PDA

View Full Version : The Responsibilities of being a Member

baD
03-06-2010, 03:21 AM
I would like to start a discussion thread here - one that will stay impersonal hopefully.

What are the responsibilities of a Club Member?

I find myself siding with DP in the matter of members helping/not helping at club events. I do not condone the tone of the posts but I support his message.

Members get a club at which to practice/race almost every week and in the near future may be able to race every day.
But what do they have to do for this? Pay a few quid here and there? Yes, pay your dues and help with all/any labours needed to ensure the club survives.

My personal view is to write this into the club membership agreement, or make it optional. i.e. a buy out clause to allow members out of the requirement to help out physically. Perhaps a 500 buy out per year?

Am I being serious, who knows, but the fact is I have over the years seen scores of parents and drivers give lip service to the idea of helping out and that's about the lot. They don't change because of the wonderful willing helpers who do the graft year in year out, and they pay the same race day and membership fees as the other lazy b*$t***s.

And I have to say this - the excuse that 'nobody ask me to help' is just total bullshit. Anyone with half a brain and can read, knows how much work is involved in Regionals and any other competition.

So - would anyone like to contribute suggestions to amendments of the constitution of JORCR?:confused:

David Church
03-06-2010, 04:38 AM
You are right!!! Countless hours go into preparing a track and the running of the meetings.
It's the EPR National this weekend and I would guesstimate that some 2000 man hours have gone into preparing the track, it may not look like that much time was spent, but believe it has!!!
I myself am taking another day off work, self employed so I won't get paid, to go to the track and finish the painting!!!
I think a way forward may be to make it mandatory that everyone puts in time at the track doing maintainence, or I do like the idea of a buy out clause!!!
Remember without these people that freely give up their time, we would all be bashing round a carpark.

sly
03-06-2010, 06:08 AM

cmgreen
03-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I think discussing this on a internet forum is the best way of discouraging future members from joining that club involved. Maybe its somthing to discuss when the club has a AGM or a monthly meeting????????

Its a shame the comments mentioned by one particular member in a post in the NE section has brought this about. In this particular case I would of suggested having a quick 5-10 mins chat to all members before the club is ran in the up comming weeks/month to gauge how many people can help, inform people of how much work is accually needed to run the event in stead of assuming that everyone knows what time to turn up and what is needed to be done. In this particular event people where asked to turn up 2 days before the event.

Maybe better preperation is needed to get more people to help...................

What i do find shocking is wrighting this on a public forum, when this club is trying to attract more members to a potentially region beating New Venue.

SHAME!

chrispattinson
03-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Speaking personally, I try to help out when I can, but there are times when I cant. Lets look at NE regionals in Shields, I try to do as much as possible, and have done for years.

However, on the Friday prior to the event, which I usually take off work, I could not do this year, as I had a presentation to do at work.

I am grateful for those that grafted on Friday, and Im sure they understand that sometimes, its not possible for me to work on the track.

For those who dont help out, Im sure its more of a communication issue, than them not being aware what is required of them as members.

Work partys need to be communicated to, and expectations made clear. Our regional meeting was not mentioned once in a club announcement.... I have had success in previous years by drafting a newsletter prior to a regional, and handing it out at club meetings.

chrispattinson
03-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Just thinking, I didnt there was a lack of help at all over the weekend ? Am I wrong?

DCM
03-06-2010, 08:12 AM
After racing for more years than I care to remember, clubs have always had their helpers and the people who just turn up, race, go home, and no matter what you try to do to those who don't help, it won't change.

What I do believe in, those that help at the club should be rewarded in some way from the club, whether that is reduced race fee's or membership fee's.

baD
03-06-2010, 09:33 AM
DCM makes the points much more succinctly & clearly than I ever could.

Over the last 30yrs I do not think there is one 'helper' I have ever met who has not joined in with the moans about the 'non-helpers'. That's human nature. It is not a NE thing, and it's not a JORCR thing, it's a club thing. It centres on what we consider fair or unfair, what's right or wrong.

