PDA

View Full Version : 501x First Time Out

JonB
03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Well I had my first run with my new 501x at Silverstone yesterday and was pretty pleased with the car overall. Started with Jimmy's set-up and didnt really alter much - like a lot of people I had my best run in round 1 and seemed to get worse after that as the (grass!?!!) track got harder to drive.

Disspointed in the final - I was pole in the F (only time I will ever be F1 lol!) then the white 36T rear diff pulley just gave up on me after a couple of minutes!!

Anyone else ever had a diff pulley break on their 501x?

jimmy
03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
How do you mean it gave up? did it strip or did the diff come loose? The only time I killed a white 36t pulley was at southport when a big sharp stone managed to get in the rear gearbox - but it didn't stop me finishing my race.

JonB
03-09-2007, 11:38 PM
The pulley ended up in two pieces in the same way that the black front one comes before you glue the one side onto the pulley! There appears to be some damage to the bit that came off so maybe it was also a stone that caused it.

jimmy
03-09-2007, 11:44 PM
sounds possible. I had a black one fall apart - bad gluing, but since then it's been ok. The white ones are glued in the factory I assume but I've not seen one come apart before.

JonB
03-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Cheers Jimmy - I'll put it down to a bit of bad luck then. You've been having some good results recently with the car - any new set ups to post or are you still on the York one?

jimmy
04-09-2007, 12:05 AM
I am pretty much still on that - I tried the small diffs front and rear for a while but have gone back to the overdriven front which on loose tracks is certainly nicer to drive. I've tried the machined pistons, which weren't much good - they change the damping too much.
The main thing was getting it reliable - I had a lot of problems with little stuff like wheel nuts and ball cups.. Since going to the HB cups (and balls) and now HB serrated wheel nuts - I've not had any problems.

I am now using the big belts / pulleys. I've written a little article on these which needs finishing off. The car is still performing brilliantly and it's one of the few that can take being thrashed into a wall without damage. A good thing if you're me! :D.

JonB
05-09-2007, 08:51 AM
I wont ask about the wall incident but I'm glad the car survived !!

Jimmy - do you have the part number for those serrated HB wheel nuts please? I've seen a few people losing wheels recently and don't want to join them!

Looking forward to the review of the big belts / pulleys.

Thanks again.