PDA

View Full Version : Camera and lense????? which one to get

evilbert
19-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi guys, one of my first posts but i have read a lot of the "which lenses to buy" threads which have been really helpful but i am a complete newb to 'proper photography', I have never had a DSLR before and have tried my hardest to get pics with my Fuji 4900 but to get cars that aren't blurred i have to turn the shutter speed up, which in turn gives me very dark unusable pictures.

I dont have a huge budget (around £300) but there are so many different makes and models i just dont know which body to get????

i will be working indoors in very bad light and will be taking pics of Micro cars going very very fast....

I have been told that Nikon is the way to go and have been looking at the D100, is it good enough for what i want and what sort of lense do i have to get to solve the dark image problem i was having with my old camera?

any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

josh_smaxx
19-08-2007, 08:20 PM
First off, i dont know the price if a D100 but your budget seems low for a DSLR with a good lense. I would reccommend the fuji S6500 (not slr) which i use and i find it a fantastic camera, very adjustable, no dark pictures (providing you know how to set it up properly) and fairly compact (but not a credit card camera by all means, still looks the buisness)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/josh_2k7/2007_0520Croft2005070084.jpg

Just and example.

mole2k
19-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Taking pictures indoors is a tough you, you ideally need very good noise control. Nikon cameras tend to lack behind Canon cameras in that respect.

One problem is you need a camera that has good noise control and high iso's ( = expensive) and you also would need fast lenses to get high shutter speeds to help stop blurry shots ( = expensive).

For that budget you might be able to see about picking up a 2nd hand canon 350d and a cheap telephoto, as long as the light isnt too bad you should be able to get reasonable pictures once you do a bit of photoshop work to reduce the noise.

The problem with a non-dslr in this situation is that you really need the low noise at high iso's that the larger sensors in dslr's give you.

Here is a few that I've taken indoors with a canon 20D and a 70-300 f4~f5.6, these where all manually focused as you dont have a chance with autofocus working quick enough indoors on the lower end cameras and lenses so i usually manually focus the entire time.

http://www.mole2k.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_3562_small.jpg

http://www.mole2k.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_4504_small.jpg

http://www.mole2k.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_8746_small.jpg

evilbert
19-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I appreciate that i would defiinately be looking at a second hand camera and i really do need to go with a DSLR as i have used a friends fuji s5600 with similar problems to my 4900 so i really want to spend as much as possible and get a camera that i can upgrade (lenses) when more funds come in.

I have been looking on e-bay and the Nikons go for around the £200-£250 mark for the bodies.

What is the difference between Nikon's and Canon's or are they similar cameras with different badges? and how would the 350d compare to say the D100 or even a D70?

mole2k
19-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Image quality wise generally they are about the same, the nikons tend to be nicer to use ergonomics wise but the canons generally have better noise at higher iso's. Those shots of my above where shot at iso3200.

When buying a dslr you really are buying into a system so its always best to look towards what you could upgrade to in the future. Both nikon and camera systems are very similar and you wont go far wrong with either.

Halcalanky
20-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Canon sell some very cheap lenses new (£125 for a 55-200mm zoom) - not the best optically, but passable. I prefer canon to Nikon, but if you're going to buy a second hand "kit" with a lens that came with the kit, the Nikon comes with a better starter lens. Canon's range of lenses is better and better optically (in my opinion).

Canon customer service is also very good in my experience.

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 06:52 AM
I think the choice of Canon vs. Nikon is entirely personal, I know professional press photographers that use both, and some switch from one to the other more often than I care to think about.

As for lenses, I would recommend a a long focal length 200 or 300mm. Some sort of vibration reduction might be useful to allow handheld shots at lower shutter speeds (although you will probably want faster shutter speeds to freeze the action anyway).

For this sort of money, new at least, I personally would recommend a Nikon D40. The camera was only out for about 9 months before it was replaced with the D40x and is now available at great prices. Here it is on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIKON-D40-w-18-55-mm-and-55-200-mm-lens-Brand-New-uk_W0QQitemZ290149367486QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31388QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) having sold "Buy it now" for £308 with the stock 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens.

I think this would be a great starter kit.

A couple of good places to look are:

www.kenrockwell.com (http://www.kenrockwell.com) (difficult to navigate, but some good product reviews)
www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com) (product reviews dating back to some quite old gear if you are looking at second hand).

