PDA

View Full Version : RCS Chrome

jonmiller
20-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey gang

Just to let you know that I now have the chrome in stock and is available. Should be up on the website tonight or tomorrow.
Did a quick touring car wing with it and got some pics. Hard to take pics of and the light wasn't very clever outside but it gives you an idea.
Shiny goodness. :)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/th_Picture077-1.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/?action=view&current=Picture077-1.jpg)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/th_Picture076-1.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/?action=view&current=Picture076-1.jpg)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/th_Picture074.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/?action=view&current=Picture074.jpg)

blitzboy
20-08-2010, 03:57 PM
what make is it dude :D

DCM
20-08-2010, 04:09 PM
looks good, whats it going to cost fella?

jonmiller
20-08-2010, 04:44 PM
what make is it dude :D

RCS

:thumbsup:

looks good, whats it going to cost fella?

I think it will be around £6.95 per 1oz bottle

ryanlownie
20-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Very nice! Looks smoooooth!

Is is rattle can or airbrush? How many coats for your example and does it need backing? I'm interested in this stuff, it looks ace.

DCM
20-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I would guess, like all Chromes, it needs backing with black.

jonmiller
20-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Only for airbrush at present. As for coats, it all depends on what you class as light/heavy coats etc but for this wing test I did 2 or 3 mist coats and a couple light/medium coats.
As DCM says, backed with black. Only tested it with a black backer but I'm sure like other chromes, the backing color doesn't affect it a great deal.

ryanlownie
20-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds good, the reason I ask is that the chrome I use (Custom Colour) doesn't require backing for a good effect. Obviously that's rattle cans though.

I think I'll have to get some ordered shortly!

jonmiller
20-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Ah right, that's a bonus then. Can't say I've ever tried it.

jonmiller
20-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Had a quick look at the numbers, it will be £6.50 a bottle.

telboy
20-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Blimey! Didn't realise you did all those paints lol.
Just ordered some createx bits.
let us know when the chrome goes on the site, I'll get some ordered. :)

Nice work.

DCM
20-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Me too....

Now if one of you guys know of a vynil cutter going dirt cheap...

jonmiller
20-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Blimey! Didn't realise you did all those paints lol.
Just ordered some createx bits.
let us know when the chrome goes on the site, I'll get some ordered. :)
Nice work.

Just spotted that, thought it was you, thanks!

I think it'll be nice to have somewhere for people to get rc paint supplies from, from an rc painter. Being a small company (just me, haha) I hope it gives people a more personal assistance as opposed to dealing with someone from a large company who is just there answering the phone/taking orders and doesn't know or care about the customers or the products they're offering.
I like to help people and if I can I will do. If it brings a few extra pennies for the ole sky rocket then even better. Think it'll be awhile before I'm sittin' on a beach in mexico slingin' back the margiritas. haha :D

Will hopefully get the chrome up tonight or tomorrow.

Me too....

Now if one of you guys know of a vynil cutter going dirt cheap...

Nice one bud.

Ebay I guess. Not sure what price youre looking to spend but ive heard good things about the P-Cut series of cutters.

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Paint pages have been updated.

ApexSpeed
21-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Jon, any chance you have access to Spaztix and Alclad versions to show a true comparison of the products on a sheet of Lexan?

I have used both of the others, and I wonder how this compares to them.

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I do mate. Will do a test now as I'm not doing anything at the minute.

njc11
21-08-2010, 04:00 PM
:cool: im liking that!!

Maybe use abit of this on my next shells?? ;) what you reckon with my colurs buddy?

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 04:27 PM
why not bud. :) have you sent the shells yet?

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Did a quick test of which here are the results..

Tried to keep everything as fair as possible, same number of coats/amount of paint/direction/speed/drying/postion of camera n lighting. Taking the pics was nigh on impossible to keep constant/fair especially with the nature of the reflectivity of the chrome and the outside light/clouds, angles/bend of the transparency stips they were sprayed. The transparency strips themselves didnt lend to very good testing for any of the paints but i didnt have any decent scraps of lexan. Had a few old wings etc lying about but they were a bit scuffed up.

Overall, there isn't a great deal in it and you wouldn't be dissapointed with any of them. For doing small areas like pinstripes etc there would be even less in it. If you were to do a whole large area then it might be abit more favourable one way or the other.

If i had to put an honest placing of them it would be Spazstix, RCS Chrome then the Alclad.

It is very close between the spaz n rcs in regards to clarity, I think the spaz stix is a tad brighter.

Like said though, All are great products and wont dissapoint.
There you have it, tried to be as honest and fair as poss.

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I will add that RCS Chrome is in stock and available for immediate despatch. Readily available from me with no wondering if or when you might see your order. ;) :lol:

Regards,

Jon

telboy
21-08-2010, 06:26 PM
You have a PM dude. :)

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 06:46 PM
back at ya ;)

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 07:21 PM
would like to do a test on some nice bits of lexan (and when..i mean if we get some sun :D ) as look at the rcs chrome on this wing..
Bling bling baby!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/Picture077-1.jpg

QuackingPlums
21-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Woohoo! Putting an order in now - do I need reducer with any of these paints Jon? I'm using an entry level gravity fed brush with a 50psi compressor and will be starting on my second airbrush attempt with this little lot :woot:

Can't wait! :wub

jonmiller
21-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks Eric! Just spotted that mate.

