PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Elite vs PS3

Chrislong
11-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I have flogged some gear on Ebay and raised the cash for an Xbox 360 Elite, I have actually raised more and could afford a PS3 instead.

Just been to Currys and none in stock, and rumoured to have none planned to arrive and none in any other Curry's branch. The guy behind the counter said they are already hard to find, but should by a PS3 anyway as they're better.

With the PS3 id wait for gran Turismo 5 and get it at first opportunity. Id buy Motorstorm and F1-GP straight away

With the X360 id buy Halo3, Forza2 sraight away and PGR4 if out by then.

Then the shared titles worth a look, Rainbow 6, GTA4, dirt,

Each one has a disadvantage for me, as the PS3 is wireless internet ready which i need, the Xbox is wired or add-on wireless which I dislike (expense). Then the PS3 has the thing where a game played on one console can't be played on another - or something like that, something I was talking with carl about.

Whats the verdict? anyone got both?

Chris

danDanEFC
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I had both and i have sold the ps3 as i didnt play it as much as the 360.

if you looking to play online most of the time the 360 is streets ahead of the ps3.

The ps3 is wispher quiet and sometimes the 360 fan noise is a bit loud

F1 games will only be on the ps3 and motorstorm is brilliant to look at if a bit dull

Forza2 is great online and pgr4 will look just as good if a bit more arcadey

Halo3 is the greatest game ever :-)

The games are not locked to a console on the ps3

ps3 is wireless out the box and the 360 needs an adapter that costs another £40ish

any other questions just ask

It depends on what your mates have

Chrislong
11-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Cheers Dan
LOL, im distracted from Days of Thunder to reply, this must be a good thread ;)

Ok, the Elite comes with wireless controllers and I believe the fan is quieter than the original white Xbox. The fan on my old PS2 sucks, its so noisey.

The F1 and motorstorm games for the PS3 don't really excite me, they're just two id choose now while I await for titles to arrive. Whereas, like you say, Xbox360 has numerous ace games now which id actually want now....

Im pretty sure its the Xbox Elite I will choose over the PS3, maybe I'll splash out on the wireless and gold membership too.

Anyone know where has them in stock? :confused:

GRIFF55
11-10-2007, 08:27 PM
www.play.com (http://www.play.com) are showing stock of x box elite

Chrislong
11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Cheers Andy,
Just been on and ordered the goodies.... Xbox Elite, Forza 2 Limited Edition and Halo3 Limited Edition.

:D :D :D

Next week will be Christmas at my house.....

MikePimlott
11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Brother in law got his Elite from Game in Bolton Chris. They had them in and he got a good deal on Extra controller (white unfortunatly) and forza 2.

my 360 is loud but i have the extra cooler cause it seemed to get sooooo hot.

Its missing a F1 game. But forza 2, Dirt, Juiced 2, PGR4. good times.

grindog
11-10-2007, 08:54 PM
does it cost extra to play online with the xbox where as the ps3 is free?

MikePimlott
11-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Yes. you have to pay about £35 for a GOLD 12 month subscription to play online.

there is a silver membership but i dont know if thats cheaper.

Chrislong
11-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeh it does, shame can't pay for that monthly rather than the £40 for 13 months (Halo card). You all know what its like, the first few weeks of a new game and loads of hours are put into playing it - and then after that the novelty goes and little time on it.

I think I'll play offline to start and see if it takes my fancy. I have been playing Test drive unlimited on my PSP online, and there are few races, everyone just wants to drag race me or ram me off the road.... fun for the first 10minutes. Then with Fifa2007, was just taking turns to score with whoever was playing against as attacking is far easier than defending.

Chris

danDanEFC
11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
you get a free months live with the console so you dont need to pay for live straight away

you can pay for live every 3 months by dd or buy 3 month cards

if your over 21 check out www.fragraceandgame.co.uk (http://www.fragraceandgame.co.uk) for a place to meet old 360 gamers who dont shout and scream and play nice

my xbox live tag is danDanEFC

I am going on a bit here but I am new to racing cars so i just normally listen on this site to all the good info thats posted

nice to help someone

budgio
11-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I have both and to be honest they both have their pro,s and cons

For online gaming their really isnt any contest ...360 wins
For single player gaming i,d also go with the 360 as to the amount of games available at present
However the ps3 it starting to come together in both price(299 for 40 gb version and 349 for 60gb with backwards compatability)and games as they have bucket loads coming this side of xmas.
A hdtv with is a must for either of the consoles if you want the best possible experience.A ps3 is a waste if you are using a bog standard telly.
Resistance :Fall of man is a superb game for the ps3 btw

