PDA

View Full Version : Engine for ZX-5 - which one to choose

MishaYurasov
29-03-2006, 05:07 PM
First of all - I'd like to say thanks to oople.com. This is great site and the first and the only one which has reviewed Kyosho's Lazer ZX-5.

I'm going to purchase this chassis, but not sure - which motor will fit it best. I'm looking at brushless one - Novak SS5800. What do you think - does it have enough torque and power for this car?

bert digler
29-03-2006, 05:21 PM
i would recommend a orion v2 10x2 gear about 20 tooth pinion as per kit:) :)

niggs98
29-03-2006, 06:34 PM
hi bert
the kit pinion is 17 but your right it is ideal for a 10x2

jimmy
29-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Hi Misha, welcome, and thanks.

I would reccomend a V2 based motor also, I run 11x1 and 12x1 V2 motors in the car and they are good, less maintenance than anything else ive used which I like ! :)

AndyG
29-03-2006, 06:46 PM
aye, but he said he's looking at a brushless one?!?!?

Have a look at a thread I started in this forum to see how my brushless kit is crammed in.

jimmy
29-03-2006, 06:54 PM
OOPS
:p

Is the brushless you mention the original novak system ? I think the esc is bigger than the newer systems like the GTB and LRP brushless esc. It might be a bit of a squeeze but anything is possible. I just haven't seen one installed so far.

AndyG
29-03-2006, 06:56 PM
you're OK for room so long as you mount the receiver on the top deck.

I considered trying to squeeze everything in "downstairs", but a) I wanted to give my ESC some breathing space, and b) the rx weighs jack all anyway.

bert digler
29-03-2006, 07:33 PM
as you can tell i didnt read instructions it is 17 not a 20 pinion stuck in tc30 land what nightmare:(

MishaYurasov
01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Have a look at a thread I started in this forum to see how my brushless kit is crammed in.

AndyG, what type of batteries do you use? Those at photos look like Ni-MH ones. Have you tried to use Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries?

stefke
01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm using the LRP Sphere and Vector 3* BL system. As you can see in the picture it's a bit of a squeeze, but it fits. Having seen that the Novak speedo is a bit larger then the LRP/Nosram/Reedy system, I doubt if the novak system fits, especially not with the cooling fan installed. I originally wanted to install the AMB transponder at the front, but there wasn't enough room under the body.

BluesFan
02-04-2006, 12:21 PM
The Novak fits fine. The picture attached is how I set up my ZX-5 with the GTB. No room for the fan, but it doesn't matter. The system shuts down at 127°C, and I've never seen temperatures above 68°C on the heatsink... even after running for 10 minutes straight!
I'm looking forward to seeing how the LRP sphere comp. runs with the latest motors. I know everyone sez they are fast, but the Novak is fast too. I'd just like to see one in person so that I can compare it to the speed of the Novak. I do like it though how the LRP motors are the same size as the brushed motors. Novak's motors are longer and they have the sensor wire hard-wired into the motor. I believe LRP's are plugged in? Nice feature. Also, I've noticed the LRP motors have the hash marks on them for timing changes? Have any of you changed your timing yet on your LRP motors? Is it really noticable? What about temperature changes to your speedo (since the motor really doesn't heat up). Anyways, I've been running the Novak 6.5 motor in my ZX-5 as of late. It's really strong. More than enough torque, but top end lacks a little bit for my liking. I'm sure though that I've got some room to play with on my pinion since the speed control is not getting hot. My opinion (and others I race with) is the 6.5 looks like a very strong 12 turn. The 5.5 looks like a strong 10 turn. I'm assuming the 4.5 would just look like a 9 or 8. I don't know the speeds of the LRP motors or how many they have released. What are your opinions on their speeds?

http://webpages.charter.net/nhabes/nickzx51.jpg

BloodClod
02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
What kind of gearing are you guys running with your Novaks? I'm running a 6.5 and running 16/78 with pinion/spur and it felt a tad sluggish but it could've been a weak batt... didn't have much time before getting rained out. Perhaps you guys could share your setups?

AndyG
02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
AndyG, what type of batteries do you use? Those at photos look like Ni-MH ones. Have you tried to use Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries?
can't see me using lipo etc until next year at the earliest as they ain't yet race legal round our way!

stefke
02-04-2006, 06:02 PM
can't see me using lipo etc until next year at the earliest as they ain't yet race legal round our way!

I can't see me using Lipo's as long as they keep blowing up. Nor can I see me using Lipo's as long as they've had it after 20 or so cycles. IMHO Lipo's have a long way to go before they can be considered as reliable car racing batteries.

jijohans
05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Here is my GTB install, allmost ready...:)

stefke
13-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I picked up a Nosram Storm 4* at the Dortmund fair last weekend for about 40£ (it was 62 euros). Seeing how fast the ZX went with the 3* motor, I hope it won't be too fast now (never before thought I was going to say this :D )