PDA

View Full Version : alec springer can you help with my lrp shark

craig smith
23-05-2010, 12:09 AM
i recently bought alec springers lrp shark off andy but last friday the brushless speed control caught fire do you no if these can be fixed its still the same setup as alec was running 10/49 but over heated any help would be appretiated cheers craig:(

sldmodels
23-05-2010, 02:29 AM
I'd assume anything that caught fire would be dead now, what's the speedo?

Adam F
23-05-2010, 07:30 AM
I doubt it can be repaired, although your probably better emailing LRP directly to see if they can fix it!

Ross
23-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Its the Mongoose speedo ,the car runs an Ali chassis.

Picture of the speedo.

http://www.rosswhitelock-photography.co.uk/Other/Mugen-parts/-/874945265_xuDYw-M.jpg (http://www.rosswhitelock-photography.co.uk/Other/Mugen-parts/11939130_tzZiU#874945265_xuDYw-A-LB)

sldmodels
23-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Give CML a ring, they should give you the details of their repair man, although it looks fried. They may be able to do you a replacement for it.

frogger
23-05-2010, 01:03 PM
That's the common way that most Mongoose ESC's blow. It's dead and since you are not the original owner will not be covered by the 120 warranty period even if it's that new which it probably isn't. You will have to get another ESC. A lot of us now use 1/10th sensored ESC's such as LRP SPX or SXX or even Tekin RS.

Smartalec
24-05-2010, 07:15 AM
i recently bought alec springers lrp shark off andy but last friday the brushless speed control caught fire do you no if these can be fixed its still the same setup as alec was running 10/49 but over heated any help would be appretiated cheers craig:(
Hi mate, sorry I haven't replied, i've been away racing at the weekend. It looks as though it will be a new one i'm afraid but it's always worth talking to CML just in case they may do you an exchange unit.
Carl is right in saying that a lot of micro racers use "full size" 1/10th speedo's now as they are more efficient and tend to cope with the power a lot better. You can normally pick one up on here or ebay for reasonable money. The LRP or Nosram units are excellent but have a look at one of the Speed Passion LPF speedo's, they are excellent value for money and will handle the hairy mongoose motor perfectly.

craig smith
24-05-2010, 06:05 PM
so guys do you think the motor will of servived:thumbsup: thanks for all your comments cheers for the pic ross

rocketrob
24-05-2010, 06:17 PM
so guys do you think the motor will of servived:thumbsup: thanks for all your comments cheers for the pic ross

electronics do go up in smoke from time to time, and until you've slapped another ESC in there (as the basics of means of troubleshooting) you'll never know for sure one way or another.

it's not to say there was anything wrong with alec's system, but more due to the fact of buying anything (especially electronics) used - it's the risk one takes. :)

Ross
24-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Your welcome dude :thumbsup:,although my offer of £50 still stands :lol::lol:

Smartalec
25-05-2010, 05:50 AM
electronics do go up in smoke from time to time, and until you've slapped another ESC in there (as the basics of means of troubleshooting) you'll never know for sure one way or another.

it's not to say there was anything wrong with alec's system, but more due to the fact of buying anything (especially electronics) used - it's the risk one takes. :)
I sold the car/electronics as a package the evening that I completed the club series to Andy. I handed him the car straight after the final and as far as I know he has been using it ever since with no problems. The first I knew that he'd sold it to Craig was when I read this post.
As the club members will confirm, I won all rounds of qualifying and every final with this set up to gain maximum points for the series and the car never let me down. I can't possibly be to blame for any problems with the car/electronics after it's been sold for a second time.
As Rocketrob says, it's a risk buying anything second hand, it can fail at any time. Personally, i've had speedo's/motors blow first time out and also units that have gone on for a couple of years without problems.
I think this post should have been titled "Andy, can you help with my LRP Shark" as it was him that sold it to Craig :confused:

craig smith
06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Alec as this is a chat room i was looking for advice not blame dont want to go buy another system the same if there not up to the job sorry you got the arse
regards craig