PDA

View Full Version : where to weight the b4

captainlip
03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Got my weights today and looking for info on where to place the weights for more grip and handling? Also over jumps need to keep the throttle going to lift the front end up.

All advice will be tried and tested!

MiCk B.
03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Hey,

Start with about 20grms in the rear bulkhead between the gearbox and the rear suspension mount.

Then about the same on the front bulkhead.

If you are running lipo with the stock battery strap you can add about 40 - 60 grms to the battery strap.

That should give a good starting point.

MiCk B. :-)

PaulRotheram
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Here's a post from my b4 when I added weights to it:
http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost.php?p=401876&postcount=20

Check out the whole thread for alot more information on how I set it up

The Pookster
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Use the kitchens scales to get some data behind what you're doing. Measure the weight on the front wheels, then the rear wheels. Divide the front weight by the total front and rear to get the percentage front weight distribution.

B4 should be around 33% front without added weight, you need to add to the front to get at least 35% front for astro.

RudeTony
06-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Put around 70g under your servo and between 50 - 90g under your Lipos depending on track conditions. Also run a Ghea front bulkhead again for certain tracks..... Dialled !!!

Timee80
06-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Are people still adding weight to a b4.1? Associated say the b4.1 was designed to be setup for todays light weight lipos

NitroArgi
06-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Put around 70g under your servo and between 50 - 90g under your Lipos depending on track conditions. Also run a Ghea front bulkhead again for certain tracks..... Dialled !!!

Hey Tony

Can you please explain further the different track conditions that require different weights in the car?

When do we use the "heavy" car and when a lighter one? When the Ghea products and when the different weights that you make?

Regards
Argi

Lonestar
07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Are people still adding weight to a b4.1? Associated say the b4.1 was designed to be setup for todays light weight lipos

hehe :D Glad to see I am not the only one wondering about all this.

Some interesting discussion here (ie like 5 topics below yours on the list):

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51872

with some pretty big guns chiming in later in the thread.

Paul

RudeTony
07-09-2010, 11:03 AM
OMG - what is the matter with everyone....JUST PUT WEIGHT IN - Lead, brass, bricks if you will.....the 2wd cars go better with weight in them.....ghea, trishbits, rudebits, cement, whatever you can find - just put it in the bloody car and it goes better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, it's not rocket science at all.....a heavier car is easier to drive, rides the bumps better and altemately is faster....

Ask double 2010 European Champion Lee Martin if he has weight in his car? Ah yes he has.
Ellis Stafford? ah yes.

2wd cars need weight but not so much in 4wd cars

Do I really need to repeat all that has been said??
Even Richard Lowe has weight in his car - sorry Rich
you did say it ws 1700g
Sorry but I can't stop laughing LOL

OMG how hard can it be?????

NitroArgi
07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Tony I agree with you that weight does work!!!

My question is when for example do you use the 50gr under the lipo and when the 70gr??? When the heavy weight under the servo and under which conditions the light???

RudeTony
07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry - I have been asked about weight so so much!
In Touring cars where it's flat the cars need to be light - as light as they can get them within the limit - I think anyone that has done touring cars would agree with me........so in the off road class if the track is very flat and note the word 'very' flat and you can put down the power without wheelies everywhere then lighter could be quicker and please note the word 'could' be quicker. I run in practice both weights so I know what feels the better for me. The majority of the time I end up with the heavier weight especially if it's bumpy. If no bumps then I try to run lighter but all this seems to do is make the car more difficult to drive - the benefit of lighter in my opinion does not out weigh the fact that heavier is easier and results in less errors etc etc .
By the way, I run the lighter servo weight with the lighter under lipo weight and the heavier with the heavier - the balance therefore stays very similar

Hope it all makes sence

rob m
07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
i use around 55grms round the servo and thats it,mainly just to keep the car from lifting front wheels. but the one thing i often think to myself is that if i need to weight a car to say "ride the bumbs better" surely this means that my spring/damping is to heavy for the weight of the standerd car, to me adding weight is just an easy and maybe lazy way to tune the car into riding the bumps smoothly instead of spending hours finding the right oil weight and spring rate to smooth the cars chassis without adding weight, also adding weight surley will put strain on your drive gear/electrics etc,and the heavier the car the more chance to break in an impact or crash. another thing whilst were discussing weight and how important it is on were to put it etc, how many people balance the wieght of the reciever to the esc, and actually check and balance corner weights?

