PDA

View Full Version : Help from Jimmy

_sleigh_
18-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey Jimmy... two questions

Do you do any processing on your photos after they come off the camera?? (ie to brighten them, colour balance etc...)

While we're at the Euro's can I pick your brains on a few basics, for getting good action shots. At the moment the good ones I get are more by fluke than skill. :rolleyes:

Cheers

jimmy
18-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Sure mate we can talk about it at the Euros. Postprocessing - sure, in a way they are all post processed since I do all the resizing in photoshop and adding a watermark etc. Colours and levels sure I do sometimes but it depends on the image and if you can imagine how long I have to spend on each one it's kept to an absolute minimum if at all. I have my camera setup to get photos I can actually use from it - I've spent 17-odd years painting on computers so I don't want to do it that way if I can help it.

I have my Nikon d200 set to give the maximum saturation and outdoors always use a cloudy white balance which gives warmer colours (which I like) - and I always use a medium quality Jpeg.

mole2k
18-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Just to add another side to it, all of my shots are done raw and the preview jpegs are often washed out and very lacking in colour and contrast. While jimmy has his camera setup to output usable shots, I have mine setup to record as much data as possible so i can manipulate it later.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, my method takes extreme amounts of time as each shot has to be carefully colour and levels balanced individually so you are generally talking 5min-2hours per photo. As i shoot mostly landscapes and other types of photos where I would come back from a shoot with under 30-40 shots I can afford this luxury to give me the most data from the shots. For shooting events this system is unworkable and I usually dial my camera back more to settings which jimmy would use to output more "print ready" shots.

I've used my method for events before and had to sit for massive sessions editing 1200 images individually and have them all done for the papers deadline in a day or two.