PDA

View Full Version : b4 sounds like a tractor???

captainlip
28-10-2010, 05:57 PM
ran my sp v3 yesterday and all was well till i went to crazy on the big jump and the motor came out, screwed it back in, checked the spur and pinion all is fine yet it sounds like its clicking as its going along, a bit like a diesel, im wondering if its the diff? as the motor is okay and its not up against the spur to tight either, what should i be looking for or what could be causing it as it sounds really rough.

thanks.

markwilliamson2001
28-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Is the spur gear damaged?
Is there any grit or anything in the spur or pinion teeth?
Is the motor plate bent?
Is there any tight spots in the gear mesh when rotating the spur by hand to check the mesh with the motor pinion?

Can you check the motor? Try taking it apart for a clean and checking it...

Hope this helps.

To check the diff, if its a ball diff, the diff screw is in the right hand side diff output, when facing the front.

Cheers
Mark

captainlip
28-10-2010, 06:35 PM
no no no and no lol :p

i think it must be the diff.

Tempest501
29-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi, I saw you reply to my thread from when I had a similar problem.

I ended up taking mine back to the shop and they fixed, its turned out to be the Gear Mesh. I did get them to show me how to fix it.Also had some tips in my thread.

Basically they loosended the motor, then folded an A4 piece of paper and but inbetween the Pinion Gear and Spur Gear/Slipper Clutch and then moved the motor into position. Then re-tighten the motor and roll the gear round to remove the paper. The mesh should sit right then ( Mine sounds fine so I guess it works).

My Slipper was way too loose as well so might want to check that.

I am a total newbie to this but I think i managed to understand them lol

captainlip
29-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Yes saw your thread ill have a look but sure its not that, im convinced its the diff will strip it at the weekend and have a look

Tempest501
29-10-2010, 02:55 PM
how old is it?

When i took mine back to the shop as it was only 2/3 weeks old they offered to strip and fix if needed.

Good luck with getting it sorted, know how frustrating it can be.

Laters

captainlip
29-10-2010, 04:44 PM
had it about 4 months now, will look into it, its not bothering me to much but I will have a look as it sounds crazy :lol:

captainlip
30-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Ok ive found the problem online and now i dont know what part im looking for and what part to order to fix it! Looked in the manual and cant find the matching shim number

Heres the link, can someone please advise me

http://www.aeforums.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=8879

russmini
30-10-2010, 10:12 PM
When the SC10's came out and this problem reared, all you did was phone up CML and they sent some out to you, or the shop where you bought it.

I would give one of the lads at CML a ring on monday and ask them about the Gear Diff Shims.

:thumbsup:

captainlip
30-10-2010, 10:30 PM
But what shim are we talking about the part number 9828 doesnt exist in my b4.1 manuals

markwilliamson2001
31-10-2010, 08:05 AM
No, it was an additional part that was brought out as a fix for the gear diff.

captainlip
31-10-2010, 10:02 AM
What part am i looking for though? Some diff rings on ebay but not sure which is correct one

captainlip
31-10-2010, 12:43 PM
got my diff srtipped infront of me for the second time and i still cant see what i need, i have the two shims from the outdrives but cant see why it needs changing.

markwilliamson2001
31-10-2010, 02:27 PM
There are 4 mini bevel gears that sit inside the diff housing.
There are also two bevel gears that sit behind the diff outdrives (the other side of where the driveshaft enters the diff).

The shims that were mentioned are to go behind the diff output gears, and effectively tighten up the mesh between the mini bevel gears, and the diff output gears.

Sorry i cannot make this any clearer!!
Take it back to the shop, or get a racer at a local club to have a look for you.

Cheers
Mark

dancr125
31-10-2010, 02:33 PM
But what shim are we talking about the part number 9828 doesnt exist in my b4.1 manuals
9828 is the differential gear. not a shim

captainlip
31-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Even adding a shim causes the diff to be to tight that it barely turns, had it out for 4 hours now trying things and nothing seems to be best, i think the best route is a rebuild kit and redo it from the ground up

captainlip
31-10-2010, 07:40 PM
right well ive just forked out £21 for a diff rebuild kit and some grease.

lets hope this sorts it! :cry:

captainlip
04-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Well the diff kit did sort it but i had to double up the shims! Lets hope it holds out!

captainlip
07-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Well im not to happy, not even had it racing since full diff rebuild and its clicking again!!! Getting a bit annoyed now as if followed so many tips ive found and i was sure it wouldnt happen again!

What should i do?

russmini
07-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Ask someone experianced to help/show you how to re-build it...

Thats not me being funny, just the only thing i can think of next.

captainlip
07-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Put it this way i know for defo that it could not be rebuilt any better!

JustARcFan
07-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Did you try another motor?

I had something similar a while ago.

captainlip
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
motor is brand new, but more powerful, ive just been out for a meet and done 4 heats and a final and tbh its livable its not as bad as it was. ive loosened the slipper slightly and this should take less stress off on the diff.

still this shouldnt be happening.