I had to dip into the stock for a bottle of white and I think it must be from their latest batch as it seems to flow super smooth. Depending on your gun and setup it should spray straight from the bottle. If you do need to thin them, being a waterbased system they can be thinned with just water. Auto air reducer works well and I will try to get some on my next restocking order. Liquitex airbrush medium is also good. Createx transparent based works also. I'm greedy so I tend to make a mixture up in some paint mixing bottles using a combination of all of them. haha :D

Will get them out monday for you.

Many thanks

carlin
21-08-2010, 10:33 PM
would like to do a test on some nice bits of lexan (and when..i mean if we get some sun :D ) as look at the rcs chrome on this wing..
Bling bling baby!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/jonmills/Picture077-1.jpg

Sweet Chrome is this what you going to use on my bodies very nice indeed :thumbsup:

QuackingPlums
24-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks Eric! Just spotted that mate.

I had to dip into the stock for a bottle of white and I think it must be from their latest batch as it seems to flow super smooth. Depending on your gun and setup it should spray straight from the bottle. If you do need to thin them, being a waterbased system they can be thinned with just water. Auto air reducer works well and I will try to get some on my next restocking order. Liquitex airbrush medium is also good. Createx transparent based works also. I'm greedy so I tend to make a mixture up in some paint mixing bottles using a combination of all of them. haha :D

Will get them out monday for you.

Many thanks

Got 'em! Cheers Jon! Super quick service! :thumbsup:

telboy
24-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Right, the verdict on the RCS Chrome...

Feckin awesome!
used it for the first time tonight and I was amazed. At first it just seems like any other chrome. but as you work with it you realise that it seems to bond to the plastic more than other chromes. I could peel off the masking liquid/film without any of the chrome paint peeling off, which I had problems with others when the paint was fresh and I was doing them quickly (eg 30min per shell sort of speed). With other chromes when the paint was being force dried, it made all the edges of the chrome paint seal with the masking, and thus, peeled the chrome off when you wanted to unmask.
This never happened once with the RCS chrome. Everything peeled off clean and crisp.

As for the finish, I've tried all the chromes on the market and this one is definately the best mirror finish.

As far as chromes go, this one is pretty much perfect.

Its dark now, so pics are not good, so I'll get some good pics tomorrow when theres more light.

njc11
25-08-2010, 07:13 AM
why not bud. :) have you sent the shells yet?

Not yet pal... im still waiting on them! :mad: as soon i get them i'll let you know :thumbsup:

jonmiller
25-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Got 'em! Cheers Jon! Super quick service! :thumbsup:

You're welcome matey. :thumbsup:

Right, the verdict on the RCS Chrome...

Feckin awesome!
used it for the first time tonight and I was amazed. At first it just seems like any other chrome. but as you work with it you realise that it seems to bond to the plastic more than other chromes. I could peel off the masking liquid/film without any of the chrome paint peeling off, which I had problems with others when the paint was fresh and I was doing them quickly (eg 30min per shell sort of speed). With other chromes when the paint was being force dried, it made all the edges of the chrome paint seal with the masking, and thus, peeled the chrome off when you wanted to unmask.
This never happened once with the RCS chrome. Everything peeled off clean and crisp.

As for the finish, I've tried all the chromes on the market and this one is definately the best mirror finish.

As far as chromes go, this one is pretty much perfect.

Its dark now, so pics are not good, so I'll get some good pics tomorrow when theres more light.

Sweet, nice to hear buddy! Need to get a little endorsed by tel sticker on the bottles. Haha.
Glad you got on well with it. Now i need to get it in all the shops ;)

telboy
25-08-2010, 06:02 PM
the shells in the link below used the RCS Chrome....

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=407912#post407912

jonmiller
25-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice1 T!!

MOGGIE XL
29-08-2010, 05:04 PM
These chrome paints look realy good is there anything like it for painting on the outside of things.The reason I ask is I've got some old CAT XLS wheels that have lost there shine.If there is would one of you shell painters consider painting them.

jonmiller
29-08-2010, 05:19 PM
when painting on the outside, the surface need to be as glass like as possible. so the prep work would be quite time consuming or in other words costly :D
when done on lexan shells in reverse the lexan acts as the glassy base so no prep is needed.

DCM
30-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Used it, approve it, like Tel, I used to hate using Chrome, as unless you left it till the last colour, or it had no surrounding masking, there was always the chance of it lifiting, RCS Chrome seemed to 'adhear' to the shell good and proper!

blitzboy
10-09-2010, 02:30 PM
been optermistic about trying new chrome but will admit that the chrome i used to use still lifted the odd occasion but having used rcws chrome a few time now i will hand it to ya jon its awesome the best chrome i ve ever seen ,,,,, 110% and i will be oredering some more soon ,,, its so nice to paint with and it does nt get on my chest too cheers jon :thumbsup:

DCM
10-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Odd place to be spraying Chrome their G... on your chest?

blitzboy
10-09-2010, 03:19 PM
hahahahhahahaaha never even crossed my mind buddy ,,, non water based paints normally give me chest problems thats all :eh?:

jonmiller
10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
haha :D

glad you like it G

just got some candy samples to test for selling but they didnt seem to stick to the lexan as much as i wouldve liked so will speak to the paint dude and see if we can alter the mixture abit so it does.

DCM
10-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Got to admit, I had resorted to Alclad II as it was easy to get and reasonably cheap (compared to Spaz), but now we got your chrome, I am starting to use it much more.

What we need now, is a colour similar to the Anodized Spaz paint, so you can really use the chrome to back with good effect?

jonmiller
10-09-2010, 04:48 PM
thats why im trying to get some candies in. like said, will speak to the paint man and see if we can get them working better with the lexan.

DCM
10-09-2010, 04:53 PM