PDA

View Full Version : Shells that don't have the outer protective film?

QuackingPlums
22-11-2010, 03:15 PM
What do you guys do when painting shells that don't have the protective outer film on them?
I've tried cling film, which does a good job of keeping my fingers from smudging it, but isn't a very good surface on which to scribble my design with a Sharpie.
Also, do you tend to put the window masks on the outside and use them as a guide, or on the inside and spray/sponge the liquid mask over the top of them?

jimmy
22-11-2010, 03:34 PM
If there's no overspray protection then it's just a pain really but I just deal with it. There's vitually nothing you can paint or draw on that shell that won't come off very easily, so it's not really a problem.
Deodorant (not anti persperant) works well even if you have nothing else to hand, and makes the shell smell MANLY - lol

I use that - or pure alcohol or tamiya thinner or surgical spirit. All work well - solvent paints might take a little more rubbing to get rid of, especially if you've got a thumb print on there instead of some light overspray but it'll come off.

DCM
22-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Deoderant for me to!! works a treat, and as Jimmy says.... leaves it manly :thumbsup:

jonmiller
22-11-2010, 04:18 PM
what do i do...swear at them! :D

but yeh, as others have said, marker pen as usual and isopropynol alcohol to wipe it off.

blitzboy
22-11-2010, 04:40 PM
just give some of the old lynx deo guys smells sweet and the birds love it too oh yer :drool:

QuackingPlums
22-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Wow seriously?! Consensus seems to be Lynx or isopropyl then - I guess I'll try whichever is the cheapest!

So this is fine for marker pen, overspray, whatever I can throw at it? Somehow I feel that you're all winding me up so I'll be trying it on some scrap first if you don't mind! :eh?::woot:

Aaran
22-11-2010, 08:29 PM
why not jsut use some liquid mask on the outside of the shell? it dries transparent and will keep the overspray off it to ;)

jonmiller
22-11-2010, 08:50 PM
no wind up bud

i should think the iso is cheaper than lynx.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=isopropanol+alcohol&_sacat=0&_odkw=isopropynol+alcohol&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

as for using mask on the outside, waste of money and time really but would work.

QuackingPlums
22-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Cheers again Jon!

@Aaran: if I put liquid mask on the outside then I still can't draw on it! Though I'm sure Jon would love the extra liquid mask sales...! :p