Feel free to add me "budge1972" on both

btw loads of 360 elites at blockbusters;) last time i looked

Northy
11-10-2007, 09:29 PM
You should all take up w**king, it's much cheaper :D:D:D

G

GRIFF55
11-10-2007, 09:35 PM
But running is better for you:D

MikePimlott
11-10-2007, 09:39 PM

G

is that wireless :wtf:

losixxx
11-10-2007, 09:54 PM
chris i just want to know why currys and not comet;):D

rcracer
11-10-2007, 10:02 PM

G

its called playing with your twanger :D

Spencer Mulcahy
11-10-2007, 10:10 PM

G

Teee heeee heeee.:D

Richard Lowe
11-10-2007, 10:48 PM
I hope you got some kind of extra warrenty on that 360 Schlong, it will melt into a puddle of solder in about 6 months time ;)

MikePimlott
11-10-2007, 10:53 PM
the dreaded "red light syndrome" :D

Richard Lowe
11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Yep, red ring of death!

Southwell
12-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Go to hotukdeals.com and search for the 12 month live subscriptions, ive seen them for about £17 ;)

Edit: Can't find it now, but ebay is pretty cheap.

Chrislong
12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
The Elite should have resolved the burning ring of fire syndrome.... I hope.

Lee Martin
12-10-2007, 09:11 AM
360 all the way....i have both.....

dad has both

the PS3 SUCKS!!!!

hard!

controller rubbish, graphics rubbish, games rubbish, online rubbish...

BUT

it does look nice!

but not a touch on the 360....

Xbox are really go too....if it breaks, phone up. moan....they give u a new one.......

tonys had about 7 lol

vader
12-10-2007, 09:30 AM
A bit off topic but I've just found a Wii cooler in Maplin. It comes with a Wii moat too!.

I didn't know Wii got that hot, although I've seen steam coming off mine in cold weather!

telboy
12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
My bro has now got through 9 xbox's!! so I'm not to sure about the reliability of them.

So I think I'm gonna be PS faithful and go with the PS3, mainly for GranTurismo.

Although on my old xbox you can't beat online PGR. Excellent stuff.

But then, it all comes down to dosh.

Southwell
12-10-2007, 10:15 AM
My xbox was fine for the year i had it, sounded like a hoover though. I think a lot of the problems people have with them are when they havn't got good enough ventilation

RLGfx
12-10-2007, 11:01 AM
360 all the way...

PGR4, Forza 2, Halo 3, need I say more?

Nick Goodall
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Nobody's mentioned Sega Rally yet either - only had a quick go on Lee's but it's awesome!!

Southwell
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I thought it was rubbish personally.

Richard Lowe
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
The Elite should have resolved the burning ring of fire syndrome.... I hope.
Thats the Halo edition you want really, got the newer chipset in that doesn't get as hot.

I'm holding off getting a PS3 until GT5, the only reason to play games on it really as there's nothing else worth playing :p

Shooters and stuff are much better on the PC anyway, stupid gamepads + autoaim ;)

GRIFF55
12-10-2007, 07:12 PM
This may sound daft, but can either be used to record off t.v instead of a dvd player/recorder??

budgio
12-10-2007, 09:03 PM
The ps3 will be able to soon as its getting a freeview/pvr addon called playtv.
Rumour has it it can receive future hdtv broadcasts via freeview................ which is nice :)

PaulRotheram
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
PC is where it's at :p

ashleyb4
13-10-2007, 07:24 PM
What a xbox 360 elite and a PS3??????????

ive got a super nintendo :cool::cool: the muts nuts

A

Tom3012
14-10-2007, 12:38 AM
ive got a PS3, and played the 360...... here's my opinion....

i am biased as ive been a sony console man/boy throughout! so PS3 all the way!

i have never liked xbox, mainly because i dont like microsoft! i didnt think the first xbox graphics where all that special compared to the PS2.

i have played on an xbox 360 in HD and it was awesome, but i have played on my PS3 with a normal tv, and i thought the graphics where better on my normal tv (playing fifa 08)

the PS3 is silent, when it starts you hear the fan for like 5 seconds, then never again.

im guessing you have already bought an xbox 360 so there isnt too much point in all the biased opinion i put in:p, but the games coming out on PS3 just look mind boggling!!!!!

my sister won my PS3 in a competition, but if i was paying for a console out of my own pocket, having played both, i would of forked out the extra money for a PS3

:D

RogerM
14-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I have the 3 new gen consoles and still have a PS2 hooked up as well.

My 360 died, 3 times and with the exception of Forza 2 I've not found a game that holds my attention for more than 2 minutes. It's currently under about a cm of dust as it's been so long since I've played it.

