PDA

View Full Version : Laptop: Do you sleep or shut down?

Big G
05-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Personally having a Macbook I never shut my laptop down. The only time it restarts is for updates, but my Mum and many other people I know always shut theirs down once they're done using it.

What about you?

DCM
05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Depends on how long you are leaving it 'down' for, if it is up to an hour or so, put it to sleep, but your using electricity, so shut down if your not frequently going back to it.

JonMack
05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I've been using Macs since 2003, and I always put them to sleep, never shut them down unless doing a software update.

jhammond
06-12-2010, 08:59 AM
DELETED

Ashton Armstrong
06-12-2010, 09:47 AM
i leave mine on hibernate but shut down 2 times a week

gnr racer
06-12-2010, 10:16 AM
But it is a very interesting topic, one that I've always wondered about.[/QUOTE]
Not meening to offend here..but do you think you need to get out more:eh?:

sldmodels
06-12-2010, 10:29 AM
If it's a pc, I'd defintely say shut down. If you leave it to sleep, then remember to leave it connected to the mains. When I had my first laptop 5 years ago, I just did what I saw other people do which was to put the screen down. The result is that I essentially killed the battery, so now it has about 5 minutes worth of charge. I now only use it to watch iPlayer on the TV.

As for Mac's, I'd pressume that you'd do the same thing, but Mac's have always been very different to PC's, as much as they might look alike, but remember that sleep is still using power, as it's "limited" activity, rather than "no activity".

Holeshot
06-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Laptop is usually on most of the day but shut it down when im off to bed unless doing a large download.

jhammond
06-12-2010, 10:38 AM
DELETED

jhammond
06-12-2010, 10:39 AM
DELETED

bodgit
06-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Depends on how long you are leaving it 'down' for, if it is up to an hour or so, put it to sleep, but your using electricity, so shut down if your not frequently going back to it.

Costs 0.25p per hour to leave on sleep. There are worse things to leave on standby http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32562
I always switch it off. Not worth the risk however small of it going up in flames.

Chequered Flag Racing
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Laptop is usually on most of the day but shut it down when im off to bed

Same here, laptop & desktop shut down overnight but usually leave on during day hours

Big G
06-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Costs 0.25p per hour to leave on sleep. There are worse things to leave on standby http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32562
I always switch it off. Not worth the risk however small of it going up in flames.

there's no need to leave it connected to the wall while asleep over night since we have lipo power :D

also I'm not sure if windows does this, but on a mac it transfers the RAM to HDD when sleeping which is why you don't see it start blinking the moment you shut the lid. I've seen mine not even change from "(charged)" after an overnight sleep.

I wouldn't chance leaving a desktop PC on overnight unless I had a UPS connected.

showtime
06-12-2010, 06:44 PM
i only ever turn my windows laptop off after an update but then its straight back on again. its literally never been off. its even been asleep when its been travelling anywhere in its bag!
actually, thinking about it i've got stuff plugged in & on standby that havent even got any output cables coming from them so they've never been used since i moved house about 6 years ago :o