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Should have mentioned, the 55-200 is now available with VR (vibration reduction) which is why the non-VR lens is so cheap.

Molgorain
20-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Focus more on a good a lens, then the body. Im not sure about Canon, but Nikon have been using the same type of lens-"connection", for a long time. So I can use my friends old lenses with my D70.

Like Vintage wrote, check out Ken Rockwell, he got some really good advices for a buyer. You should be able to find a cheap secondhand D70, on the market. Lot of people switched their D70 for the new D80, when it came, atleast in Sweden.

Otherwise go for the D40 kit, don´t be scared for the "only" 6 megapixel thing.
Its only a psychological(sp?) effect, Ken has a great article about this.

Got a Nikon D70 privately, and use a Canon 350D and 400D at work. Nothing wrong with the Canon, except the weight. Its too light for me, so it feels very plastic, but thats IMHO.

maverick
20-08-2007, 01:50 PM
A couple of people have hit the nail on the head, and a few other recommendations I'm a little weary of.

- AGREE: Nikon vs Canon DSLR's is a personaly thing, and as mentioned the NIkon has the usability, but the Canon does beat them on having less noise and slightly more vibrant colour. This is a FACT shown in many magazine tests.

- NIKON D40x isn't all that so don't be fooled. Basically it replaced the D50 and is Nikons lightest DSLR to date, but users complain that it lacks ergonomic feel and weight balance when using. It has some nice advantages over the D50 but has some SERIOUS CUTBACKS. I'd get a D70 or D50 anyday of the week. If you can get a D70 cheap you're quids in. THe D70 has FULL spec VERY similar to the D80 once flashed with latest firmware.

- You should NEVER be shooting at high ISO, so who cares about anything will ISO over 800. Use a decent flash. I use Metz hammerhead CL1 and CL4 etc which can be had off ebay for around £50 instead of these people paying £200 on SB this and that's, plus hammerhead gives you a wicked grip to hold the camera by during shooting sessions.

- BE CAREFULL buying a 18-55mm and a seperate 55-200mm, as it's a stupid thing to do as you'll constantly find yourself swapping them. Just buy a 18mm-200mm cheap lens like a sigma for £100. HOWEVER I don't agree with superzoom lenses as you should always try to use a fixed lens like a 50mm.

My advice overall:

1.) Either get a Canon (350 or 400) or Nikon (D70 or D50). Remember you can only use their lenses etc so if you have a mate with canon stuff that can often be nice to borow lenses. I have a D50 and D70, but the Canons picture quality is better.

2.) If you want a cheap flash, get a metz CL1 or CL4 for £35-40. NOT the CT1.

3.) If you're just starting out get something like a sigma 18mm-200mm second hand so later you can sell for what you paid for it. I f you get a NIKON, the NIKKOR lenses are wicked.

MY RECOMMENDATION: Nikon D70 with a 18-70mm NIKKOR Lens (not 18mm-55mm). It's my setup of choice, or get a Canon with similar lens.

jimmy
20-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I can't say i've studied many magazine tests nor used many canons (apart from my 1dmk2) but my personal experience is a little different. I love my Nikons because of their strong vibrant colours straight out of the camera.

The High iso thing is personal preference also - when eventually 1600 iso is as smooth and vibrant as 100iso, will you say the same thing? Indoors I will regularly shoot 1600iso as it's the only way to get the shot I want. Sure you can use flash but it's a totally different look and sadly not always possible when you have drivers or refs complaining..
Good high ISO noise performance is one of the best things about modern digital SLRs - it makes it possible to get shots that previously only super fast and expensive glass would allow.

as a disclaimer, I only photograph rc cars generally and only use a 'medium' quality jpeg - so perhaps I'm not the fussiest guy alive.:D:)

JCJC
20-08-2007, 02:43 PM
We tend to crop our snaps down lots, compare

http://picasaweb.google.com/MickJackson2007/CML2WD/photo?authkey=qnjZ9V4vP0o#5100767316024333858

and

http://picasaweb.google.com/MickJackson2007/CML2WD/photo?authkey=qnjZ9V4vP0o#5100767363268974130

ISO turned up to 800 allows 2000sec at f5.6, before crop 3888x2592 after 673x449. I know this is extrem but I would rather start with 10m pixels than crop from 6.
We use a canon 400d mostly with the "cheap" 55-200zoom.