PS3 is an awesome machine but for racig games you really need a wheel as tilting the controller isn't as precise as you'd like. For everything else though the controller is still the best controller .... the shape is still perfect after all these years. Use the BluRay player a fair bit and that is worth the price of the console on it's own!!!

Wii ..... brilliant fun ... nothing more to add other than I play the Wii more than any of the other 3rd gen consoles.

But .... for game play reasons ... the PS2 is my choice ..... although DIRT for the PS3 is probably going to change that when I get round to buying it and GT5 too.

I might be biased a bit as I only play racing games and puzzle games and really don't like first person shooters at all which I think is where the 360 shows it's muscle.

markwilliamson2001
14-10-2007, 04:46 PM
As other people have mentioned on here... I will definately be waiting for GT5, since I am an GT Addict, and have been since GT1 on the PS1.

I have never really liked the Xbox, always seemed to be a bit of a step backwards with specs, although the 360 looks less like a george foreman grill than the PS3!!! I have also heard mixed reliability from the Xbox 360, but also problems with the disc tray on the PS3... so swings and roundabouts.

I can see why the original Xbox was reasonably good, especially when chipped, and worked alongside PC as music/video/slideshow console, but the games never really clicked with me...

Still have my PS2, although don't really have the time or inclination to play on it anymore....

M.

Chrislong
14-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Thats the Halo edition you want really, got the newer chipset in that doesn't get as hot.

I'm holding off getting a PS3 until GT5, the only reason to play games on it really as there's nothing else worth playing :p

Shooters and stuff are much better on the PC anyway, stupid gamepads + autoaim ;)

Hey Rich,
I looked into the Halo edition, and its basically a recased white Xbox 360. If it did receive a new chipset, then that is what was also put in the Elite, and the Elite has the quieter fan and 120gb plus a few other goodies extra.

Plus the green is a bit sick, black is where its at... ;)

Richard Lowe
14-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey Rich,
I looked into the Halo edition, and its basically a recased white Xbox 360. If it did receive a new chipset, then that is what was also put in the Elite, and the Elite has the quieter fan and 120gb plus a few other goodies extra.

Plus the green is a bit sick, black is where its at... ;)
I think with the Elite's it's hit or miss if you get the new motherboard, I know if you open it up and the CPU cooler doesn't have a heatpipe like the origonal cooler it's the new one.

Chrislong
14-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I think with the Elite's it's hit or miss if you get the new motherboard, I know if you open it up and the CPU cooler doesn't have a heatpipe like the origonal cooler it's the new one.

Ok, what size hammer do I open it with?

Richard Lowe
14-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Pretty much any will do when used properly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyCAlWmPxaw) :D

MK999
14-10-2007, 08:18 PM

10lb sledge all the way.

edit: also useful for fixing RC's, so keep hold of it.

rcracer
15-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Pretty much any will do when used properly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyCAlWmPxaw) :D

if it was knackerd why didnt he just sell it on ebay like any normal person :D:D:D:D

_JP_
15-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Nobody's mentioned Sega Rally yet either - only had a quick go on Lee's but it's awesome!!

because it sucks!!

But I did just get PGR4 and that rocks, weather and effects are awesome :)

But since playing PRG4 I've been getting red lights, so glad I did not open this console up :D, may have to ring Micro$haft and get a new one!

I would only have a PS3 for GT as that's always been a good game from day1 on PS1.

Southwell
15-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I just bought a Wii to go with my lonely PS3. Can't believe they are going for £270 on ebay!! It did take me a lot of ringing around to find though, only one i could find in Hampshire!

budgio
15-10-2007, 07:20 PM
A GT5 prologue demo is heading to the ps3 on the 20th oct free on the Playstation online store.
Its probably a single player demo but it,ll give us a taste of the power of the ps3.

So in a way its a demo of a demo.

Take the graphical test and pick the game pic from the real pic

http://generationdreamteam.free.fr/Quizz.html

Chrislong
17-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Good call on the X360. I can't peel myself off PGR4, bleedin' awesome! Halo3 arrived today too, but I can't bring myself to turn off PGR4.

GRIFF55
17-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Is it worth the money chris, i have to convince the wife to part with some hard earned!!

andys
17-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I too had the Xbox / PS3 choice to make.
Xbox and Halo3 won the day, thank goodness.

My question is, I bought PGR 3, for a tener and was wondering if it's worth shelling out 40 notes for PGR 4, is it really that much different ?

Chrislong
17-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I haven't played PGR3.

I started the career in PGR4 and with either a Sierre RS500 or an Integrale (other choices, but these are best two) and progress to professional, clocking up some drifts and once unlock the next set of cars, its freekin awesome! Got loads and loads to progress through yet ofcause, im only at the tip of the iceberg.

