PDA

View Full Version : Speed Passion LPV v2.0/Hobbywing Xerun Questions

Andysan
28-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi folks,

Am looking at getting one of the Hobbywing ESC's as directed by a mate to try and give me a bit more pace. As I understand it, this ESC (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOBBYWING-XERUN-Blue-V2-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-SL244-/270595038500?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f00b89d24) and accompanying programming module (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOBBYWING-RC-2-1-Professional-LCD-Program-Box-PC566-/270596214502?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f00ca8ee6http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOBBYWING-RC-2-1-Professional-LCD-Program-Box-PC566-/270596214502?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f00ca8ee6)are the same as the Speed Passion ESC (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEXT98802LPB-SCHUMACHER-SPEED-PASSION-LPF-V2-0-ESC-/180525288173?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2a08254aed)and its accompanying programming box.

Basically, is there any reason not to order this that anyone knows of? Only thing that concerns me is that I cant find any firmware for it on the Hobbywing site, only beta firmware via Rapidshare links on forums which is a bit off putting.

Any info or reasssurance I can get on these ESCs relating to the proudct or after-sales support would be great please. Oh, and do the wires come pre-soldered as in the pic?

Cheers!

losi madness
28-06-2010, 08:16 PM
there dam good sytem i use the 1/8 sytem and you need to put the bullets, on the esc and motor . the software is on the cd you get with them and the card reader and the black box that comes with them. all software is on the cd card reader etc . there dam good better than the new mamba monster lol

Andysan
28-06-2010, 08:20 PM
there dam good sytem i use the 1/8 sytem and you need to put the bullets, on the esc and motor . the software is on the cd you get with them and the card reader and the black box that comes with them. all software is on the cd card reader etc . there dam good better than the new mamba monster lol

Thanks Losi Madness, is this definitely the same as the SP please, and do you mean i have to solder the bullets on for the battery end or the bullets shown at the pcb end? Do I need to do any soldering at the ESC end or are the wires all attached to the ESC as shown?

Thanks!

http://www.rcecho.com/images/xerunblue60aesc01.jpg

losi madness
28-06-2010, 08:23 PM
by the look of it take a look at the 120amps one there better as well send me a link to the listing.

wire from the esc need bullets putting on them a\nd the battery connector putting on

Andysan
28-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Cheers, the listing is here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOBBYWING-XERUN-Blue-V2-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-SL244-/270595038500?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f00b89d24

And the programming box here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOBBYWING-RC-2-1-Professional-LCD-Program-Box-PC566-/270596214502?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f00ca8ee6

And the model that is supposedly the same as is here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEXT98802LPB-SCHUMACHER-SPEED-PASSION-LPF-V2-0-ESC-/180525288173?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2a08254aed

Essentially, the few things I'm just trying to confirm before I buy are:

That the ESC is the same as the Speed Passion one.
The programming box is the right one (certain it is but there arent any product numbers mentioned anywhere linking the two).
Wires are pre-soldered to the ESC.
Any info regarding support or where upgraded firmware can be found.

Only running 13.5T so dont think the 120A one is necessary, and its quite a bit more expensive too. This shouyld be a lot better than my NOSRAM Evolution 2007 for 13.5T I hope!

losi madness
28-06-2010, 08:33 PM
yes that the right 2 items you need mate . but there not the same esc lol there just rebaged and sold as ezrun they all come from the same warehouse but sold to different companies . but speed passion esc about the same spec but better more amps etc order 1 . i want a 1/8 as well . its the shipping fees etc

Andysan
28-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Okey doke, so the only real difference is the amps as they are just the same product rebadged? Sounds OK to me, cheers for your help!

losi madness
28-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I am using a 1/8 sensorless know cogging what so ever there good lol and sensorless does cogg like mad but these are dam good and know cogging what so ever that with out a sensor lead :thumbsup:

Andysan
28-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Cool stuff, and pretty racey too with the timing advance/turbo and all? Thx!

losi madness
28-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I use tekin motor that are sensored and i dont use a lead as they dont need one as there that smooth mate

Andysan
28-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Cool, Im gonna have to crack open the piggy bank I fear :p

Thx for your help!

Pops
28-06-2010, 09:58 PM
We have 5 speedpassion speedos..lpf and pro..all sensored, smooth as silk and can be fully refurbished via shuey for £40...A friend of mine has ordered a combo from hkong so i'l comment further when i see his perform next to mine on the track..imo you get what you pay for.

Andysan
28-06-2010, 10:08 PM
We have 5 speedpassion speedos..lpf and pro..all sensored, smooth as silk and can be fully refurbished via shuey for £40...A friend of mine has ordered a combo from hkong so i'l comment further when i see his perform next to mine on the track..imo you get what you pay for.

OK cheers, will look forward to hearing from you. Have ordered one too so fingers crossed.

fidspeed
02-07-2010, 10:23 PM
hi just my two pence worth

i believe speed passions are rebadged xerun esc not to be confused with ezrun which are sensorless brushless esc/motors .
my lad runs a 13.5t ezrun combo bought for £40 s/h and we are very pleased with it no cogging or running problems so far . OK its not in the league of the latest top spec gear but on slippery wooden floor it well capable of holding it own power and speed wise.

hope this helps if not ignore the above drivel :thumbsup:

dave

jordan1
03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
great speedos for the price, exactly the ame as the speed passion just rebranded. got mine last week for £70 from hong kong all cables come solderd on to esc you just have to add connectors for battery. as far as ive been told you can put the speed passion software on it
hope this helps

mdb_75
03-07-2010, 11:04 AM
imo you get what you pay for.

Your right, the thing is you get a whole lot more for your money if you get the Xerun! I have a Speedpassion LPF that cost £120 and a 120amp Xerun that cost £80. Both have the same settings, but the Xerun's got a higher amp rating, only costs 2/3rds of the price (almost half the price of the £150 near equivalent Gt2.0 Pro) and has the larger capacitor pack.

kev-ed
13-06-2011, 08:53 AM
i have a speed-passion gt2.1 and the associated SP programming cards (both the field one , and the usb one),,amd looking at a Hobbywing esc as a spare, does the SP program card(s) work with the Hobbywing esc's?

RogerM
13-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Yes they do. If it's the LED one it's plug and play, if it's the USB one then you will need to flash the firmware in the LCD programer to the HobbyWing version for it to be able to see the HobbyWing firmware site. Can always be flashed back and forth between SP and HobbyWing as I did this until I was confident the HobbyWing firmware was always the superior version (which I trully believe it is).

Cherry2blost
18-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi Guys, just to let you know our latest shipment is in. The Black 1s ESC (Which needs no booster battery etc) and our Black 120Amp V2.1 are back in everything else is due by end of next week.

Until the 21st June we are extending the Pre Order Discounting for in Stock units with free shipping, oh and don't forget the 'oople' voucher code for an ADDITIONAL Discount !!!

http://www.racersinexile.org.uk/XERUN_1S_ESC_BLACK/p446090_2127148.aspx

http://www.racersinexile.org.uk/Hobbywing_XERUN_120Amp_SD_V21_ESC_Modified_BLACK/p446090_3754996.aspx

Cheers all !!!

RogerM
20-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Glad to see you on here Stuart ... I best give you a call today.

adon30
20-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Guys, just to let you know our latest shipment is in. The Black 1s ESC (Which needs no booster battery etc) and our Black 120Amp V2.1 are back in everything else is due by end of next week.

Until the 21st June we are extending the Pre Order Discounting for in Stock units with free shipping, oh and don't forget the 'oople' voucher code for an ADDITIONAL Discount !!!

Got my 1S Saturday!! ..... Just need to wire it in.

What! extra discount?! Does that mean I could of had it cheaper? ;)

I also borrowed Rogers LED set up box and it makes things ever so simple. Not tried the LCD one so can't comment on that yet. But 1st impressions are good.

RogerM
21-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Adon, we will get it all singing sweetly for you on Sunday (if I don't see you at Coventry on Thursday night).

I really need to get my base settings posted up .... smooth as silk, but still punchier than Ali when needed ;)

MHeadling
21-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi Chaps, Just got myself a new HPI pro flux 7.5 for my Vega B4.1 and its a bit slow , just wondered what settings/software I should run as its got a old stock version loaded on it at the moment.

Andysan
21-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I've updated to the latest firmware recently (v3 stock) and cant make head nor tail of any of the settings as they are all completely different. Would be grateful if anyone can recommend a baseline for a track such as the one in the video below, and a gear ratio that would be used with it please. Cheers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsldt6XWcF0

MHeadling
22-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I have had a look on hobby wing site, cant see where do down load the latest software?? Or do I need to go on Speedpassion site??

I have been told I need v3.0 211 mod profile on my esc, link would be great!

RogerM
22-06-2011, 04:10 PM
The only reliable way I have found is to plug it all in with the USB / PC interface box, this finds the latest software that will work with your firmware. Occassionally you may have to update the firmware on the interface first but that is just as easy.

Andysan
22-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I have had a look on hobby wing site, cant see where do down load the latest software?? Or do I need to go on Speedpassion site??

I have been told I need v3.0 211 mod profile on my esc, link would be great!

Mark, you need to download the application that interfaces with the programming box:

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=446

This has built into it the firmware upgrade files for the programming box, and also the ESC itself. If you dont have a programming box you can pick one up from e to the bay. It is required in order to upgrade firmware.

RogerM
22-06-2011, 09:59 PM
PC interface box/LCD programmer is about £20 from Racers In Exile .... why risk an unknown on Ebay for a saving of only a couple of quid?

SlowOne
23-06-2011, 05:27 AM
PC interface box/LCD programmer is about £20 from Racers In Exile .... why risk an unknown on Ebay for a saving of only a couple of quid?Hobbywing have posted elsewhere that there are several people selling counterfeit HW stuff on e of the Bay, and they have given clues as to how to spot them. However, those clues are only any good once you have the product in your hand, by which time it's a bit late!

HW stuff is great value, and the genuine article is well made and reliable. Racers-in-Exile is your source of choice for peace of mind and service support IMHO. HTH :)

MHeadling
23-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks chaps for the link, I got it sorted my a fellow club member last night, V3 mod software and its all good! :thumbsup:

jkclifford
23-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I have the sp and hw Speedo, hw speedo will accept sp software ( have to flash it twice). Both being set up with hw box.

duarte7
23-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know were I can buy the 60amp version of the HW esc, in Europe?

RogerM
23-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know were I can buy the 60amp version of the HW esc, in Europe?

Racers In Exile (link in my sig)

duarte7
24-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Thank RogerM I really locking foward to get one of these Xerun/SP speedos to replace my old GM 90 V1 :thumbsup:

Skye
24-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Please dont lynch me for asking a stupid question :p ....but how much difference do all the different ESCs make?

For example, I have a Fusion Exceed Pro in my RB5 which cost about £80 and I have just bought an Orca Vritra VTC Pro Mk2 for the B44.1 which cost more than double that.

So what extra will the Orca give me for my money over the Fusion Exceed?

I went with the you get what you pay for approach with the ESC and for the 4wd wanted something high spec. But what exactly are the differences?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

RogerM
24-06-2011, 11:48 AM
The 2 important things are;

1) power rating 60A is a minimum for offroad really, even that is getting close with a 6.5, very close with a 5.5. 100A+ ESCs should be able to handle anything yo'd ever want to run.

2) Feel, some are not very smooth (I personally always used to run LRP/Nosram in brushed but I find their brushless ESCs too brutal even on the lowest settings) and others are like silk (HobbyWing running the 528MOD firmware being one such example).

After that it's just how much you HAVE to have the badge ... personally I see no reason to spend more than the £100 or so the HobbyWing 120A V2.1 / 1S ESCs cost as they do it all and do it well.

markwilliamson2001
24-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Agreed with Roger here...most of us will do much better with smoother power fed in like silk...only the best out there can handle the punch of the LRP/Nosram setups! I personally run Speed Passion gear. Yet to try the 528MOD software yet though!

Hope this helps.
Mark

simon
24-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi Isnt the latest hobbywing mod software V3.1 119?
Also is there any mod settings for running a 5T HPI flux pro motor, FDR 11.5.,its an electric RC bike!,....on a very large track....

cheers simon

Skye
24-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks Mark & Roger. Good info as always.

Have either of you had experience of Fusion and Orca ESCs? Im just wondering how they measure up to the ones you mention and whether they come under the 'silk' or 'bull in a china shop' categories? :eh?:

RogerM
24-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I am afriad not Skye, I have no reason to change so haven't really looked at anything other than the HobbyWing stuff recently.

There are a few on here with ORCA in their sigs so I am sure if you had a look you will get the answers you need.

Simon, I have not tried any of the V3 firmwares yet personally but I am informed by a source I trust that they are more aimed at the sort of power delivery that you want in TC than offroad. I aim to try them soon, have a couple of ESCs on the way so will start with V3 on those.

simon
24-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi Roger,
Thank you...i might go back to the 528mod firmware,as in motorbikes we want it to be as smooth as possible,,,,which is more like offroad delivery rather than TC?......do you have any good,settings?

simon

duarte7
24-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I i have a question, it makes sense to buy the EXTREME STOCK 60amp ESC from Hobbywing for off road racing? Or should I stick with the Xerun 60amp SD 2.1? The difference in price its small. Regards.

RogerM
25-06-2011, 10:23 AM
The only issue with the Xtreme stock for off road is that the heat sink is a little on the small side. You would probably get away with an 8.5 or 7.5 at a push but I'd not go higher than that. The firmware would need changing to a MOD profile too but no probs there.

I've not personally tried an Xtreme stock in off-road so can't be 100% sure but I have run a 60A fine with a 6.5 so I know that works.

duarte7
25-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm going to run with a Robitronic 7.5T so it should be fine. But Xerun 60 SD 2.1 vs EXTREME STOCK 60 amp whose better for offroad racing?