PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed for B4.1 on Carpet !

knighthawk
25-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Can I ask for some help!

I bought a New B4.1 to use over the winter indoors on carpet.
Had it's first run this sunday and have problems finding a good setup that gives me confidence.

The basic problem is that over woops or small jumps the rear end of the car just jumps up and flips the car over or unsettles the rear end so it becomes unstable !

The most of the problem is off power, rolling over the woops etc into a tight corner or hairpin.

see pic below to see the final setup I used, with a addition of, Antisquat both inserts used with 2.5 rear toeblock !

Any help is much appreciated!
Dez

Richard Lowe
25-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Is the problem the rear kicking up, or the front collapsing and digging in...?

The front is a bit too springy for carpet with pins on the front, try going up to 35w oil - but leave the rest as-is.

Try standing the rear shocks up, indoors I like mine in hole 3 on the tower. Also 99% of the time you should be on the inner hole on the rear arms, the outer hole doesn't seem to work too well apart from certain conditions.

You might have too much antisquat too, you want to be on 2 degrees almost all the time in my experience :)

markwilliamson2001
25-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I agree with Richard here....put some 35wt oil in the front, and moving to at least hole 2 in the rear tower. Maybe go to a blue spring on the front.
You also dont mention any weight in the car. I would recommend the ghea std bulkheads front and rear in brass, as it just calms the car down enough to be stable.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mark

knighthawk
25-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Richard,

thanks for the help!

Is the problem the rear kicking up, or the front collapsing and digging in...?

I believe the problem is the rear end kicking !

Try standing the rear shocks up, indoors I like mine in hole 3 on the tower. Also 99% of the time you should be on the inner hole on the rear arms, the outer hole doesn't seem to work too well apart from certain conditions.

I looked at the rear shocks on the lower inner postion of the arm but couldn't get the ride hight right, the rear end looked like it was on stilts!

You might have too much antisquat too, you want to be on 2 degrees almost all the time in my experience :)

I try this again with the new shock positions !

knighthawk
25-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Cheers Mark,

I agree with Richard here....put some 35wt oil in the front, and moving to at least hole 2 in the rear tower. Maybe go to a blue spring on the front.

Will try this !

You also dont mention any weight in the car. I would recommend the ghea std bulkheads front and rear in brass, as it just calms the car down enough to be stable.

I'm running a 30g Rude Brass weight under the servo and a 10g on top of the servo, a racer at the meeting said this might help!

Like I said the issue seems to be with the rear end kicking up to much!

Thanka again for the help!

AndyG
25-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I looked at the rear shocks on the lower inner postion of the arm but couldn't get the ride hight right, the rear end looked like it was on stilts!

I had a similar issue with my new b4.1 - as did a couple of my "race pals" who had also just got the b4.1.

We noticed that all 4 shocks had the same shock bottom (ie the thing that retains the spring at the bottom), whereas we expected the fronts to be different from the rears. The shock bottom supplied was, to us at least, a "front" therefore the rear ride height was too much.

2 solutions... 1) take away the threaded shock collars and replace with an old fashioned snap on plastic one (a thin one of course), and 2) get replacement shock bottoms, ones which are intended for the rears.

Problem solved.