PDA

View Full Version : Custom Buggy Help

SBS Motorsports
19-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Hi, from the U.S. This is the BEST forum i have found for custom made buggies! Iam wanting to make a full race buggy, and hopefully build alot more in my life and sell them to the public( want it to be my career). Iam gonna base it off a Sportwerks Raven BX, since thats a buggy that nobody deals with and are cheap. I want to make it a Mid Motor buggy. It already has a B4 backend ( suspension, tranny, etc.) I have a machinst that can cut the parts, so thats the easy part. But what are the best thickness for the chassi, shock towers? So basically ANY tips or tricks on a building, or maching a custom car would be greatly aprreciated!!!

THANKS

Tom3012
19-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Personally, i wouldnt convert the raven.... i dont mean to sound snobby or anything like that because i understand why you picked it, like you said, its cheap, but its cheap for a reason.

If i were you i would design the car around one of the better buggies out their, B4, xxx, xxxcr, or maybe even an RB5. the parts are more readily available and generally of better quality. If you picked something like one of these buggies, its gives you a great starting point (the B4 isnt world champion for nothing after all).

I have made a conversion for the B4 to make it mid motor (check it out: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5477 ) the main reason i chose the B4 was because:

1. i had one lying around
2. its world champ so theres a start
3. good quailty of parts
4. i couldnt afford to buy a sheet of carbon fibre and get it cut to my own chassis design :p

Some tips i can offer from making my conversion:

- Dont rush into it
- Plan it, re-plan it and plan it again
- Draw up accurate diagrams of the car and the parts needed
- Make prototype parts out of someting cheapish to make sure it all fits
- Make a second prototype out of parts which can withstand racing
- Race the prototype you have made
- Summarise all your findings from your prototype and see if anythin needs changing
- Make the changes and then race the car again
- Draw up all of the information you have gathered and produce an accurate diagram
- Make it! Race it!

hope this helps???:)

Cheers,

Tom

annie_himself
19-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I would use a B4 front end and a Losi rear, thats the best of both cars.

Then devise a chassis around those to, mid-motor or not.

Do you have any pictures of your progress?