Someone told me it is arcade like, well I think it is quite well simulated now im playing it. Its just so addictive!

Then you can see the drivers hands steering and changing gear, cockpit view and the dashboard is how it should look, all the dials working. The in photo mode, thats really cool.

Just been playing Halo3 for ages, now then, I think I am bruised. Feels like ive been running around with a gun getting ten shades of mercury blasted out of me.. I need to chill for an hour otherwise im not going to sleep tonight for adrenalin.

And im still awaiting for Forza2 to arrive - anyone played that?

_JP_
18-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Forza 2 is great Chris, I really rate it, more like a racing sim than out and out arcade racer like PGR.

PGR3 was great, but PGR4 has the detail like weather and now bikes, weather affects the game so much, it gets quite hard.

I only have one problem now, since getting pgr4 last friday I am now getting 3 red lights, and tonight the xbox is dead!

MS have extended the warrenty to 3 years to cover this as it a known fault, but means no PGR for me for 15+ days grrrr!!!

if anyone is online my tag is "jp racer069"

b4rs
19-10-2007, 10:47 PM
my mate sent his xbox back with £50 and hes getting an elite, he kept his hard drive form the first and so now hell have 2.

I have a 360 at my dads, its ace and games are ace too, the only game so far to dissapoint me has been sega rally, it seems the sega developers have taken a step back and maybe should stick to theyre own consoles, graphics are bad and cartoony and unrealistic like ridgeracer.

forza 2 is a must have, pgr4 looks mint and cnt wait for gta4. fair enough xboxs are louder but the games are ace and the processors *currently* do more thn ps3's.

ps3 is more powerful with i think 2 more processors, and so it has the potential but game developers cant get full hang of it. so at the moment xbox is winning.
i used to be a 100% sony fan boy owning PS, PS1, PS2, PS2 slimline, PSP, but xbox360 has turned the tables, too many anime games for ps3 and not enough great titles.
i personally have played both, ps3 is nice and sleek, it has a built in bluray player and wireless internet, for me it stops there, it is too much a PC and not a gaming console.

XBOX TAKES THE WIN

Essay over...

_JP_
20-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm back on PGR tonight, had to get an new xbox, cant be waiting for a repair lol
got an elite looks good in black :)

matdodd
20-10-2007, 08:34 AM
You got far to much cash JP :D

b4rs
20-10-2007, 09:45 AM
add me on xbox live xX ARW Xx mostly on at weekends

Chrislong
20-10-2007, 10:13 AM
How far have you got on with Pgr4? Ive made it into the Hotshots ranking, and unlocked quite a few cars in career mode. Just finding it difficult to drift a bike in arcade mode so keep going for silver medals, i'll keep trying.

Halo3 rocks, just killed the Scarab tank thing, there are soooo many vehicles and crafts to ride! Its ace!

I want a more "on earth" shooter. Something like Far Cry, but I hear Far Cry sucks compared to the PC version.

andys
20-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Chris.

I picked up a cheap copy of Far Cry Instincts and it's really good. Just like the PC version so i'm happy as I got it thrown in when I bought the Xbox.

A really good shooter, that requires some thought is BioShock. I got it for the PC and it's very, very good. A bit wierd, but looks amazing. A pal who has it on PC and Xbox says the Xbox version is streets ahead, so that will be next on my list.

JP, is PGR4 really worth me spending another 40 quid, as I already have PGR3 ?

Cheers.

Southwell
20-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmm, im pretty close to buying an elite now, gonna be an expensive month :D

_JP_
20-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Andy, it is better, but is it worth £40 hmmm I'm not sure, but the weather and bikes are nice!

Chris I think I am 25 at the moment in the second season, my fav track is La Haute-Ville 82nd at the moment online with fastest lap of 39.05.

LOL Mat, I had a good week doing repairs on computers :D

RLGfx
20-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi JP,

What car were you in for that time? I'll have a go to see how close i can get!

t0pper harley is my gamertag!

Southwell
20-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Lmao, legend!

RLGfx
20-10-2007, 05:36 PM
it does get some positive comments... my mate is on too, as patchsohoulihan...

_JP_
20-10-2007, 07:46 PM
In the T1, I could go quicker but need to get a few corners just right :)

Hi JP,

What car were you in for that time? I'll have a go to see how close i can get!

_JP_
20-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Just added you Robin, shit you have a lot of games :o:D

budgio
22-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I,ve just managed to download the (japanese) gt5 demo
Its soooooooooo nice:D

pm me if you want the info to do it

RLGfx
23-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Just added you Robin, shit you have a lot of games :o:D

Had a lot of games... they tend to get traded in when I get bored...

Must confess that i spend most of my time (when I actually get on the thing) on Half Life at the moment... but we must have a race on pgr, oh yes.....

