PDA

View Full Version : Problem reformatting emachines laptop (advice needed)

Hoggy
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi,All

I just bought an emachines e625 laptop and i,m trying to reformat using windows 7 ultimate but for some reason it seems to be taking forever,I have reformatted pcs before and usually it doesnt take that long usually about 30 mins,As anybody come across this problem before or as any idea what could be causing it,

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Specs of the laptop are 1,6ghz processor,1gb of ram,and 80gb hard drive

Original o/s was vista basic

Ta

Big G
10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
is that the format from within the CD installer? I usually find if you use the quick option it takes like 2 mins

dave-p
10-11-2010, 01:40 PM
have you checked if it is repairing bad sectors on the hard drive. some times it takes ages, i have given up on one or two in the past and fitted new units.

Hoggy
10-11-2010, 01:56 PM
have you checked if it is repairing bad sectors on the hard drive. some times it takes ages, i have given up on one or two in the past and fitted new units.

I am sort of thinking its probably a dodgy hard drive,is there any way to check to see if its repairing bad sectors.I sort of think the way its performing it would take about 5 to 6 hours to complete the instalation of windows.

Regards

Hoggy
10-11-2010, 02:00 PM
is that the format from within the CD installer? I usually find if you use the quick option it takes like 2 mins

The format is within the windows installer,

Regards

Big G
10-11-2010, 02:13 PM
you could pop the drive into another machine and sector check it with a nice GUI

Hoggy
10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
you could pop the drive into another machine and sector check it with a nice GUI

Yeah good idea the only problem is i,ve one machine,Its not just the formatting part of the windows 7 disc thats taking ages its the whole disc.

Hoggy
10-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi, Guys

Problem now sorted, just fitted new hard drive and the laptop is running as sweet as a nut,

Special thanks to BIG G and DAVE P for their help

Regards