PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone RCMCC Winter Series

chuckie stella
12-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Silverstone RCMCC are proud to present their off road winter series sponsored by Kyosho at the UK's premier rc facility 'Moto Arena'

Please visit www.moto-arena.co.uk (http://www.moto-arena.co.uk) for directions and postcode

These events will be held on Saturdays so it doesn't clash with any current Winter meetings you may have booked.

Dates:
Round 1 Saturday 4th December 2010
Round 2 Saturday 8th January 2011
Round 3 Saturday 12th February 2011
Round 4 Saturday 12th March 2011
Round 5 Saturday 2nd April 2011

Entry fee:
Pre booked - 10 per class - 18 for 2 classes
Non-pre booked - 12 per class - 22 for 2 classes

Tyres:
There will be NO controlled tyre for these events, however, the use of foams will be prohibited

Times:
Doors open - 07.00
Booking in - 7.00-09.00
Practice (in heat order) - 08.00
Drivers briefing - 9.15
Racing commences - 9.30 sharp
120 Driver Limit

Classes:
2wd
4wd

Format:
4 rounds, 1 final for all

Track:
MULTI SURFACE!!!

Great food will be available from 07.30
All Moto Arena facilities will be available during the day

All Silverstone RCMCC Commitee Members will be attending/racing at all rounds and will be on hand for any support/advice that anyone requires.

To pre-book go to www.silverstonercmcc.co.uk (http://www.silverstonercmcc.co.uk) this service will available from Monday 15th at 9.00am

Some track testing (not layout!) will be taking place on the Moto Arena club night held every Tuesday evening from 18.00 so get yourself down there if you fancy a leg up

Hope to see you there!!

Silverstone RCMCC

mk2kompressor
12-11-2010, 09:13 PM
cant wait for this:woot:

dbizzle5
12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Good call for the Saturdays! Ill be there.:woot:

Smartalec
13-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Saturday's no good for me i'm afraid, i'll have to give it a miss :cry:

mattybucks
13-11-2010, 09:19 AM
You say multi surface, is there a recommended tyre?

RogerM
13-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Was getting all excited ... then reread it, can't do saturdays :'(

chuckie stella
13-11-2010, 02:19 PM
You say multi surface, is there a recommended tyre?

I'm thinking mini pins will be the way forward!

spenner
13-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Defo mini pins will be the one's...

Listen to Mark Owen as he has inside info on the track!!!

chuckie stella
13-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Was getting all excited ... then reread it, can't do saturdays :'(

Sorry Roger, Alec and possible others. With the short notice of this winter series Silverstone and MA agreed to go with the Saturday idea to not risk the possibility of taking drivers from other series and vice versa.

chuckie stella
13-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Defo mini pins will be the one's...

Listen to Mark Owen as he has inside info on the track!!!

I take it you still want a lift tomorrow Bigboy!!!!!

MATT Owen

spenner
13-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I take it you still want a lift tomorrow Bigboy!!!!!

MATT Owen

Sorry mate.... didn't want to confuse everyone, so decided it was best to stick with what you are known as on here!!

See you in morning....

RogerM
13-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Sorry Roger, Alec and possible others. With the short notice of this winter series Silverstone and MA agreed to go with the Saturday idea to not risk the possibility of taking drivers from other series and vice versa.

Good luck with the series, might even try and sneak down for one if at all possible, it'll cost me over 200 before I even walk through the door of the palce though :cry:

chuckie stella
13-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Good luck with the series, might even try and sneak down for one if at all possible, it'll cost me over 200 before I even walk through the door of the palce though :cry:

Ouch!!! Wouldn't want that mate, but would be good to have you with us!

budgio
13-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Nice to see Silverstone RCMCC & Moto Arena working together on this.:)
Looking forward to it :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
13-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Tempted to head up for this :)

chuckie stella
13-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Tempted to head up for this :)

Please do mate, the more the merrier! :)

chuckie stella
13-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Saturday's no good for me i'm afraid, i'll have to give it a miss :cry:

Alec, surely a man of your skills will be able to sort something out!! After all you have many years of experience :p

Smartalec
13-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Alec, surely a man of your skills will be able to sort something out!! After all you have many years of experience :p
I normally work Saturdays Matt but it might be possible on the odd one.