_JP_
24-10-2007, 07:24 PM
not played Half Life, got it for the PC as I was going to try counterstrike but hated it, im up for some PGR :)

andys
26-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Can anyone reccomend a good steering wheel / pedal set for the 360 ? I fancy one for PGR, I've not tried one, so would be interested to see what people think about them and reccommend ? Is it lots better than driving with a pad ? Ta.

b4rs
26-10-2007, 01:18 PM
i recomend this one http://xbox.about.com/b/a/257455.htm ive heard soe good reviews, its really good for forza 2. but i dno bout pgr

danDanEFC
26-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Get the offical 360 wheel deffo the best.

Chrislong
05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Whats this about Xbox Live Gamer Zones?

I have 4 choices, 2 of which I am not sure which to choose - Pro or underground?

What are you guys on, and what difference does it make?

Chris

Chrislong
05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
My Gamertag: Csl43

RLGfx
05-11-2007, 02:52 PM

I have 4 choices, 2 of which I am not sure which to choose - Pro or underground?

Chris

absolutely none whatsoever! :D

b4rs
05-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Chris

well actually it does affect who you play with. if your already friends with someone in a diff zone it doesnt matter, you can still join their game, but if you randomly join someone elses game, you will most probably be in the same zone as them. so if you let your kids go on live and chat etc, then you should go for recreation so they can play the same sort of people. whereas pro has many older people on it as they dont piss about in driving games barging etc. so basically it affects who you play with. in short...

lets say you chose recreation.

the chances of me (pro) meeting you (recreation) in an online game would be very minimal, whereas if i was recreation it would be alot higher.

RLGfx
05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
well you learn something new every day....:D

telboy
07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
so is it worth getting a ps3?:rolleyes:

the future looks better for the ps3, but I know MS get on with it when things get heavy and usualy pull out the stops when the time comes.

Plus you lot are on xbox live.;)

Southwell
07-11-2007, 11:23 AM
PS3's are good. Ive spent a fair amount of time playing Colin MCRae and F1 but iam not really a heavy gamer so my consoles get little play compared to most. Fifa is pretty good on it, pro evo was shocking i found, feels too arcady.
Don't forget gran tourismo and GTA next year too! :D
The Wii is great fun, although a large session with a bunch of ppl and alcohol = sore arms for a few days!
When i had an Xbox i only ever really played the small arcade games, i found them more entertaining :D Ive convinced myself i need another one!

_JP_
07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow I did not know that, I'm underground only interested in 1st place lol :)))))

well actually it does affect who you play with. if your already friends with someone in a diff zone it doesnt matter, you can still join their game, but if you randomly join someone elses game, you will most probably be in the same zone as them. so if you let your kids go on live and chat etc, then you should go for recreation so they can play the same sort of people. whereas pro has many older people on it as they dont piss about in driving games barging etc. so basically it affects who you play with. in short...

lets say you chose recreation.

the chances of me (pro) meeting you (recreation) in an online game would be very minimal, whereas if i was recreation it would be alot higher.

telboy
11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
So? Which one?

I did like xbox live when I had the xbox.

Bu i love my Gran turismo. But I'd probably only be getting the PS for that game. Is it realy worth it?

showtime
11-11-2007, 11:59 AM
i must be the site Pikey as i've still only got a Dreamcast :wtf:

purpletimbo
11-11-2007, 02:40 PM
No thats me on various PS1 and an Atari 800XL;)

matdodd
11-11-2007, 05:29 PM
If you like Gran turismo get one! It should be cool :D

Chrislong
11-11-2007, 07:54 PM
So? Which one?

I did like xbox live when I had the xbox.

Bu i love my Gran turismo. But I'd probably only be getting the PS for that game. Is it realy worth it?

Hi Tel, when I was pondering it was really only Gran Turismo which would sway me to the PS3, but I chose the Xbox360 and now I have Forza2, it really blows all expectations to pieces. I can't get off it, I have to force myself away when my eyes dry and turn red.

Chris

_JP_
11-11-2007, 10:03 PM
get on pgr4 Chris :)

Chrislong
12-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Yeh I will do, but the disk tray hasn't been openned since buying Forza2, im hooked.

Online play with PGR4 is soooo damn dirty! First corner is always carnage, lots of effing and jeffing. Forza is so much more clean

RLGfx
12-11-2007, 10:06 AM
get yourself in a race with friends then, it's either a lovely clean first corner, or even dirtier! :D

i need to get on there with you, jp and my mate 'patches'... only problem is that call of duty 4 seems to be stuck in the drive somehow! :rolleyes::p;)

_JP_
12-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeh I will do, but the disk tray hasn't been openned since buying Forza2, im hooked.

