PDA

View Full Version : X6 vs S2

MikePimlott
24-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Ive seen a few of the new S2 cars this weekend and just wondered what the new owners thoughts were compared to the B4 / X6

Chrislong
24-07-2007, 07:17 PM
If you need an unbiased opinion, then Jim Dixon is the guy to ask - he has had both unsponsorred (and sold the S2 to Ste Pierce).

Chris

Chris Doughty
24-07-2007, 07:48 PM
one persons opinion is always bias... :p

xx4-nutter
24-07-2007, 07:57 PM
i was speaking to jim dixon at york regional and he said the s2 is a quick car but the x-6 is better ....

the s2 does look rather tastey though :rolleyes:

Garry D.

OldTimer
24-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Jim's car was one of the original S2 cars i ran over the winter with the reversed B4 gearbox, so a very different car to what we are running now with our own gearbox.

Have a word with John Spencer or David Church when they get back from the euro's on how they found the S2's compared with B4 & CR they were running.

Northy
24-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I think you'll find that the S2 Jim was running was "too quick for his driving style" ;)

He likes a nice slow understeering car (not that I'm saying the X-6 is like that, that's just how he sets his car up) and felt the S2 was too 'on edge' for him like a B4 is. He would not drive a B4 again given the chance! :o :o

As always different people like different things. At one point I had the choice of all the current 2wd chassis (before the Kyosho came out). I found the Losi CR very easy to drive but I just couldn't get the lap times out of it, I found you have to drive it at 110% to get the time, which I am too old to do :D . The B4 rear end was just a little too random for me and I never had confidence in it :o . I tried an X-6 and I went well with it and thought it was an improvement on both the B4 and Losi, but I just couldn't get enough steering out of it for my liking at that time, even though the results were good, but I perhaps didn't give it enough time.

So I decided to build my own car like the original 3 gear S2 and I liked the car very much, to me it was a B4 without the slightly random rear end, just what I was looking for. Now I am running one of Jonathans 4 gear S2's and I like it also, it drives different to the 3 gear and is requiring a different set-up again, but I find it very easy and most importantly consistant to drive, I can drive it at 90% and use the inherant speed of the car to get the lap times, perfect for my aging reflexes! :D :D :D :D

Wow, that was a long post, and I hope some insight into all the different cars. The simple answer is there is not one better than the other, it depends what you like.

G

MikePimlott
24-07-2007, 09:30 PM
When the S2 is readily available will the 4 gear gearbox be as standard ?

I know the X6 ones arent available yet.

OldTimer
24-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Yes the 4 gear gearbox would come as standard ;)

Oscar
25-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I know the X6 ones arent available yet.

I spoke to Paul Sinclair about this when he was over at the recent national. He envisages the new X6 transmission being available to buy sometime in August (providing there are no issues arising during pre production testing).:)

xx4-nutter
25-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I think you'll find that the S2 Jim was running was "too quick for his driving style" ;)

G

yea thats what he said i think ! lol i knew it was somthing like that lol...

id never race a normal traditional 2wd again with the motor placed at the very rear of the car..

im looking forward to batley to push a good result, im going to try the 4-2 layout on the car which i havent tried outdoors yet.. only indoors.. hope its gonna be good :)

Garry D.

jimarea51
30-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Well well well!

News travels fast around these parts...

I have indeed parted with the S2, but not for sinister reasons, the car is a work of art and a credit to jonathan. However it was a little too close to a B4's handling for my liking... This requires 100% commitment, I much prefer a car that I feel that I can push, that's where I feel the X-6 excells... Its easy to drive at 95% and returns consistant lap times whilst remaining very stable and under control...

In all honesty I love 'em both, but the problem I have is that I always convince myself that the other car would have been quicker at the end of every meeting, therefore I parted with the S2 to make the decision easier...

Nuff said

Jimarea51

moonman
30-07-2007, 08:19 PM
At the 2007 Euros the three S2 attending looked very good on track. Many other observers said the same.
Impressive transmission, tub carbon chassis under development, I have a feeling it will be expensive but it is the only 2wd I would like to buy, I don't like the other plastic cars.

elvo
30-07-2007, 11:48 PM
tub carbon chassis under development

It took me a while to comprehend all the benefits of a carbon tub, but it really is the ultimate form of chassis design

stefke
31-07-2007, 12:47 PM
It took me a while to comprehend all the benefits of a carbon tub, but it really is the ultimate form of chassis design

Elvo, as a belgian you should know that Luc De Weerd was already making that type of chassis for the CAT2000 more then 10 years ago. ;)

elvo
31-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I know, don't worry. But that carbon tub had a belt running across it :cool:

stefke
31-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I know, don't worry. But that carbon tub had a belt running across it :cool:

You got anything against belts ? :D

Davey G
27-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I still have not seen pics of an s2. Can someone show me? Thanks in advance.

PaulRotheram
27-08-2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/spyshots/s2/

David Church
27-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I drive both the S-2 and S-4, and am very happy to do so!!! I think they are great cars!!!Still getting used to the 2wd, but having better results than traditional 2wd's!!! Anyone thinking of trying these cars, stop thinking and put your order in!!!! The waiting list only will get longer!!!
And I still want 2 new cars for next year Jonathon!!!! lol

Welshy40
30-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Blimey the car looks great, and i havent seen that mug for ages (sorry Craig hehehe).

Tom3012
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I havent driven either of the cars, but id buy the S2.. by the way, when will they be available? any idea on price? i want one!!!:D

Randy p
08-10-2007, 04:13 AM
I also would like to know when this chassis/kit/conversion may be out? I like the layout better then the X6. I live in the U.S. and my local track has a few of them running and none of them can get the rear bite that the traditional B4 or Cr can get. This looks to have a little more weight towards the rear.

ttboyy2k
08-10-2007, 05:40 PM
It would be really cool if Jimmy could do a shootout and/or review of the S2 vs. X-6 when the S-2 becomes available to the public to determine the pro's and con's and different handling characteristics of these two mid-engined 2wd buggies!

SHY
11-12-2007, 11:34 AM
@ Randy p and ttboyy2k: I agree very much with you guys!

I'm also very tempted to try a mid-motor, but I'm a bit sceptical as to the X-6, I have a feeling it will require more grip than what we have on our tracks. It's nicely priced though, so it wouldn't hurt much to try...

I'd love to see some comparisons:
-wheel base
-weight distribution

Any news on the S2? When will it be commercially available? And what will the price be?

Gayo
11-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Everything is cheap for you norwegian tax payers ! :eh?::D

SHY
11-12-2007, 02:35 PM
We found the oil! And we got tons of fish as well...

It's nice to be "the arabs of the north" :p

Gayo, we're short of some 200.000 workers in Norway! Come over here and get what you deserve! ;)

Gayo
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
No way, you are banning 4200s:D