PDA

View Full Version : Help in the search for more grip

Rob H
04-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

Looking to improve the grip on my DF-03 by using a wider set of wheels/tyres on the front. This would need some mods the the steering hub to allow this but does anyone know if this is worth the effort or will using a "rear" on the front upset the balance and handling?

Also while i'm on the subject i hold my hands and admit i am a bit of a newbie to all of this so please cut me some slack if this is a daft question - What is up with rear set up on the DF-03, the wheels have a noticebly narrower track and also have a very distinct toe-in. Can this be corrected with an aftermarket lower arm?

DCM
04-10-2007, 09:54 AM
the car has rear toe-in to allow it to accelerate away neatly and controlled.

The car don't need wide front wheels and tyres though.

super__dan
04-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Rob, something would be very wrong with your setup if you needed to run rear wheels on the front. Without seeing your car it's difficult to see what this might be but the balance would be terrible with rears on the front.

Rob H
04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies, the problem being where i race often there are patches of soft very fine sand (sinking) or if on hard surface a very fine layer of sand on the surface (understeer), thought this may help in both cases.

bigred5765
04-10-2007, 11:03 AM
i would say experment with oil spring and different tyre combos

scotoap
05-10-2007, 07:37 AM
I'd also look at the tyres, I'd try minispikes or spikes front and rear or combinations; but one setup at a time to save confusion.

Rob H
05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Will do that looking at Losi 7369 X-2000 pin type for the hard surface and the 2.0 step pin for soft.

However, I have noted that the DF-03 wheels are of a slightly larger diameter (maybe 1.0 - 2.0mm) and width (25mm front - 35mm rear) than the DF-02 type. Would they also be larger than all the after market replacement wheels?

Presumably after market tyres are also optimised for the smaller wheels? I tried a pair of "rear" Schumacher spikes and they were a little over size on the front and were undersized (stretched wide) when put on the rear. Both front and rear were very tight fit due to the slight increase in diameter.

scotoap
07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
If they are a tight fit, it might save you gluing them, though schumaker stretch quite a bit under power depending on what grade your using.
On carpet and polished wood we use yellows and we have to glue them or they balloon of the rims.
Perhaps someone else has a solution if your worried about them being tight.
cheers, hope I've helped