PDA

View Full Version : Car/Bike/Van etc Insurance / Legal Cover Option

Chequered Flag Racing
20-08-2010, 11:17 AM
time for renewal :(, so

1. anyone had to use it and does it do what it says on the tin?

2. anyone wished they'd taken it out?

will save her indoors approx £25 but is it worth the risk not taking it out?

MatJohnson
20-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Depends if you intend to crash or not. I've never had it, only time I might have needed it was when the mrs hit someone and it went 50/50, they said I needed legal cover to get half the excess back.

Skodes
20-08-2010, 12:27 PM
It's sods law, you'll need it if you dont have it.

Paying for legal cover is basically the insurance company agreeing to pay your legal fee's should anything ever have to go to court etc. For £25 I'd say it's as well to have it, because you never know! :)

Stu

mattybucks
20-08-2010, 12:51 PM
It's up to you, you don't need it if you are able to persue a claim yourself, failing that you can always take out an After The Event (ATE) policy which covers the legal costs if you lose.

A CFA (conditional fee agreement) usually known as a "no win, no fee" is also a way of persuing a claim. However should you lose then you will be responsible for the third parties legal costs.

But you can always persue a claim with a CFA and an ATE to cover yourself if needed.

Oh and if you win then the other party will pay your costs anyway.

SlowOne
20-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Always taken it out, never needed it. In these days when there are so many scams, number plate cloning and the really dodgy 'contract hire' brigade, and ever-larger lawyers fees, my fifteen years-worth of contributions to something I've never claimed on amounts to about two days fees for a good solicitor. For me, that's money well spent.

Look at it another way; I've paid out for fully comp for over 30 years, and in that time made three claims. I could have settled all the claims with the extra money I've paid over the saving for a lower level of cover, but I still insure fully comp. If you really want to save money, insure third party only. HTH :)

bodgit
20-08-2010, 08:53 PM
A bit like home building and contents insurance really. You probably have had it for many years and possibly never claimed on it but its good to know if you need it its there.
£25 that will buy you about 10-15 mins of a solicitors time.

mattybucks
20-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Always taken it out, never needed it. In these days when there are so many scams, number plate cloning and the really dodgy 'contract hire' brigade, and ever-larger lawyers feesonly.:)

Motor claims are dealt with by way of predictive costs £800 + 20% of the total value of the claim plus disbursements (medical report, engineers report ect).

In regard to credit hire, innocent party can hire a vehicle on "credit" and then recover it from the at fault party as a head of claim, however a claimant responsible for any outstanding amount that is not recovered. This often happens were the claimant fail to mitigate there losses, which is a whole different topic.