And as you can see, we aint too fussy either......:)

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 03:00 PM
"- NIKON D40x isn't all that so don't be fooled. Basically it replaced the D50 and is Nikons lightest DSLR to date, but users complain that it lacks ergonomic feel and weight balance when using. It has some nice advantages over the D50 but has some SERIOUS CUTBACKS. I'd get a D70 or D50 anyday of the week. If you can get a D70 cheap you're quids in. THe D70 has FULL spec VERY similar to the D80 once flashed with latest firmware."

One of the things I like about the D40 is it's size and light weight.
What are the serious cutbacks missing the D50/D70 have? I can't see anything that someone buying their first digital SLR would SERIOUSLY miss.

To clarify my recommendation, it was assuming buying new. Nothing else new would come anywhere near the OP's budget.

I think Jimmy is right about the flash too, I can't see too many drivers being happy about it.

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 03:03 PM
We tend to crop our snaps down lots, before crop 3888x2592 after 673x449.

Otherwise known as digital zoom ;) and in this case more pixels you start with the better, agreed, but...

This is just fine for web and screen viewing, but would be useless for printing. I guess the OP needs to decide what the end purpose is most of the time.

jimmy
20-08-2007, 03:09 PM
The one drawback with the D40/X is the lack of lens motor - so it will only accept newer AFS lenses. You can surely get by, but it rules out a whole load of great lenses that could have been used - like the cheap 50mm F1.8 to the latest 10.8 fisheye and the fantastic value 80-200 F2.8 AFD.

If you don't want to get too into it, the D40 is fine - but the lack of lens motor limits the lens choices when you want to start upgrading your kit

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 03:21 PM
The one drawback with the D40/X is the lack of lens motor - so it will only accept newer AFS lenses. You can surely get by, but it rules out a whole load of great lenses that could have been used - like the cheap 50mm F1.8 to the latest 10.8 fisheye and the fantastic value 80-200 F2.8 AFD.

If you don't want to get too into it, the D40 is fine - but the lack of lens motor limits the lens choices when you want to start upgrading your kit

There is a good selection of AFS lenses, although not many primes. I suspect Nikon will be releasing more AFS lenses in time. More importantly, it means most second hand lenses that have attractive prices are not an option (if you want to keep AF, most are ok with manual focus).

I also think, by the time someone was that into it, it's probably time for a new body anyway.

Ken Rockwell has an interesting opinion on buying second hand bodies.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/obsolescence.htm

jimmy
20-08-2007, 03:36 PM
I used my D70 for three years and started with no intention of taking things so seriously - being able to slowly build up my kit without changing bodies was great. I still have the D70 but it's been replaced by the D200 as my main camera.

maverick
20-08-2007, 03:40 PM
D40x: Lack of lens motor, it's missing some key buttons and dials AND......."NO LCD TOPSCREEN". All functions are done via the rear full colour screen. hmm, WELL ALRIGHT, HONEST! If you put a flash on the D40, heavy lens etc the camera feels SO imbalanced, and your hands are so close together.

Who would buy a D40x over a D70, unless the female ergonomics were essenitial by a casual user. Like Jimmy, some people buy a camera with no real intention of getting too into it, but soon do, and the D70 has more longevity.

Sorry VINTAGE, the D40x is such a great educated buy given the options out there :-) (not being arsey but you had a crack at me with the caps lock)

mole2k
20-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I wouldnt agree with the High iso bit using a flash isnt an alternative as it gives you a very different style of shot, also use of flashes isnt always permitted depending where you are shooting.

jimmy
20-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I certainly wouldn't say the D40/x is crap - its just limited in terms of where you can move up with it.

maverick
20-08-2007, 04:16 PM
I certainly wouldn't say the D40/x is crap - its just limited in terms of where you can move up with it.

Agreed. I'm not saying it's Cr*p, but it is very limited. My D70 is so much nicer to use (backlight screen and fingertip jogwheel and buttons), despite my D50 having slightly better colour and sharpness.

I know flashes produce a completely different picture, but I think it's better to learn flash tricks that get complacant bumping up ISO's etc, although I guess you guys are talking track specific shots and not exactly high quality portraits. I'm probably one of the more experienced nightclub photgraphers (which along with weddings is the hardest photography to learn). I use various filters, homemade gells, bounce cards etc to get good light. Personally I think racers should be happy with subtle flashes used in moderation.

WITHOUT using flashes you might be better with a CANON to reduce noise.

