is the main difference because between an EZRUN 8.5T motor and one like this ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=6672 ) because of I should buy the more expensive EZRUN?
This would be one more option http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=10438
I am asking because I am new to these, so please handle with patience :)
Cheers!

The red motors have a 5mm shaft and run hot-No good.

The other set is a very low Kv... :thumbdown:

Try this if you want budget:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11059&Product_Name=Brushless_Car_Power_System_5200Kv/100A

Here's a GREAT budget esc, snag it for this price while you can:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8993&Product_Name=Hobby_King__Brushless_Car_ESC_100A_w/_Reverse_%28Upgrade_version%29

Jon

zagonielod
27-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks Jon for the answer. I also had a look at that 5200kv/100A combo. I have in in my whish list ;) The 100A ESC is too big to fit in my Mad Rat. I have to find something smaller

nikos2002
28-05-2010, 02:34 AM
The Hobbywing 60a fits find under the body and I have run 7.5 to 17.5 in the car - now with the Supercharger software you can program that extra kick you need down the straightaway!!

woOdy
28-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks woody for the pics....

You make a very nice paint and and the car looks nice....

On the front you make a wing ?

Yes it is. I think the car suffers a little at the end of the main straight. I have put this on to give it a little more turn in at high speed.

zagonielod
26-06-2010, 07:07 AM
I would be really happy if I could see a video of Woody racing with the Mad Rat (or at least driving it)
Is it possible?

woOdy
28-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I would be really happy if I could see a video of Woody racing with the Mad Rat (or at least driving it)
Is it possible?

I am trying to get some done soon.

Heads up though.

MadRat in the B Main at the weekends Nat. Finished 4th. WOW.:thumbsup:

shanks
28-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Good result Stu - well done pal

kaylon
28-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Awesome Stu!

Top 10 finishes are amazing and to be 4th is excellent!!

J

woOdy
28-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Awesome Stu!

Top 10 finishes are amazing and to be 4th is excellent!!

J

Sorry dood. B Main is top 20 and I finished 4th in that, so I finished 14th out of 120 drivers.

kaylon
28-06-2010, 12:47 PM
14th out of 120 is still excellent!!

J

greg17
02-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Stu congrats for your racing results! I would like to ask you a question. I recently bought an Xpro and i am amazed by the overall quality and the performance abilities of the car. However, i have one problem regarding the front wheels. Is there anything i can do in order to have the Associated-style front wheels? In the rear i have installed the ansmann conversion package what about the front? It would be more convenient for to have all four from the same manufacturer (eg. JConcepts).

Cheers, Greg from Greece.

Jaune
03-07-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm not Stu but here what I did to use the AE wheels without affecting geometry.

I drilled the knuckle hole with a #31 drill bit.
I shaved the re-enforcement on top of the knuckle.
Made some carbon fiber brace that matches the stock lenght and screw them on the knuckle.
I also had to space the pin out 2.5 mm using a tamiya shim (drilled with a #22 bit).
If you dont space the pins, the car will be 5 mm narower than stock

The car feel the same as stock now! Again I really like the TQ front wheels but wanted to try different tires that were glued on AE Wheels.

I'm now using the SC10 knuckles as they are stronger but did it the same way.