Online play with PGR4 is soooo damn dirty! First corner is always carnage, lots of effing and jeffing. Forza is so much more clean

Yes its a big pain, lots of dirty racers.

Had a good race last night, managed to get a good first corner and was second behind this US guy, I tried to sneak round him on the last corner and I hit him, I pulled over and let him have the win, we were talking and he was shocked, but I would rather have a clean win than a dirty one.
Some shunts are unavoidable but lots are just people who cant drive for shit!

Yea Robin I noticed your on COD4 :) I got quite a few guys that I race with now, playing it far to much! lol

telboy
13-11-2007, 09:11 PM
you see.... I'm a Huge fan of the xbox live, I had it with the original xbox and couldn't get off it. i was on every night, got lots of 'friends' on there and we always got in the same game 'room' and played games together because we trusted each other not to play dirty, and we had a great laugh. Not just racing games either, i ofter got my haed blown off in about 0.75 sec on rainbow ten. lol. I never used to last very long on that game.

But like I said, GT5........hmmmmm. And the online play on PS is free and apparently just as good as xbox. the only game tha I won't be able to play on is PGR4.
i enjoyed PGR2 on xbox because it was more fun, than extremely serious. whereas I think that when GT5 goes online, I think the people on that might be a tad serious about the racing....but I just love the game.....but i also love PGR.

what do I doooooooo?!:rolleyes:

What ever i get it'll probably be in the new year. But its getting veeeerrryyy close.

_JP_
13-11-2007, 10:26 PM
PGR4 out and out fun, Forza 2 serious GT like game :)

YOU know it makes sense all the way :D

jim76
13-11-2007, 11:04 PM
The Elite no longer looks the best bet of the 360 range. The original reasons for buying it were hopefully to get the new cooler chipset, the larger hard drive and the HDMI connection missing on the earlier 360's.

But now the Pro spec has starting shipping with HDMI connection and the new chipsets (the elite isn't guaranteed to have the falcon chipset by the way, it may still be the old one), so the only difference for the £50 extra is the hard disk. Unless you are planning to download TV and films through Live then the extra space is pretty wasted.

You can also get deals on the pro with two games and an extra wireless controller for less than the £300 elite.

Southwell
14-11-2007, 08:02 AM
heres a brilliant deal....http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1192601

jim76
14-11-2007, 11:48 AM
the entertainment pack of Forza 2 and a wireless controller for £29 is nice! [clicks on order button!]

Southwell
14-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Thats gotta be a missprice!! :D

jim76
16-11-2007, 09:49 PM
well, seeing as mine arrived today with a receipt for £29 i'm guessing it was right!!

Southwell
16-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Very nice, just paypal me my fee :)

Mike Hudson
17-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I really don't know which one to buy after reading all this now. I want the new GTA when it comes out i can't get enough of them then theres all the other games for 360 and not many of my m8s have ps3s and online play is w**k on them really cant decide though they are both too good to choose between them

jim76
17-11-2007, 02:03 PM
think you answered your own question.
PS3 - no mates to play with, crap online, one good game.
Xbox - loads of games, loads of mates on line, slick xbox live service.

no brainer.

Richard Lowe
17-11-2007, 02:15 PM
think you answered your own question.
PS3 - no mates to play with, crap online, one good game.
Xbox - loads of games, loads of mates on line, slick xbox live service, melts.

no brainer.
Corrected haha :D

Chrislong
17-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Corrected haha :D

Zip it Lowe.. Has your Xbox ever melted? No, cos you haven't got one.

You want one yeh? No? Perhaps you just don't realise it yet.

I found one big reason that Forza2 is miles better than GT5 will be - you don't need to spend hours getting Licenses to race the bigger races.

Richard Lowe
17-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Fighting talk Mr Schlong :p

I'm not too bothered about either console to be fair at the moment, coming from a decent spec PC they both look pretty poor graphics wise. I mostly play FPS and real time stratergy games too which are no fun to play with a controller IMO.

The only person I know with a 360 has had it since launch and it's not exploded yet, I'm just messing with you :D

telboy
17-11-2007, 05:44 PM
a wierd thing has happened.
Sales of xbox ( i just thought i'd let you know it took 3 attampts to spell xbox just then.:rolleyes:) have gone through the roof in Japan and are out selling PS3.....

...but PS3 is outselling xbox in the US.
Strange. It was totally the oppsite last time, with the japs saying they'd never buy US crap, and the yanks saying they would never buy Jap crap.

Funny how things have turned round.

I'm still tempted with the PS3 though. i've not a fast enough pc to warrant pc gaming.
But I'm still not certain.