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Maverick, we obviously disagree. I've never said the D40/x was the best choice, period rather it was the best choice if buying new within the OP's budget.

key buttons and dials AND......."NO LCD TOPSCREEN". All functions are done via the rear full colour screen. hmm, WELL ALRIGHT, HONEST! If you put a flash on the D40, heavy lens etc the camera feels SO imbalanced, and your hands are so close together.

All of this is your opinion. I used to have a Canon T90 film camera and haven't seriously missed any function. My D40 does everything I want most of the time. I do a lot of portrait shooting and would have liked a bottom grip and side shutter release, but it's not a big deal. It would be nice to be able to change the film speed and white balance quicker, but it's not a big deal. If I were doing it for a living it would be, but I don't, it's a hobby.

As for the caps, I was just empasizing in the same you had previously, apologies if you took it another way.

mole2k
20-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I do use flashes when I feel they are appropriate but when shooting r/c indoors I tend to not use flash so I wont distract people who are trying to race.

evilbert
20-08-2007, 06:16 PM
well this really has opened a can of worms but if i could put a finer search on what i'm after as i went into jessops today to have a look at these cameras first hand...

I really want a camera that i can build on and not have to upgrade after 6 months because either lack of lense choice or not being able to take the pics i want.

Also i really need to be able to change settings quickly as i will be mainly using it for RC race meets where you only have 5 mins to get the shot your after so i would really like more buttons over an on screen menu.

As for where the images will end up, a number of places really, generally not to be printed but they will be used on the web and also published in a magazine or 2 hopefully.

I would rather get a camera where a flash is not necessary as many people have already said drivers tend to start throwing things at you if you blind them too much with a flash and i dont like the pictures a flash generally provides.

from what people have said i guess the decission is between something like the Nikon D70 or the Cannon 350/400D. what are the differences between these cameras, or am i still on the wrong tracks?

are the nikon lenses compatible with the cannon systems and visa versa or are they a different fixing?

this sort of money is quite a lot to spend for me so i'm sorry if i'm asking obvious questions but i really dont want to make the wrong choice and have to shell out twice. I guess i'm in the same boat that Jimmy was in 3 years ago, no real intention of taking this too seriously but if i do i want to know the kit i'm buying is going to be up to the job, i'd rather spend an extra £100 now than have to buy a whole new body in a few months

once again all your help is very much appreciated :)

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 06:49 PM
from what people have said i guess the decission is between something like the Nikon D70 or the Cannon 350/400D. what are the differences between these cameras, or am i still on the wrong tracks?Both the Canons are newer than the D70 and both have higher resolution (which isn't that significant for many users). Review for the cameras can be found here:
D70 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/
350D http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/
400D http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

are the nikon lenses compatible with the cannon systems and visa versa or are they a different fixing?Totally different.

However, as I understand it, due to a slight difference in focusing distance between the back of the lens and the sensor (Nikon being slightly longer) it is possible to get an adaptor to fit Nikon lenses to Canon bodies, both adapting the physical connections and moving the lens away from the sensor so it focuses in the right place. Since you would need to move canon lenses closer on a Nikon camera, it is not possible, as any physical adaptor moves it further away.

I don't know if this allows the lenses to auto focus and other electronic communication between the lens and body, I doubt it.

Personally, I would treat the two systems as incompatible.

mole2k
20-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Reguarding nikon lenses on canon bodies, it can be done but you wont get autofocus and unless the lens has an aperture ring you also wont be able to stop down to smaller apertures.

There is an adapter that will give you the focus confirmation bleep when using nikon lenses on a canon body but thats about the most amount of talking between them you'll get.

There is an adapter that lets you use canon lenses on a nikon body but its quite expensive and will degrade image quality, increase the magnifcation and lower the amount of light getting in as it requires optical elements to refocus the lens.

Generally speaking they are incompatable in any real way (although I do use a Nikkor micro 55mm f2.8 macro on my 20d)

evilbert
20-08-2007, 09:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180150357666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

what about this as a starter package?

VintageRacer
20-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Looks just fine. I would be inclined to almost ignore the fact it has a lens when deciding your bid. As mentioned previously this lens has been replaced with the 55-200VR which can be bought inexpensively, so the non-VR is should be pretty cheap now. The VR versions are selling new for around £130 and the non-VR new for around £100. Personally I don't think the non-VR is worth it at this price and I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £60 for a used one.