On the tyre front, it says no restrictions (apart from the foams) could I suggest you re-word it "any off-road tyres" ........... reason being it would be easy for someone to turn up with on road rubber tyres which would probably be even better than foams ......... just a thought :)

One other thing, you must have an idea how much carpet is going to be used as you recommend the pins. Will there be much tarmac uncovered? :)

PaulUpton
14-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Providing we get a minimum of 5, we will also be running short course trucks at the wintrer series

chuckie stella
14-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I normally work Saturdays Matt but it might be possible on the odd one.

On the tyre front, it says no restrictions (apart from the foams) could I suggest you re-word it "any off-road tyres" ........... reason being it would be easy for someone to turn up with on road rubber tyres which would probably be even better than foams ......... just a thought :)

One other thing, you must have an idea how much carpet is going to be used as you recommend the pins. Will there be much tarmac uncovered? :)

It'll be good for all if you are able to change things at work a bit, mate.

Good shout about the tyres, I will get someone who's more computer literate than myself to change ASAP!

The MA track is apporximatly 945 m2 and the carpet we are going to have is 560 m2. We will have wood/vinyl, slippy sections also, however, most of the tarmac will be on the straight excluding the entrance and exit obviously to reduce tyre wear for all.

PaulUpton
14-11-2010, 07:36 PM
For those super keen racers amongst you.......booking in is now live.

www.silverstonercmcc.co.uk and go to bookin

Smartalec
15-11-2010, 06:08 AM
It'll be good for all if you are able to change things at work a bit, mate.

Good shout about the tyres, I will get someone who's more computer literate than myself to change ASAP!

The MA track is apporximatly 945 m2 and the carpet we are going to have is 560 m2. We will have wood/vinyl, slippy sections also, however, most of the tarmac will be on the straight excluding the entrance and exit obviously to reduce tyre wear for all.
Pins it is then :)

Adam F
15-11-2010, 07:56 AM
told ya..

mattybucks
15-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Bad Times

The unique thing with the motor arena is the fact the the surface is tarmac. You can cover anything in carpet :thumbdown::thumbdown:

chuckie stella
15-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Bad Times

The unique thing with the motor arena is the fact the the surface is tarmac. You can cover anything in carpet :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Hi Matt,
I'll be happy to listen to your thoughts tomorrow night mate. The general opinion I've received is that tyres are expensive and tarmac KILLS them! Also tarmac can be rough on undertrays and shells when you crash/roll which I for one tend to do a lot. I'm looking forward to racing on tarmac tomorrow though so I can find out for myself.
Cheers, Matt

mattybucks
15-11-2010, 12:03 PM
mistake

mattybucks
15-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I raced last week and used an old set of minispikes, which to be honest had I not gone to the moto arena would have been acetoned and thrown away. Not any additional cost, but if I have to run mini pins then i'll have a new set, or two every time I attend.

Regarding damage to shells and undertray. My car can be seen carwheelng off the track at 1.00 in the 4wd final video from last week. Not a mark on it. I also went tumbling down the straight after hitting a truck (also on one of the video's, thanks Paul for turning me back over). Again not a mark.

Running on the tarmac brings the fun factor back into the racing. Every indoor meeting is on carpet, you have the chance to be different.........

chuckie stella
15-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi Matt,

Please understand that the following comments are my opinion only and I may be wrong.

Personally I don't think that tarmac is the way forward because a lot of the disused car parks across many towns would be ideal for new off road clubs instead of the huge expense and hard, back breaking work clubs go to to set up purpose built 'OFF ROAD' tracks and leave the tarmac racing to 'ON ROAD'.

I believe MA have involved Silverstone RCMCC to bring our Off Road racing experience to their facility as I think it's clear when I've visited MA that their speciality is On Road.