How many on here have xbox live?

budgio
17-11-2007, 07:57 PM
From what i,ve read i think most people on here with an xbox360 have an xbox live subscription.It is the console of choice for online gaming.

Southwell
17-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Most people have xbox's because the ps3 was so expensive at lauch, i recon ps3 will come good next year. Plus you can help solve diseases and such with folding home :D

telboy
17-11-2007, 09:19 PM
get this....

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item83228/In-the-right-gear/

...the top gear test track on GT5.

You'll be able to measure yourself against the stigs times.

Kool!

matt
25-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. The other half has asked what i want for xmas and after reading this i think i will get the 360 with pgr4 and cod4.

danDanEFC
25-11-2007, 11:44 AM
cod4 rocks

matt
25-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Whats the online play like:confused:

budgio
25-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Its one of the best online games i have ever played.:)
Got it on pc/xbox/and ps3 (thanks to a friend of mine).
The ps3 version is probably the nicest to look at but the 360 xbox live experience is best for multiplayer.

GRIFF55
30-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Right then, i've bitten the bullet(i think:wtf:) and decided on an xbox360 elite. What's the best deal out there anybody has seen. Game has console, viva pinita, assasins creed, forza2 and an extra controller for 329 i think, any better out there??

matt
01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
That sounds a good deal. I got mine yesterday from gamestation with pgr4 and halo 3 for £249(pro system).

Southwell
01-12-2007, 08:14 PM
The Xbox has been purchased, i now have all three :D

Add: SuperNutta :D

RogerM
01-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Ian ..... welcome to the tripple console club (4 if you include the PS2)

Personally I rank them in this order

1) Wii ...... so much fun
2) PS2 .... huge games and hardware suport
3) PS3 .... bluray looks great for movies, shame about the game support.
99) X360 .. not much good at anything other than 1st person shoot'ems ... which I don't like. Forza is ok.

GRIFF55
01-12-2007, 09:31 PM
What's the ps3 like for games then??

Southwell
01-12-2007, 09:37 PM

Great quality, but hardly anyone has a PS3 as they are so much money. They will come into their own next year i recon though.

Southwell
01-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Ian ..... welcome to the tripple console club (4 if you include the PS2)

Personally I rank them in this order

1) Wii ...... so much fun
2) PS2 .... huge games and hardware suport
3) PS3 .... bluray looks great for movies, shame about the game support.
99) X360 .. not much good at anything other than 1st person shoot'ems ... which I don't like. Forza is ok.

Wii is definately my favourite at the moment, mario galaxy and great fun.

PS3, not many good games but loads of potential and the blueray looks great on my hdtv.

Xbox i bought for the other games i love, PGR, Forza seems good, footy games are better on it imo, and uno!!!!!! :D It also connects nicely into my media centre laptop :)

jim76
02-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I honestly wouldn't get an elite at the moment. There are great deals on the Pro model, which now has HDMI and also the falcon chipsets to prevent the RRoD. The Elites aren't shipping with this yet, they still have the original chips contrary to belief. The only difference for the £50 extra is the hard disc.

_JP_
02-12-2007, 01:37 AM
very true, I got an elite thinking it would be the new chip-set!
Wrong!, I think only the halo version is at the moment.

Southwell
02-12-2007, 02:25 AM
very true, I got an elite thinking it would be the new chip-set!
Wrong!, I think only the halo version is at the moment.

I think mine is the Falcon chipset, It's manufactured 2 months after they started releasing and on a later lot number to the old versions.

matdodd
02-12-2007, 01:06 PM

There geting better all the time COD4 is so good & looks cool in 1080 :D

GRIFF55
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
OOOhh what do you do??????????:wtf: We're doing the lounge up, so we have looked at the samsung lcd's but at the sony centre they offered us a ps3 with the tv for free. Do i buy the cheaper samsung and get an xbox or the sony with the ps3??????????????????? Love the look of the ps3 but as most have said, more people have the xbox to play against live. I think i'll have a skinfull tonight and see what i have ordered by the morning:D:D. Have you got/played both Matt? Whats your opinion?

matdodd
02-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Iv only got the PS3 mate but spent the last year livin in a house with 2x psp's 2x Xbox's 1x 360 1x PS3 1x PS2 and a Wii :D
& we played the PS3 the most!
My mate I lived with loves Xbox (hes a first person fan!) But hes now getin a PS3 aswell. If you play online a lot the 360 is better right now, but next year? More and more people I know are geting PS3's now the price has come down so there will be more people to play online soon & the games are geting better as they learn how to program for PS3.
So if You can buy both :o if not id get a PS3 its a good blueray player aswell to go with your nice new LCD!