As for discussing in public, what's the probllem? Every club has this same issue (are there any in the UK with more than enough helpers?) and a club, JORCR or any other club, needs willing active members/helpers, not hanger-on's.
Why does a club fade away or cease? It is not that racers disappear, it is through lack of activity to manage, advertise & promote the club, all of which need manpower input. When there is little of that input, those that do, eventually become disheartened and join those that don't.

DCM said so rightly that the 'helpers' need a reward and I personally agree.

DCM
03-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I just think, in life, those who give voluntarily should be rewarded rather than the non-doers be punished. And in life there are always the selfless, selfish and the blind.

dpackster1980
03-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Mr Green, I did ask for your help once and the pathetic tone I got was "your the organiser you do it".

Other people were quick to criticize when things weren't going quite as they should and decided to take the p!@s instead of help.

I will be doing what's expected from now on, nothing more and nothing less.

Well

the man from delmonte
03-06-2010, 02:10 PM
When i go to race i set up my gear, sit on my arse and let all the others put the track up. And just before my final i pack most of my stuff away so i can get off to a flyer, sometimes i cant even be arsed to marshall the next final. :thumbsup:

cmgreen
03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Mr Green, I did ask for your help once and the pathetic tone I got was "your the organiser you do it".

Other people were quick to criticize when things weren't going quite as they should and decided to take the p!@s instead of help.

I will be doing what's expected from now on, nothing more and nothing less.

Well

David, i took a half day off to help out this regional, same as the following few years. If your the organiser i fully believe you take FULL responsibility for sorting out the whole event, why didnt you ask me to do anything on the day??????? i believe you shouted at people and that is why you got the responce you did. I said from the start i couldnt help out sunday afternoon as i had places to be.

You should be gratefull of what the help you did have. From now on you will have no help from me.

baD
03-06-2010, 03:46 PM
When i go to race i set up my gear, sit on my arse and let all the others put the track up. And just before my final i pack most of my stuff away so i can get off to a flyer, sometimes i cant even be arsed to marshall the next final. :thumbsup:

and I bet you also practice in the mirror that shocked, stunned and 'hurt' look in case someone has the audacity to ask you to lend a hand ! :woot:

wish I had a pound for every time I have seen that look, some are really good at it :thumbsup:

baD
03-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Can we keep it impersonal please? I don't want to be accused of stirring things up (again :lol:)
Let's have good honest input suggestions or good honest humourous sarcasm, but please, do make sure the sarcasm cannot be mistaken for a sideswipe at someone :thumbsup:

nobby
03-06-2010, 05:10 PM
i can't understand why we should reward the people that help out.
i'v been racing for a long time as most of you know, and i have done my fair share of work over the years, but i have never once asked or expected anything in return, but a club to race at.
it doesn't matter what we say or do we will always have people who just won't do anything, and believe it's there god given right to just turn up race, and go home while the rest of us are left to do the work.

the only thing i could say about these people is have some self respect, and get off your backsides, and do something, people will think more of you if you show an example.
just remember we all enjoy racing, but if we don't put the effort in to encourage new members none of us will be racing, and know body is going to come to a club were we have a handful of people who think there to good to put a bit of effort in.

as i work away from home i can't help at every meeting, but when i'm home i'll always do my best for the club.
the people that can't be bothered arn't important so let's concentrate on the club not the few that are no good to the club.

few i enjoyed that:thumbsup:

dpackster1980
03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
i can't understand why we should reward the people that help out.
i'v been racing for a long time as most of you know, and i have done my fair share of work over the years, but i have never once asked or expected anything in return, but a club to race at.
it doesn't matter what we say or do we will always have people who just won't do anything, and believe it's there god given right to just turn up race, and go home while the rest of us are left to do the work.

the only thing i could say about these people is have some self respect, and get off your backsides, and do something, people will think more of you if you show an example.
just remember we all enjoy racing, but if we don't put the effort in to encourage new members none of us will be racing, and know body is going to come to a club were we have a handful of people who think there to good to put a bit of effort in.

