PDA

View Full Version : SPAM Email, any computer whizkids ?

Rich D
18-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Getting a bit fed up of 50 + emails a day coming to my iPhone that are spam. Its constantly pinging in my pocket, rang my ISP that the account on my phone is associated to. They say theres not much they can do about it as i have already set a medium level filter on my account. My Thunderbird SPAM filter deals with the emails on my home pc but as im at work and wish to receive emails on my phone too this spam is a real pain. My phone is set to not delete the emails from the server as i wish to get them at home. The iphone does not have a trainable spam filter.

Anyway, im not bad with computers so did a little research and found that they guy who recently registered a few of the domains im emailed from is from Florida.

http://whois.domaintools.com/febrisshally.com

Anyone got any idea how we can piss him off in the same way he is doing to me, or better still how to block his emails ?

sldmodels
18-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Can you get your home pc to pick out the iphone spam emails, so at least you can check them when you're at home, leaving the regular emails for your iphone?

mikeyscott
18-11-2010, 02:42 PM
What's the domain, is it a hotmail account or a hosted solution elsewhere?

Have you looked at the message header to determine the ACTUAL source?

Got message labs on my email and don't get any spam :)

If it's a non hotmail account etc. have a look at Google's Postini service?

Rich D
18-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Cheers for the replies, the way it works, my iPhone checks for new email every 30 minutes or so. As there's no spam filter on the phone it gets every email that's sent to my email address ( forename.surname@zen.co.uk ) I need the emails on my home pc for storage so I have my phone set so that it doesn't remove the email from the server at my ISP. The sources for the vast majority of these emails are all domains registered by that guy in the link I posted. If you look he has over 1000 domains registered to him. My home pc filters the crap as I tell it which are junk and which aren't. That isn't the problem. Only very few junk emails get through as more spammers send more junk from new domains they register. I'll email h and see if he'll remove my address from his list? I have the guys address, perhaps I'll post him a box of dog shit with a bow around it for Xmas if he doesn't.

stegger
18-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I've been getting hotmail spam from my wife's account which was doing my nut in :eh?: Changed the wife's password on her email account and it stopped :thumbsup::thumbsup:

simoncrabb
18-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Gmail.

That's the answer to my spam problems. I get thousands (yes, really) of spam emails a day, and they don't bother me cos Gmail filters them nicely.

I don't use any other email system these days.

Rich D
18-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Gmail.

That's the answer to my spam problems. I get thousands (yes, really) of spam emails a day, and they don't bother me cos Gmail filters them nicely.

I don't use any other email system these days.

Cheers Simon, sounds like a plan. I dont use hotmail because of its bad reputation for security, i wasnt so sure whether gmail was the same but if its good enough for you then it will be good enough for what i want to do.

Cheers all for the replies

maky
18-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Same I get 1000s spam a day on googlemail but I never see any of it .

bodgit
18-11-2010, 06:31 PM
gmail works for me too.:thumbsup:

reg
18-11-2010, 07:05 PM
i kept getting spam but it also sent them to people in my contacts,my dad wasnt very happy as they were for penis enlargment:thumbsup:
i changed my password and it all stopped

MatJohnson
19-11-2010, 08:52 AM
If its spam from known sources unsubscribe from them and it will go down slowly. I've also complained to the ICO about some companies with great success.

If its normal spam, then doesn't your ISP have a webmail to set rules to punt the stuff to a different folder? or just up the antispam setting on it.

Rich D
19-11-2010, 10:25 AM
If its spam from known sources unsubscribe from them and it will go down slowly. I've also complained to the ICO about some companies with great success.

If its normal spam, then doesn't your ISP have a webmail to set rules to punt the stuff to a different folder? or just up the antispam setting on it.

Cheers for the reply. My antispam setting is on medium but they told me if I up it to high there's a danger that I might not get genuine emails. As for the sources, I can see the domains where these are coming from, the first 6 I looked up all came back to domains registered by that guy. How do I unsubscribe ? I once got told that if I open spam emails or reply to them then it confirms with the sender that the address is active and can make things worse. I'm not a computer pro, just dabbled for as long as they have been around so I'm unsure whether that's accurate
info. As for my ISP they have been pretty helpful. I have a portal that I can use to set up a junk folder at source but I haven't studied how to do that yet. Just don't want to miss important emails by setting it up wrong. I asked them if they had rules that they were able to set on my account to block emails with certain words within them from getting sent to me but apparently not. I'm getting bombarded with credit reports, hip replacement offers, loans, travel reservations and psychic predictions lol. Fkn annoying every 30 minutes !

sldmodels
19-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Don't ever reply to the emails though, don't even follow the links to unsubscribe yourself, as that just confirms theres a human to receive the email. I am so sick of viargra emails, lovefilm emails, and the usual nigerian bank family killed emails - they're not even good english - they just don't bother making the effort!

Rich D
19-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Had 80 to my phone at work just today. Done some research and gonna use gmail to filter messages for my zen account. Didn't know you could do it !

bish
19-11-2010, 11:10 PM
you can set up your mail rules on your iphone to ignore/junk whatever you make the rules for. mail is easy to configure for hot/gmail etc.