PDA

View Full Version : New Member

MiniRoll
24-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I am interested in finding out a bit more about racing and the classes that can be raced in. I used to race as a junior at YORCC club meetings back in the 80's when they used to race at Stockton-on-the-Forest village hall, but stopped racing in the early 90's due to work, life, etc. After having nothing at all to do with anything RC related since then, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased to see that the club still exists and there is such interest in it. 25 years after getting my first RC car (Tamiya Lancia 037 Rally), I have suddenly got the urge to get back into the sport and potentially race again. Saturday evenings through the summer are difficult for me due to work, but the winter months are much easier.

From what I can remember when I used to race there were potentially eight classes of race. 2wd Standard, 2wd Modified, 4wd Standard, 4wd Modified, all split into Junior and Senior. Standard classes were sealed can Mabuchi 540 27 single turn motors. Anything else was classed as modified. Batteries were 7.2v Nicads though there was not the range of batteries available now.

What I would like to do is to race in a standard class to begin with as it is 20 years or so since I last ran a car, so I am under no illusion that I will be completely uncompetitive. What I would like to know is:

What options are available for motors and batteries for standard class of racing?
Are points meetings split into standard and modified classes?
Can you run either 2wd or 4wd in the standard class?
Can you run Lipo's in a standard class?
In order to charge batteries at a race meeting there used to be a large lorry battery if you were unable to bring your own car battery from which to charge from, though I see nowadays a lot of chargers can charge from the mains supply. Is there a facility to charge batteries, or do I need to bring a car battery from which to charge from?
Is it still the same that you marshall the race following your own race?
Can I simply turn up and race or do I need to be a BRCA member?

I still own Futaba radio gear which runs on 40MHz FM crystals which I assume is still acceptable, providing it still works of course? :cry:

By the way if you are interested my car history consisted of the following:

Tamiya Lancia 037 Rally
Tamiya Fox
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Cat XLS

Being a junior with limited budget I had to sell every car before I could afford to buy a new one.

I would appreciate it if someone could help answer the questions above, and appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Thanks very much.

Col
24-11-2010, 10:41 AM
What I would like to know is:

What options are available for motors and batteries for standard class of racing? Sealed can brushed motors are 540class, and slow(13.5t) brushless also get put into that class as well. Anything else is modified class.
Are points meetings split into standard and modified classes?Yes.There are 2 points meeting a month, 1 for 2wd (540 class and modified - although 4wd 540's race here as well) and 1 for 4wd (modified only)
Can you run either 2wd or 4wd in the standard class? Yes.
Can you run Lipo's in a standard class?Yes. You are supposed to use a lipo pouch for charging, but many don't.
In order to charge batteries at a race meeting there used to be a large lorry battery if you were unable to bring your own car battery from which to charge from, though I see nowadays a lot of chargers can charge from the mains supply. Is there a facility to charge batteries, or do I need to bring a car battery from which to charge from? There is power at the school, just make sure you bring an extension lead.
Is it still the same that you marshall the race following your own race? sure is.
Can I simply turn up and race or do I need to be a BRCA member?You can race for upto 3 meetings without BRCA membership. Memberships are undergoing renewal now, so it would be a good time to join.

I still own Futaba radio gear which runs on 40MHz FM crystals which I assume is still acceptable, providing it still works of course? :cry: no problems there. Bring as many crystals as you can to avoid clashes, although there are alot of people on 2.4gig so clashes are rare.

By the way if you are interested my car history consisted of the following:

Tamiya Lancia 037 Rally
Tamiya Fox
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Cat XLS

Being a junior with limited budget I had to sell every car before I could afford to buy a new one.

I would appreciate it if someone could help answer the questions above, and appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Thanks very much.

No problem buddy, hope I've helped.

This coming sat is a club night, so feel free to pop down and have a look around (i'll not be there, but many will be able to help). The week after is the 24h race, so club regulars will not be so easy to find.

MiniRoll
24-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Col,

Thanks very much for the info. That is great and much appreciated.

By the way I missed off owning a Schumacher Cougar 2 Team, and Tamiya Monte Mini.

Cheers