as i work away from home i can't help at every meeting, but when i'm home i'll always do my best for the club.
the people that can't be bothered arn't important so let's concentrate on the club not the few that are no good to the club.

few i enjoyed that:thumbsup:

Spot on, I bet you any money it'll be the same faces moving the gear to the new venue once the rates are sorted though. :thumbdown:

The sooner we are out of Seaham the better it'll be as we can all be shirkers after that. :lol:

Chequered Flag Racing
03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
The sooner we are out of Seaham the better it'll be as we can all be shirkers after that. :lol:

even with a permanent venue it'll be the same old, same old changing the track layout and tiding up the place. Been there done that with 'The Warehouse'

N7ELA
03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I would like to start a discussion thread here - one that will stay impersonal hopefully.

I find myself siding with DP in the matter of members helping/not helping at club events. I do not condone the tone of the posts but I support his message.

Members get a club at which to practice/race almost every week and in the near future may be able to race every day.
But what do they have to do for this? Pay a few quid here and there? Yes, pay your dues and help with all/any labours needed to ensure the club survives.

My personal view is to write this into the club membership agreement, or make it optional. i.e. a buy out clause to allow members out of the requirement to help out physically. Perhaps a 500 buy out per year?

Am I being serious, who knows, but the fact is I have over the years seen scores of parents and drivers give lip service to the idea of helping out and that's about the lot. They don't change because of the wonderful willing helpers who do the graft year in year out, and they pay the same race day and membership fees as the other lazy b*$t***s.

And I have to say this - the excuse that 'nobody ask me to help' is just total bullshit. Anyone with half a brain and can read, knows how much work is involved in Regionals and any other competition.

So - would anyone like to contribute suggestions to amendments of the constitution of JORCR?:confused:

I would like to take this thread right back to the first post.

The only answer is, Who knows?

Who can honestly say when they joined a club someone gave then a sheet of paper or verbally explained to them what being a club member involves?

At my place of work we have had alot of new starters recently and they all get several different levels of inductions.

They get an induction from Security, personnel, Their Senior Supervisor, Supervisor and then finally their Team Leader.

They are given a rule book outlining the companies terms and conditions.

Now I know this is extreme for a buggy club but imagine If you started a new job, did not get an induction or shown any terms and conditions, then got sacked a week later for leaving work early without packing your tools away????

You'd be straight down to a no win no fee solicitor to get your claim in.

My point again is:

How can anybody complain about club members not pulling their weight when the members have not recieved any information about whats expected of them as a member???

nobby
03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I would like to take this thread right back to the first post.

The only answer is, Who knows?

Who can honestly say when they joined a club someone gave then a sheet of paper or verbally explained to them what being a club member involves?

At my place of work we have had alot of new starters recently and they all get several different levels of inductions.

They get an induction from Security, personnel, Their Senior Supervisor, Supervisor and then finally their Team Leader.

They are given a rule book outlining the companies terms and conditions.

Now I know this is extreme for a buggy club but imagine If you started a new job, did not get an induction or shown any terms and conditions, then got sacked a week later for leaving work early without packing your tools away????

You'd be straight down to a no win no fee solicitor to get your claim in.

My point again is:

How can anybody complain about club members not pulling their weight when the members have not recieved any information about whats expected of them as a member???
sorry neil but that is a very poor excuse for not pulling your weight pal:thumbdown:

turbo_brick
03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
To take up a few points

How do people know what is expected? - They know they are not paying someone to put the track out etc for them, new members are told people are needed to put the track out and away if they don't already know (I make sure of it!) they know it's all ran entirely by unpaid volunteers, they all know if many hands make light work - I don't know of any similar organisation where people don't just ALL pull together and help....unlike in RC racing as it's not just JORCR where this happens (I help run several activity groups and everyone regardless of disability mucks in!) FFS some people who don't even race help out! I don't think we have had any new members who have not helped either before or after a club night, taking into consideration those with children. If people have a genuine reason to not help noone minds. Maybe it should be put on the signed membership forms but really, do people need to do that? Surely common sense should kick in