RudeTony
08-09-2010, 07:04 AM
i use around 55grms round the servo

So you do add weight?

easy and maybe lazy way to tune the car into riding the bumps smoothly instead of spending hours finding the right oil weight and spring rate

One has to assume you don't do Nationals and Regionals - You have 3 minute practice setions at Nationals - NOT hours

Richard Lowe
08-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Oh god here we go again.
Do I really need to repeat all that has been said??
Even Richard Lowe has weight in his car - sorry Rich
you did say it ws 1700g
Sorry but I can't stop laughing LOL
Please re-read my post in the other thread Tony...
I've found in the case of the X6 all the weights are to move the weight around in the car, not to increase the running weight in general. The fact the car ends up heavy is just a side effect of it being a bit of a fatty, mine is almost 1700g without any weight in. I have around 100g in mine which I move about to change the balance, I wish I could try it lighter but the base car being so heavy means thats not possible :(

I couldn't really spell it out any more than that then, I'll try and break it down even more...

1 - The X6 is heavy, I wish it wasn't. Mine is 1700g or so with no additional weight.

2 - The weight I have in is to change where the weight is, not to make the car heavier.

3 - A side effect of 2 is that it makes 1 worse.

The reason I kept on at it in the last thread is you made the blanket statement that a heavy car is faster/better in all conditions for every driver, which simply isn't the case.

Rob m you are talking sense sir :)

I'm not going to get involved in this thread any more, I needed to correct the above though ;)

RudeTony
08-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I agree that we will beg to differ on our opinions but Rich me old fruit how how how can you make a statement about weight when your car is 1700g - whether you added it or not the bloody thing is 1700 and you are still adding weight by your own admition - seriously mate, please think about what you are saying - weight does work :)

The last comment I am going to make on your car Rich.
If your car was lets say 1200g ?!
You say you add 100g for the right balance and I agree that weight is also designed to balance cars not just make them heavy. I often say they are a tuning aid.
I say that with your car at lets say all up at 1300g it will NOT perform as well as if it was 1600g.
That is my opinion Rich and under the circumtances that no top top driver has he car on or below the weight limit I must have some sort of point.
That is my argument or my point of view or whatever else you want to call it.

ps - your car is still some 1800g heavy - remember your own admition

Richard Lowe
08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Going back on what I said about not getting involved any more :p

I agree that we will beg to differ on our opinions but Rich me old fruit how how how can you make a statement about weight when your car is 1700g - whether you added it or not the bloody thing is 1700 and you are still adding weight by your own admition - seriously mate, please think about what you are saying
Are you on crack? :confused:

Let's go word for word to make it easier..

I... (easy one)
can't... (ok?)
make... (still following?)
it... (hang on!)
any... (almost there)
lighter...(phew!)

I'm not suggesting for a second a car on the weight limit will be faster 100% of the time either, there's a time and a place and all that...

markwilliamson2001
08-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I think I can make this clearer!

Most of the buggies were designed around NiMH cells (heavy). The setups we learned on these cells we then need to make work with lighter lipo cells. An easy way to do this is to add weight to bring it up to the same weight as with NIMH's.

I have run indoors on carpet both with and without weight. In all honesty, the car will be quicker without weight, since it can accelerate, turn and jump and land both faster and better. The problem with this is that it can give the impression of a twitchy car, leading to more mistakes and a slower time.

With the heavy rear end of the B4, adding weight over the nose can actually make it handle better (esp with Lipo), since it can generate more power on steering (which is needed indoors with 2wd and the B4 esp). It also makes the car safer, and we dont need to change the shock setup as much to deal with a lighter car to fine tune it as much with the lighter cells.

Overall, I would say I am faster with a slight amount of weight in, it just makes the car easier and more consistent to drive.

Hope this helps the non F1's out there! :p

rob m
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
So you do add weight?

One has to assume you don't do Nationals and Regionals - You have 3 minute practice setions at Nationals - NOT hoursyes i do add a little weight as i said, just to keep front end from lifting, i now have a b4.1 with the weights still attacthed to the servo,ive yet to run it without weight up front,going to try it next time out but to be honest il be surprised if i notice the differance as the car has tons of stearing. and yes i race reginals, maybe hope to do nationals next year if i can, 3 minute practice is why i said adding weight is an easy way to tune your suspension set up to the track conditions.without the need to spend hours changing and testing oil,pistons,springs etc.

rob m
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
2 - The weight I have in is to change where the weight is, not to make the car heavier.

Rob m you are talking sense sir :)

I'm not going to get involved in this thread any more, I needed to correct the above though ;) richard i know what you mean (i think), you are adding extra weight to balance the car front to rear like i am with the 55g on my servo,am i correct? using a b4 as an example, what i dont understand is why people put say a brass bulkhead (40g) upfront then go and put 50g behind gearbox surely that just makes the point of adding a brass bulkhead pointless as its been affected/ cancelled out by the 50g thats been added at the rear,so i dont see the point of that extra weight!