PDA

View Full Version : 4wd tyres

greeny
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
hi all, imreasonably knew to the off-road scene and ive only done 2 or 3 meetings... but im still not sure what tyres i should be using.

could someone give me a tyre guide... for grass with reasonably rutted corners and a reasonably bumpy overall track.

jordan

jcb
01-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Best bet is to ask someone at your local track, most club racers are really helpfull and will point you in the right direction.

Personally I would start with Schumacher Mini Spikes in the Yellow compound for the dry and the green compound for the damp / wet.

If it is really wet and muddy then you might find that Ballisitc Buggy Spikes in the green compound will work well.

You will also need some foam inserts for these I would suggest the Snee foam or Mr O Racing in the soft compound. PM me for details about the Mr O Racing foams.

Chrislong
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Keep it simple for yourself, don't over complicate your decision with lots of alternatives.

Personally
In the UK on Grass or Multisurface:
Dry = Yellow Minispikes front and rear 2wd/4wd

Wet = Green BB Minispikes rear 2wd & 4wd, & 4wd front, Green Schumacher Minispikes on 2wd front.

Usually the way to tell if dry enough for yellows, is if any concrete sections look to be drying out.

Mr O inserts are ace.

If unsure, ask someone who seems to be fast on the day - or go and have a look at his car.

Chris

greeny
01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
do i need foam inserts for all the tyres recomended above?

jordan

Southwell
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes..

ashleyb4
01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Wet = Green BB Minispikes rear 2wd & 4wd, & 4wd front, Green Schumacher Minispikes on 2wd front.

Chris
You can also run BB green 4wd front tyres on 2wd fronts as it fits in the box and front tyres are free choice so it is legal. So you can fun 4wd BB green front son the front of a 2wd butyou will need wide wheels not narrow wheels.

A

Chrislong
01-08-2007, 01:40 PM
You can also run BB green 4wd front tyres on 2wd fronts as it fits in the box and front tyres are free choice so it is legal. So you can fun 4wd BB green front son the front of a 2wd butyou will need wide wheels not narrow wheels.

A

Ive tried it, wasn't great..... Ash, what was I saying about complicating it by having too many choices? Thats a good example.

ashleyb4
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
God just saying!!!!

A

Chrislong
01-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I know, but don't call me god! LOL ;)

ashleyb4
01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I find that if you run sch green fronts with BB green rears as the sch have more side bite it tends to cause the back end to be a bit loose so to cancel it out you have to go to a harder front spring or thicer oil which complicates it even more. But i supose its all personal prefferace. I used to run sch green fronts and BB green rears but then switched the BB all round and found it giave me more all ground grip it was lacking a bit of side bite but youjust had to driving diffrently.

A

Spencer Mulcahy
01-08-2007, 03:36 PM
I know, but don't call me god! LOL ;)

You are god to us Chris.:)

ashleyb4
01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
lol :D :D

to right spencer

Of course Chris is very much right but i was just giving greeny another option.

A

JCJC
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Just stick to the yellows & greens - spikes - do not get confused with pins, yellows will wear quicker, you could get by with greens for starters, you may find other drivers cutting rows of spikes off the tires,
best advice is ask around lots when at a meeting.:)

gramey
01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
hi all, imreasonably knew to the off-road scene and ive only done 2 or 3 meetings... but im still not sure what tyres i should be using.

could someone give me a tyre guide... for grass with reasonably rutted corners and a reasonably bumpy overall track.

jordan

Jordan,

We used green mini spikes, Schumacher or Ballistic Buggy, when there was some grass on the track or it was damp. Schumacher yellow mini spikes when it was dry and started to cut up and Schumacher yellow full spikes when the track was wet.
Schumacher blue or Mr. O Foams, much cheaper than the Schumachers, in all of them.:)