The Warehouse - not a hope in hell springs to mind at present for the following reasons

CASC refused (which you know)
Discretionary relief refused (today)
MOST IMPORTANT - Not enough people volunteered so far. People have been asked, have been emailed, very few offers and definately not enough to run it - unless this changes not a chance it can open
I've been trying to get the CASC decision changed and there is an alternative plan but without enough people to run it there is no point. A building doesn't become a brilliant RC racing arena unless someone opens the door and holds the racing. If someone who was willing to offer to run regular meetings did not get the email please do let me know and I will send it again. Thanks to the VERY few who did offer.

Agreed requests for help came in too late at the most recent regional, nothing much can change what has happened, people can only learn from mistakes.

Hope that clears up a few things

N7ELA
03-06-2010, 08:57 PM
sorry neil but that is a very poor excuse for not pulling your weight pal:thumbdown:

I don't really think you can comment about anyone pulling their weight mind Chris. After all you've barely raced at our club over the last 2 years to see who or what has gone on.

So on that note I think you'll find that over the last 2 years you have been classed as one of the biggest slackers at our club and I always laugh when I see sly comments like yours... :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
You are right!!! Countless hours go into preparing a track and the running of the meetings.
It's the EPR National this weekend and I would guesstimate that some 2000 man hours have gone into preparing the track, it may not look like that much time was spent, but believe it has!!!
I myself am taking another day off work, self employed so I won't get paid, to go to the track and finish the painting!!!
I think a way forward may be to make it mandatory that everyone puts in time at the track doing maintainence, or I do like the idea of a buy out clause!!!
Remember without these people that freely give up their time, we would all be bashing round a carpark.

Couldn't agree more with the above statement. We are working on our club at the moment and the hours easily disappear.

nobby
03-06-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't really think you can comment about anyone pulling their weight mind Chris. After all you've barely raced at our club over the last 2 years to see who or what has gone on.

So on that note I think you'll find that over the last 2 years you have been classed as one of the biggest slackers at our club and I always laugh when I see sly comments like yours... :thumbsup:
i find it quite tricky racing at the club when i work away sunday to thursday or monday to friday so when i'm on monday to friday i'm up at 5am monday, and if i'm working sunday to thursday.........well i'm sure you can work that one out:thumbsup:
so when i make it to the club i like to think i do my fair share.
i think the reason some people arn't to chuffed with some is people turning up racing then going home just as the track has to be put away.
the last time i raced at the club i was told we had to empty the room and move everything out to the garage outside.
that night i got home at 11:45pm even though i was up at 5am the next morning so please don't try and tell me i don't do my bit when need be.
but if anyone at the club thinks that please come and tell me face to face.
just bare in mind guys i'v helped organise club nights through to world championship meetings over the last 25 years without any complaints from people all over the world.
you all need to sit down and discuss any problems at the club.
i'll keep out of it from now on guys enjoy yourselves, and i'll see you all at the club when it's possible and work permitting if that's ok?

cmgreen
04-06-2010, 07:23 AM
The way i see it is if a member or anyone wants to help then its a great bonus to the club. The only dissapointing thing here is mainly we are talking about Jarrow club, here we are blaming people for not helping, which i find quite hard to believe, there wasnt a shortage of help from wot i know because everything got done and the event ran very well. I wasnt even asked to help, i offered on the assumption that help would be needed, as i do every year.

Now to go forward i think better communication is needed to every member, e.g. we would like 5 people to help out friday afternoon, and 5 sunday nite with 3 or 4 going back to the club to put things away.

Its just a shame we couldnt disscuss this at agm instead of putting it on here, who wants to race in the NE region any more??? No wonder the numbers are dwindling, and the region in my view has taken a big hit on this forum. Either we stop this and do it properly at the next agm or club meeting, or give up completely otherwise there aint going to be any NE regionals next year.

Regionals should be FUN not a chore!

And just to add, this was Mr Pack's First regional event as organiser, yes there were a few hiccups but is'nt there allways??? Has anyone accually said Thank you to him?? He didnt have to do it............

Well i'll start, David Pack Thank YOU !!! I apologize if i p*ss** you off.

stewcc
04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Having been involved in running many, many events at Teesside there are some things that stands out about clubs.
There will always be a core of people who will help, come what may.
There will also be a group of members who only want to turn up and race.
But in between there are a large number of people who will be delighted to help but are just waiting to be asked
Any big meeting needs a lot of preparation. It is up to the committee to decide what needs doing and then ask people to do the jobs. If they say no then move on, don't complain, they will have their own reasons.
This will encourage a good feeling throughout the club and maybe, some of those who havn't helped before will want to get involved.
See you all at Preston Park. Anyone who wants to help is welcome.:D

CHEVY
04-06-2010, 06:55 PM
been there done that stewart ie tesside /peterlee/ belmont/
gateshead /darlington/ all had prodlems which you are not going to solve thats why had it selling up :thumbdown::thumbdown:

baD
04-06-2010, 07:36 PM
But in between there are a large number of people who will be delighted to help but are just waiting to be asked
.......See you all at Preston Park. Anyone who wants to help is welcome.:D
Great advice Stew, and brilliant opportunistic advertising !:thumbsup:

I felt there was a boil on the bum of JORCR which needed lancing and I hope airing of views, although not universally popular, has gone a little way to this end. Sometimes you have to take the pain to make things better. JORCR can prosper and grow only if any discontent is dealt with and not allowed to fester. (Another reason why I asked folks to leave their personal grievences at the forum door)

And JORCR can prosper, there are enough positive people around to do so, with a little extra help here and there from the less active ones.

I admire the apology made on here - :thumbsup: - and the thank you to DP. I don't admire the "I have done more than you" bits"

So ...... we have a clear message to improve communication, improve organisation and ask clearly.
Do we go further with the 'don't punish the non-helpers, but reward the helpers'? I read the comment that getting 'helper' members as opposed to an inactive ones is a 'bonus'. Agreed, it is a bonus, but if there are so very few bonus members then the future of the club is at risk and no club means clearly no racing locally for anyone. No-one in this thread will advocate turning drivers away. Hang on, let me reconsider that! No, not even them, they wouldn't ( :woot: ) So for the usual physical graft at club nights/days and meetings, what's wrong with rewarding those that put the graft in?

N7ELA
04-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Having been involved in running many, many events at Teesside there are some things that stands out about clubs.
There will always be a core of people who will help, come what may.
There will also be a group of members who only want to turn up and race.
Any big meeting needs a lot of preparation. It is up to the committee to decide what needs doing and then ask people to do the jobs. If they say no then move on, don't complain, they will have their own reasons.
This will encourage a good feeling throughout the club and maybe, some of those who havn't helped before will want to get involved.
See you all at Preston Park. Anyone who wants to help is welcome.:D

And thats the main point I've been trying to make.

Big meetings need lots of organisation and all the jobs should be allocated pre meeting to committee and club members. Like Chris Green said any additional help is appreciated and welcomed and is a bonus.

99% of people are always willing to help if asked. Yet 99% of people don't want to ask as they don't want to step on peoples toes or offend anyone or end up being disliked for being too pushy.

The other 1% of people moan and groan and whinge on public forums because what they really want is eveyone else to tell them what a great job they've done in organising previous nationals and to tell them how smoothly things ran when they were in charge and what a great driver they are and generally make them feel good because their lives are so boring and pathetic.

:p

Shifta
04-06-2010, 09:17 PM
The way i see it is if a member or anyone wants to help then its a great bonus to the club. The only dissapointing thing here is mainly we are talking about Jarrow club, here we are blaming people for not helping, which i find quite hard to believe, there wasnt a shortage of help from wot i know because everything got done and the event ran very well. I wasnt even asked to help, i offered on the assumption that help would be needed, as i do every year.

Now to go forward i think better communication is needed to every member, e.g. we would like 5 people to help out friday afternoon, and 5 sunday nite with 3 or 4 going back to the club to put things away.

Its just a shame we couldnt disscuss this at agm instead of putting it on here, who wants to race in the NE region any more??? No wonder the numbers are dwindling, and the region in my view has taken a big hit on this forum. Either we stop this and do it properly at the next agm or club meeting, or give up completely otherwise there aint going to be any NE regionals next year.

Regionals should be FUN not a chore!

And just to add, this was Mr Pack's First regional event as organiser, yes there were a few hiccups but is'nt there allways??? Has anyone accually said Thank you to him?? He didnt have to do it............

Well i'll start, David Pack Thank YOU !!! I apologize if i p*ss** you off.

Well said Chris..

I cant see the point of finger pointing... I think most members put in the graft when they can, Everything got done and the event was good so whats the problem?
Think everyone needs to calm down a bit :D

dpackster1980
04-06-2010, 09:53 PM
We need another agm to get this sorted because quite clearly people weren't listening at the previous one.

I said I would run race control for 1 day and I did. Everyone else obviously had head up their Arse and in some cases on the meeting day expected me to run 2 days.

For the next meeting we should have a loud speaker because some people didn't get that point through their thick skulls and expected me to run both days!

Not only was I apparently expected to do it some people were trying make me feel like a c@;t for not doing it.

To be honest I did what I was meant to do and for those members that didn't help could have put themselves forward to help run race control for the other day.

It's that simple (Obviously for some it isn't).

Look at that no finger pointing this time!

dayxwalker
04-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Yep CM this is the kind of sh*t that made me sell up ! I think you guys need to have a group hug :)

pugs
04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Yep CM this is the kind of sh*t that made me sell up ! I think you guys need to have a group hug :)

I bet you would come back Tim if we all promised to give you a hug.....:woot::lol:

I'am thinking about giving DP one....how bad is that?:lol:

dpackster1980
04-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Pugs no need for a hug I'm wearing a lager jacket.

I want another AGM to get this sorted.

I want to write up a mandate to be included with all jarrow memberships and current members must sign it too.

Basically telling everyone what is expected from them as a member.

The bottom line this mess doesn't happen in future.

With Bents Park being booked next and the rubbish numbers we won't be having a regional it will still influence on the club.

I will write one up and see what everyone thinks.

I will draft one up but basically anyone that doesn't seem to be pulling their weight will change their
mind.

pugs
04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
DP I was looking forward to it:cry::woot::lol:

Dalla
04-06-2010, 10:57 PM
OK boys and girls let's have a group hug starting this sunday...

Please sign up here...

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=383550#post383550 (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=383550#post383550)

dpackster1980
04-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I want an AGM and I want a mandate so we're not going on circles.

Also if anyone feels that they have been victismised by my posts they can vote to ban me from the club.

Name the meeting date.

In the mean time club racing is nearing, I just hope the baby is worth the hassle.

I'm not joking we need this sorted we can't go on the way we are.

Unfortunately it's come to me posting what I did which makes me look like a c@!t to make us think about things.

I will forward the drafted mandate and get everyones email.

Like I said I will put myself up for vote if people want me out.

ashleyb4
04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Been there done that got the t-shirt the baseball cap, cup, socks and novelty toothbrush...........

A

DCM
04-06-2010, 11:47 PM
A few willing volunteers is better than an army of pressganaged helpers, and the sooner people realise it, the better, been through it with my own club. Now we don't have someone barking orders, stuff gets done.

Lets not forget, this is a hobby, not a business, it relies on volunteers, and it is their selfless acts that go unrewarded that is the problem, not the people buggering off early. Since I started racing in 1989, I have seen this discussion happen every year, and no matter what you do, you can't force people to help, as they just go elsewhere, you just make sure that the people who do, gets looked after.

emzy
05-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Unfortunately it's come to me posting what I did which makes me look like a c@!t to make us think about things.