I am all for having fun when racing after all many of us (including me) are not quick enough to take it too seriously, however, I think racers want any major event to be held to the best of the clubs ability including making it competetive with grip and a drivable track.

If I'm wrong then I will accept that and take on the general opinion of drivers that attend on the 4th of December then make necessary changes to the following event as we have always tried to with our ever changing (hopfully for the better) outdoor track. For now Silverstone RCMCC will stick with what it knows and hope for the best.

I thank you for your thoughts.

Regards,

Matt

spenner
15-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Back to thread

mattybucks
15-11-2010, 11:14 PM
If i wanted to race on boring flat Tarmac i would either buy a Snoring car or walk out my door and rag up and down the road!!!

Where is the fun in that ????

Anyhow.... this thread wasn't made for remarks from people who clearly don't attend BIG meetings so lets get back to what it was made for and that is promoting the Silverstone RCMCC Kyosho supported winter series @ Moto Arena.

Jon,

I didn't want to spell it out to you, but carpet on top of the moto-arena track will still be flat. I've never had a touring car so I know idea if there boring or not, that of course is you opinion and you entitled to it, as I am to mine.

Runing you car up and down the road? Do you run you car round your living room because it's got carpet? I believe that carpet has been used in the past when the surface underneath was not suitabe. I thought that the track the motor arena had last week with with some more ramps and features will be an exellent track.

As for if it's fun or not, well I had fun last week, as did many of the other people who managed to stay for more than the 5 minutes you were there. I must say I was dissapointed that you couldn't stay the whole night, as i'm sure were many other people.

In regard to your comments regarding "remarks from people who don't attend BIG meetings" I think this comming from someone who is closley linked to Silverstone RCMCC is offensive. Your basicly saying "if you don't attend big meetings then you can't have a say".

Just for clarification I have attended meetings up to national level so i'm very sorry there are not big enough for you, and correct me if i'm wrong but I didn't see you name at the Euro's this year. Maybe you could bring your 1992 Belgum GP Juniors Truck winners trophy with you this week to prove that you go to BIG Meetings.

Maybe if you were at the euro's you could of had a chat with Lee Martin, you might know him, as I think he's got a Tarmac track is his back garden.............................did'nt you race there at that meeting?

Anyway I hope your saturday meetings go well, I won't be attending as it's cleary to BIG a meeting for me, and I'll be spending the days with my childeren.

spenner
15-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Back to thread

spenner
15-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Back to thread

Smartalec
16-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Yes you could go there and burn out your tyres, but would myself, Lee Martins etc turn up to be beat by someone that has got hold of some foams ??? NO... So it doesn't keep the cost down, it actually put's it up. And will mean no one turns up.

Seeing as I was the only person at the Moto Arena last Tuesday "trying" buggy sized foams I just want to clarify that I was there to see what would work best on tarmac. This one-off set of tyres were not put on to blitz the competition or make me look better than I really am, I know i'm lower than a snakes belly button, they were used simply because I've had them for nearly 3 years so it made sense to rinse them instead of a new set of tyres.

Personally, as i've said earlier, I don't think they are the way to go and i'm sure once the Moto Arena have added more carpet/jumps etc they won't work anyhow.

Tuesday or any week night for me is all about fun and to be honest I couldn't give a monkeys about winning, for me it's all about trying new stuff to get the car right for the serious stuff that happens at the weekend. I'm hoping that a few of the "National Stars" will arrive tonight and have some fun themselves. I'm pretty sure that if a real superstar like Lee turned up he wouldn't care what anyone else runs, he'd still beat them :lol: It would only be the ones who "think" they are better than they really are would moan about it.

So once again, sorry if trying the foams offended anyone i'll not be running them tonight so hopefully the racing will be a little closer.

Anyway, this thread is about Saturdays and foams are banned for the winter series so sorry for the hijacking :D

spenner
16-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Back to thread

Smartalec
16-11-2010, 10:47 AM
If people wanted to race on Tarmac as is suggested then they should have told Matt ( moto arena) and they could have run the winter series.
What was suggested to Matt for Tuesdays was that the jumps should be covered in carpet and most of the corners left as tarmac so you have a good technical track but one that is easy on the tyres. By easy I mean that you could run all your old used stuff that you were going to bin. If you cover all the jumps basically you don't need the grip that you'd normally need on a carpet track because you are going straight at and over the jump. With good quality landing ramps (long) the cars will stay safe from damage caused by landing on the tarmac. As you know John from racing at places such as EPR, Kidderminster etc, tyre wear is greatest when they include the tarmac/concrete sections and you can't get away with worn tyres for long because of the grip needed on the other sections so if there is too much carpet on the corners at Moto Arena and we have to use a lot of new tyres on a Tuesday I think it will scare off a lot of average drivers because of the cost.

Sure, the tarmac is not the best thing we could run on but with enough jumps it should still be entertaining and "off road" enough to make for some good close racing. I'm sure that the Saturday Winter Series meetings will be excellent, especially when you're using the DMS carpet to cover it (if that info is correct).

I've been told that the Silverstone Model Car Club Massive will be laying the track for tonight so hopefully, with all their experience it should be much better than last week and maybe we'll get a few superstars turn up to up the pace a bit too :D

chuckie stella
16-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I actually agree with 'almost' everything you have said, Alec. Unfortunatly I have no idea about being asked to lay the track although I have asked a few SRCMCC members to arrive as early as possible, however, I may be running late due to a small problem at home.

Matt

Smartalec
16-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I actually agree with 'almost' everything you have said, Alec. Unfortunatly I have no idea about being asked to lay the track although I have asked a few SRCMCC members to arrive as early as possible, however, I may be running late due to a small problem at home.

Matt
No problem Matt, maybe duff info about the track laying !!!!!
See you tonight :)

lewis
16-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I know i'm lower than a snakes belly button.................................... Alec you do like bigging yourself up:p

Swiss
16-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Personally I not sure why any would consider tarmac for off road buggies. I think carpet and wooden sections all the way!

PaulUpton
16-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Personally I not sure why any would consider tarmac for off road buggies. I think carpet and wooden sections all the way!

Agreed :lol:

spenner
16-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Back to thread

Smartalec
17-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Paul, I agree totally with what you are saying and in the ideal world the Moto Arena would have enough carpet and wood to cover the place, but it's HUGE.

But saying that, it does make a change from racing on astro and carpet and is most certainly a lot of fun. Last night I used a set of yellow minispikes that were ready for acetone, so no cost there. If I race at Taplow on a Friday night i'll definitely go through a pair of new rear minipins or maybe two so the cost of racing on carpet on CLUB nights is a lot more.

The biggest problem with racing on the tarmac is landing off jumps, it cacks the car up. If they can get that right and every jump has a wooden or carpet landing then there's absolutely nothing wrong with the surface underneath.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the Moto Arena is making the best of what they've got, they are learning and last night was a marked improvement on the one before so all fingers crossed, next week should be even better. :thumbsup:

Smartalec
17-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Well I raced, had fun.... But sorry to say, no chance many people would attend winter series on tarmac. Unless the controlled tyre was foams, which then makes it pretty boring.
Now I need to race another 4 outdoor meetings to wear out some tyres for a Tuesday night!!

Good fun though, but not sure about it keeping cost down ???
I know you had fun, I saw you smile.

It's lucky you have the use of DMS carpet for your Winter Series to keep the entries up then eh? :D

I used a set of yellow minispikes that were ready for acetone last night, so the cost of tyres was zero, it doesn't get cheaper than that !!!!!!

spenner
17-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Back to thread

Neil Skull
17-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Foams are cheap and easy to recycle the rims.

its just the aggro of having to true them!!!

Maybe you should leave tire choice open for now and see what the overall opinion is from the racers.

Most clubs keep a tire truer if they run foams!!!

Darren Boyle
17-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Why not run the Proline Dirt Hawgs there?? They would grip well on the tarmac, give loads of use due to low wear, dont need truing and one set would last you weeks........