Bodies only seem to sell for around £200 so I think I'd be bidding up to around £250. Ask to see some shots of the rear (check for scratches on the screen and excessive wear around the buttons) and inside the body with the lens off (look for damage to the lens mount and mirror, etc.)

Also "3 fps continuous shooting for up to 144 consecutive shots" is a bit of an exaggeration. It might be able to 144 images on the basic setting, lowest resolution, but DPReview.com reckons 12 (which will be at full quality jpeg setting). 12 is more than enough for most purposes but I thought I'd draw you attention to it.

lazerboy
21-08-2007, 07:14 PM
HEY GUESS WHAT!!!!!

I got this at a vegas pawn shop for $65!!!!! SWEET!!!!!

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=138&modelid=8771

josh_smaxx
21-08-2007, 08:41 PM
HEY GUESS WHAT!!!!!

I got this at a vegas pawn shop for $65!!!!! SWEET!!!!!

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=138&modelid=8771

As far as i can see its not a digital........

VintageRacer
21-08-2007, 08:48 PM
"35mm" That's film that is.

lazerboy
21-08-2007, 09:10 PM
so? that's not a bad thing.

ashleyb4
21-08-2007, 09:12 PM
yes it is think of all the money you spend on film with digital all you have to do is have a card any pictures that arent that good you can just delete.

A

josh_smaxx
21-08-2007, 09:12 PM
DSLR

:rolleyes:

lazerboy
21-08-2007, 09:19 PM
canon's got those. but some are very ugly.
like this:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10598
i don't like the bulge at the bottom.

josh_smaxx
21-08-2007, 09:29 PM
canon's got those. but some are very ugly.
like this:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10598
i don't like the bulge at the bottom.

Ye.... the buldge at the bottom is the battery, and the 1D is around £1600 IIRC in this country, could be wrong though.

mole2k
21-08-2007, 09:38 PM
The bulge at the bottom as well as for a battery is so you can hold the camera sideways and shoot portrait shots, it has an extra set of controls there so the camera can be operated at that orientation.

Films ok but I couldnt afford the cost of shooting it all the time, at least not without setting up my own darkroom. I had costed this out when I was looking to get my 20D, I had considered getting a 1V and a neg scanner but the added cost would of been too much to do event photography.

telboy
21-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Tell you what.
When my daughter was born I just had a 35mm snapper. after spending 100's of pounds on films (you do take a lot of photo's when you have children) I decided to spend those 100's of pounds on a digital snapper....RESULT!!
I saved what has to be £1000's in films, developing etc.

and with an SLR, theres nothing worse that going through 3-4 rolls of film, only to realise when they're developed, that somethings not right with the camera. thats £3-6 per film and another £4-10 developing wasted, plus a day taking pictures that you wont get the chance to do again.

I've now had my new Canon 400d/Xti thingy about 2 month and I've already taken well over 3000 photos. Ok a lot of those didn't work out, but that is the beauty of digital. you can just snap away, look at the viewfinder, if it didn't work out, take it again!

At batley the other weekend, I took about 900 pics with around 150-200 being usable. (I am still getting used to it ;) ) Imagine how much that would cost in films!

But I would NEVER go back to film.

I need a 'reasonable' zoom to work with, just to stop me standing REALY close to the track.:D

VintageRacer
22-08-2007, 09:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180150357666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

what about this as a starter package?

Did you buy it?

evilbert
22-08-2007, 10:03 PM
no i missed it and it went for 275, i've got my eye on a couple of others though

evilbert
23-08-2007, 12:08 AM
being new to this game I'm sorry to ask these questions but do you think this is worth the BIN price
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-and-18-70mm-F-3-5-4-5G-IF-ED-Lens_W0QQitemZ150154063387QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31388 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or maybe this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-DSLR-Kit-2-x-Nikon-lenses-Macro-Set_W0QQitemZ290153112611QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31388Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

VintageRacer
23-08-2007, 05:55 AM
being new to this game I'm sorry to ask these questions but do you think this is worth the BIN price
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-and-18-70mm-F-3-5-4-5G-IF-ED-Lens_W0QQitemZ150154063387QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31388 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£350 seems OK, but you are then paying around £130 for the lens. I think this is about the top you should be paying and could probably get it cheaper.
This one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-DSLR-Kit-2-x-Nikon-lenses-Macro-Set_W0QQitemZ290152951653QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31388Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
makes it look about right though.

or maybe this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-DSLR-Kit-2-x-Nikon-lenses-Macro-Set_W0QQitemZ290153112611QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31388Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lol, someone bought it already. That seemed to me to be a bargain. Hope it was you.