Just so you know David, I don't think it made you look like a c@!t.

And no group hug guys, some of you smell funny.

N7ELA
05-06-2010, 01:09 AM
I want an AGM and I want a mandate so we're not going on circles.

Also if anyone feels that they have been victismised by my posts they can vote to ban me from the club.

Name the meeting date.

In the mean time club racing is nearing, I just hope the baby is worth the hassle.

I'm not joking we need this sorted we can't go on the way we are.

I will forward the drafted mandate and get everyones email.

Like I said I will put myself up for vote if people want me out.

David its worth the agro to get you to do some graft...

baD
05-06-2010, 01:45 AM
David its worth the agro to get you to do some graft...

now now neilie, I did ask folks not point fingers. others seem to refrain. Or was it meant to have a smilie on the end and be a fun wind up? cause it sure takes the biscuit if it wasn't !

baD
05-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Been there done that got the t-shirt the baseball cap, cup, socks and novelty toothbrush...........

A

Been where? Done what?

Shifta
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Dave I do remember at the last meeting we had when we were discussing the new venue the chair of the meeting asked you as regional organiser if there was anything you wanted to sort out for the regional and you said nowt!
I think a lot of the arrangements could have been made then instead of waiting til the last minute then expecting everyone to know what and where they were supposed to be doing stuff!
But as I said before the meeting ran well and everything got done... :thumbsup:

cmgreen
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
A few willing volunteers is better than an army of pressganaged helpers, and the sooner people realise it, the better, been through it with my own club. Now we don't have someone barking orders, stuff gets done.

Lets not forget, this is a hobby, not a business, it relies on volunteers, and it is their selfless acts that go unrewarded that is the problem, not the people buggering off early. Since I started racing in 1989, I have seen this discussion happen every year, and no matter what you do, you can't force people to help, as they just go elsewhere, you just make sure that the people who do, gets looked after.

Totally agree dcm, if something is written into a club membership saying every member HAS to do something for a event e.g. regional then am sure memberships will dwindle. I would'nt want to be a member of that club.

Even tho i have given up a half day's hol for last few years to help out at the 'jarrow' regionals its because i want to not because i have to. As soon as some one says you HAVE to do something then i wouldnt do it. Its like seeing a sign saying 'wet paint, do not touch' you know deep down you want to touch it.

There has to be another solution.........................

I think having FUN is the main key!!!

dpackster1980
06-06-2010, 01:50 PM
There has to be another solution.........................

I think having FUN is the main key!!!

The whole point is to have fun but not a the expense of other peoples enjoyment of the hobby. :thumbdown:

I don't mean sign something that makes you have to do something but put something down at the botton of each membership form like "If it is deemed that you are not being a valueable member of the club your membership renewal for the following year will be up for review."

If there is a regional next year I'll be doing it the way of the national drivers, turn up, race and then leave just to make it a "FUN" day for me and make my follow club members do more work. :thumbsup:

dpackster1980
06-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Dave I do remember at the last meeting we had when we were discussing the new venue the chair of the meeting asked you as regional organiser if there was anything you wanted to sort out for the regional and you said nowt!
I think a lot of the arrangements could have been made then instead of waiting til the last minute then expecting everyone to know what and where they were supposed to be doing stuff!
But as I said before the meeting ran well and everything got done... :thumbsup:

Jeff the simple fact is I said at the AGM/New Venue meeting I was running race control for Sunday and not Saturday as it turned out I did.

The fact is I said I was running it was 1 days as I mentioned at the meeting and 1 day only.

Not one member piped up and said I'll do the other day which shows the pathetic commitment many people have for the club!!!! :thumbdown:

Many people were taking the p&$s just expecting me to do both well that wasn't going to happen especially after the crap I got on Saturday!!!!

Like I said if there is a regional next year I'm going to put the "FUN" factor back in it for me and do nowt.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: End of Story :thumbsup::thumbsup:

turbobrick
06-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Pack a public forum is not really the best place to get your point across

We'll all sit down and talk about it at some point :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter