PDA

View Full Version : newbie says hello

RC944
17-11-2010, 02:21 PM
having regressed a but ive just bought an rc10 b3 from flea bay and its sitting at home for me as i type

cant wait to get stuck in and to draw upon and contribute to this huge community

the car comes ready to run but i need a lipo pack and charger - any thoughts?!

just casual use for me so no intentions to get too serious but would like to start thinking about upgrades etc....

first on the list will be new electrics... not sure about brushless yet as the outlay is a tad high but would certainly like to get quality servo and esc

peetbee
17-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Welcome!

RC944
17-11-2010, 02:54 PM
cheers would you also happen to be on the pistonheads forum as you replied to me there too!

Hitman
17-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I would think a lot of us are on both. Welcome btw!

peetbee
17-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I am indeed :)

blue_pinky
17-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi, don't give it a second thought...go brushless and lipo from the start...looks expensive but saves you both time and money in the long run...you'll only end up buying things twice, costing you more if you don't!

Lipo and brushless = long run times, no maintenance, no cell cycling = fit and forget fun!
NiMH's and brushes = short run times, maintenance hastle, battery cycling = no fun!

Enjoy :thumbsup:

RC944
17-11-2010, 04:50 PM
is there a chance that by getting all brushless that the bits are better than the car?

what would a decent brushless esc and motor combo set me back?

Jnunu1
17-11-2010, 08:46 PM
about £55 for a 35amp 9T combo from ebay - good qual and vfm - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ezrun-9T-Brushless-3in1-Combo-Motor-35A-V2-ESC-RC-car-/190460663987?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c585718b3

for example.

ps - welcome!:thumbsup:

peetbee
17-11-2010, 08:58 PM
The car will cope with pretty much any brushless you throw at it and you'll always have the esc and motor to move into any other car you get in the future.

You don't have to spend a fortune, to get all the gear you are after, just look through the sales section on here!
Although it's always easy to get carried away...... :D

mattJT
17-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm running that same set up in both my b4 and b4.1, and it be considerably better than the brushed versions and NimHs I had before :thumbsup:

Bought the 2nd combo from HK too, and if your happy to wait two weeks for it to come, then their an absolute bargain. Have had no probs with either combos, highly recommend - as already said above, if you don't get it now, you'll just end up geting it in a few weeks/months and end up having spent aload of money on NimHs etc when you didn't need to.

You could easily for around £6o'ish get that set up and a lipo from HK. Heard some bad things about HK lipos, I got a Winforce 5000mah 2cell for £17 from HK, and I've had no probs with it :)

RC944
18-11-2010, 08:33 AM
would it be bad to say go for a lipo battery and run it with a brushed set up - that way i get the run time / weight benefit of the battery but only the additional maintenance hassle related to the brushed motor. functionality and performance differences between the brushed or brushless motor wont be that discernible right?

/tobys
18-11-2010, 08:41 AM
As a recent returnee (just finished 1st season back after a 12yr layoff), I would echo the other comments and say "get lipo/brushless from the outset).

I ran Lipo with my old brushed gear (LRP v6 ESC and Trinity D3.5) and it worked, but cooked the brushes after just a few runs. I then moved over to Brushless and the difference is night and day. Virtually Zero maintenance, as much speed as you can handle and longer run times.

You don't need to spend a fortune; the for Sale section on here, ebay and UK model shops are all your friends! Just make sure you get yourself a balance charger (not even sure you can easily get non-balance anymore?).

RC944
18-11-2010, 10:17 AM
i knew this regression would cost me...

brushless it is then!

can anyone suggest a tame setup for a newbie...

i need to have an esc that can reverse and am inclined towards the branded stuff only insofar as i can chop it in later or put it in a newer car later on

im holding out for a futaba 3gr ss radio system so now im looking for a motor esc combo

lipo and chargers are work in progress although ebay is my friend!

mattJT
18-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd still say the ezrun set up above, comes with a programming card making the esc fully programmable,enabling you to chose exactly the right set up for the track :)

I'd highly recommend one of these too, as long as it fits the b3 tho??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RPM-80042-Wide-Front-Bumper-BK-Assoc-GT2-B4-/380284835424?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item588abe1660

peetbee
18-11-2010, 03:33 PM
You might be able to make the bumper fit, but I doubt it'd ever fit properly!

mattJT
18-11-2010, 04:06 PM
shame :cry: certainly save a few pence on the old head ons with a piece of concrete :thumbsup:etc

RC944
19-11-2010, 09:05 AM
its already got one of the longer rpm jobbies but i doubt it will stop me from busting a few wishbones!

peetbee
19-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Well, if you do then you can use the Thunder Tiger Phoenix BX parts if you can't get the Associated ones!