GRIFF55
02-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Cheers, what memory ps3 should i go for? Do you think that the 40 would be enough?? I thought i'd bit the bullet on a 360elite but with the last few comments i'm swaying toward the ps3 now:o

matdodd
02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a 60 but a 40 should be fine & if you want more space its easy to change the Hd later anyway. It depends what you want to keep on there iv got some games, music & dvd's but if you have a Pc with dvds/music on it easy to stream them to the PS3 & watch it on Tv!

What LCD was it they offered you?

Southwell
02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Have even more beer and buy both ;)

The hard drive on the ps3 is a piece of piss to change out anyway, if you ever run out just buy a laptop HDD.

GRIFF55
02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
What LCD was it they offered you?[/quote]

There was a choice of three, don't ask me no's i don't know them. They were 47" and 52" thats all i know. oh, and one had a glass surround.

matdodd
02-12-2007, 02:23 PM
There big for most normal front rooms! It will be like havin a cinema in you front room :D

GRIFF55
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Can't wait to see those blue films on one(blue ray that is:rolleyes:)
Its an old farm house, so the rooms are a bit big, i even raced my car round the lounge when we dug the floor out!!
What's the best ps3 deal you've seen?

RogerM
02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Andy, PS3, in my personal opinion, is a far better machine than the X360 so long as your not a huge 1st person shooter fan in which case the X360 is the one to go for.

My X360 has just cried enough (it's got the Extreme firmware update and although it plays backups fine it has just given up palying originals) and I won't be replacing it!!!!!!!

PS3 is a brilliant machine, Wii is still the most fun. Just bought Candice Mario Olympics today and not heard a word since .... money well spent ;)

matdodd
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Dixons had the 60 for £349.99 & the 40 for £299.99! I have seen the 40 for £270 somewhere just cant think where :confused:

Southwell
02-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Keep checking out, hotukdeals.com ;)

Chris Green
02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
the 40gb PS3 is £280 on play.com

Chris Green
02-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Andy, PS3, in my personal opinion, is a far better machine than the X360 so long as your not a huge 1st person shooter fan in which case the X360 is the one to go for.

My X360 has just cried enough (it's got the Extreme firmware update and although it plays backups fine it has just given up palying originals) and I won't be replacing it!!!!!!!

PS3 is a brilliant machine, Wii is still the most fun. Just bought Candice Mario Olympics today and not heard a word since .... money well spent ;)

I bought Mario and Sonic today too! I love it!

Managed to get a couple of world records so far too. :cool:

GRIFF55
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
the 40gb PS3 is £280 on play.com

Andt they are doing a price match at pcworld giving a further 10% off;)

jim76
02-12-2007, 09:46 PM
the 60gb premium is 299 on shopto.net

Teddy truman
03-12-2007, 02:18 PM
you fools dont get a ps3 :confused: pooooooooooooooo

RogerM
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Teddy ..... I have to disagree ..... Xbox 360 won't be replaced ... PS3 is a MUCH better machine and the controller is 1,000,000 times better!

I think the 360 was the biggest waste of money I have EVER spent with regard to home entertainment ..... mainly because it didn't entertain me!

jim76
03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
i'm with Tony
i can't argue the PS3 is more reliable, more powerful and has more potential, but the controller is grim, and it has pants games currently. in 12 months it may be worth getting but currently the 360 gets my vote.

low13
05-12-2007, 08:33 PM
however the readring of death has supposedly been sorted with the addition of the secound fan to all 360 elites and new 360s

as fo rthe ps3 vs 360 war the 60 is now running hdmi which should take advantage of all 512mb that the ati r600 inside has to offer so theres a plus(the ps3's nvidia has i believe 256mb)the 360 also runs true direct x 10 the ps3 does not it run direct x 9 (the 360 on a decent screen eg 1024 x 1200 1080x1240 will be noticablely better ) note:the normal 360 may not have as good a quality due to it not having a digital connetion (the elite runs hdmi)

however the ps3 oes have a fast processer at 7 times larger than the 360's however with less ram than the 360 but overall his still means the ps3 has faster loading

the 360 can multitask eg play your ipd and play games with its tricore processor however the ps3 cannot

games:i cant oment as i'd be 360 biased towards halo3 (true halo fanboy) however the ps3 is getting ut3 (unreal tornement3 before the 360 so theres a plus)
overall thats al i can rgrgitate check neoseeker forums for more help.

budgio
05-12-2007, 11:05 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/24/xbox-360-cant-run-directx-10-confirms-ati/

OHH NO IT CANT (in pantomine voice);)

Southwell
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Theres an easy way to see if you have the Falcon chipset. On the box and/or power supply it says the wattage, if it's 175w it's a falcon, if 203w its the older type. The old type cannot run on 175w so it's guarenteed way to know as far as i understand.