VintageRacer
23-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Oh, it's a different listing. Wonder why he has 2 identical set-ups for sale?

Looking again. I think you would find the wider angle of the 18-70 more useful than the 28-80 and the seller also has the 70-300 for an extra £50 giving you the telephoto you need for the same money as the other listing.

You could probably get it all cheaper but it might take you a while.

D70 with 18-70 went for £275 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-Digital-Camera-with-Nikkor-AF-S-18-70mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ220140706213QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31388 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Same with bag went for £320 + £35! postage (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-Digital-Camera-with-18-70mm-Lens-Mint_W0QQitemZ200141951217QQihZ010QQcategoryZ31388 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
with 28-80 lens - £235 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-Digital-Camera-with-28-80mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ330154158378QQihZ014QQcategoryZ31388 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
with 18-70 £371 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-D70-Digital-Camera-with-18-70mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ220136240204QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31388 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

You need to decide how badly you want to start taking photos now.

evilbert
23-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I have one last question before i finally take the plunge into the DSLR world,

what is the difference between the D70 and the D70s, i understand that it has upgraded firmware but does it make a huge difference to the pics of the menu system?

thanks for all your help guys its really helped me out....

I'll post a few pics once i get one

VintageRacer
23-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Looking at the specs side by side they appear identical apart from a larger LCD (2" instead of 1.8") on the s version.

It would appear (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05051701d70firmware.asp) that the firmware on the D70 can be upgraded to give many of the features the D70s has. The most significant seems to be an improvement in the Autofocusing "improved 5-area AF performance (especially continuous tracking)" which will help trying to track cars.

evilbert
23-08-2007, 09:39 AM
many thanks, i've downloaded the firmware ready for the camera, now all i have to do is actually buy one lol...

VintageRacer
23-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I've just had an email from Nikon Europe to announce the launch of the D3 and D300.

The D3 is the fastest D-SLR in its class, boasting an exclusive 12.1 effective megapixel FX format (36.0 x 23.9mm) image sensor and a cutting-edge image processing system. Developed after years of research and feedback, it features a brand new 51-point autofocus system, ISO settings from 200-6400, 9fps frame advance and a 3-inch VGA LCD screen with Live View to offer unparalleled handling and imaging.

The trailblazing new D300 represents a breakthrough in compact professional-standard performance. With a class-leading 12.3 megapixel resolution and a wealth of advanced multi-functional technologies, the DX format D300 offers exceptional ease of use and superb image quality. With ultra-fast response, speedy 6fps, a high-definition 3-inch VGA LCD display panel and an innovative self-cleaning sensor unit, the highly durable D300 sets new standards for advanced compact D-SLRs.

Might be worth waiting a while and getting that D70 cheaper, but then with any technology, you can always say that.

jimmy
23-08-2007, 05:16 PM
haha, indeed you can. I can't see these new cameras effecting the price of D70 or similar models really as they are a step above. The D200 is my favorite camera though and this new D300 looks a nice upgrade, the D3 looks awesome though. hmmmm - nah! that would be naughty.

VintageRacer
24-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Jimmy, sell your D70 to help fund it, I know someone that is looking for one!

evilbert
24-08-2007, 09:40 AM
now theres an idea :)

jimmy
24-08-2007, 09:44 AM
haha, I probably will sell it but can't just at the moment until after the world champs

evilbert
27-08-2007, 10:09 AM
well i finally found a cheap one, i've taken a chance with the lense but it was £100 cheaper than all the others of a similar spec so i thought it was worth a gamble.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320149697919&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

can't wait to get it now and get snapping away.

c0sie
27-08-2007, 01:20 PM
The PRO reports are gonna look classy now Bill eh :D

spuddy
28-08-2007, 05:23 PM
The PRO reports are gonna look classy now Bill eh :D
if it turns up in time.

evilbert
28-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Well its gona be with me by 1 pm tomorrow so it should be well in time for the nats, cant wait

tjpMT2
28-08-2007, 06:25 PM
he D3 looks awesome though. hmmmm - nah! that would be naughty.

would wait a year to see if the D3X isnt just a romour does take some prety good shots (http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=466853&pagenumber=2) though :cool: