PDA

View Full Version : x-5

Lew
21-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Okay people, Im going to the x-5 next year and I wanted to know,

I was wondering, The weak spots on the x-5 (obvious the wishbone/shocktowers) But I mean how tuff is the shassis ? I been through like 4 xx4 shassis this year and want to know if the x-5 will be stronger. Also the new inner bits, Like, the belt? how strong is that?

Also, How different is this car compared to the xx4? is there much in it or alot different?

Any help will be great.
Thanks, Lew.

Chrislong
21-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey Lew,
The X-5 square saw quite a lot of change to the chassis, it is now as strong as a tank without being heavy. I can vouch for that, mine has seen plenty of abuse and I haven't even striped a screw hole.

the belt is a Losi item, it does not snap, ever, like a XX4 one can. It does skip but this is inherent in the design and is fine, but running the dual roller almost eliminates it.

The drive system is very efficient, the car accelerates like a bullet. The handling is very similiar to the XX4 in that it takes all of the best bit of it, and makes them better.

the weight of the XX4 is very spread front to rear, whereas the X-5 is central, and it shows. Have a look at Jimmy's review. The body of the X-5 also generates a bucket full of downforce, so its stable, very.

It also jumps insanely well.

The only weak points are bits made by Losi, such as towers and front wishbones. But with X-factory wishbone screws in, they're a lot stronger, and with DC Racing tower braces on - they're very strong.

Lew
21-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Okay, Thanks for the quick and awesome reply.

I must ask, Im a full throttle kinda guy( not being bigheaded :p ), Will the car handle being on the edge in places that it shouldn't be?

Thanks, Lew.

Chrislong
21-10-2007, 10:28 PM
LOL, I know what you mean. Yeah it copes well.

Back to back against other 4wd cars, it rides the bumps at speed like a hovercraft whereas other cars kick up, the XXX4 was bad for it.

if you like powersliding slippy corners, it does that well too - put a Lesro one way diff in (designed for X-5) and it takes it all in its stride.

I will always remember when i switched to the X-5. I was a team driver for Academy and drove the SB Sport, and one weekend I was in dia need of new diff outdrives and driveshafts, and so i borrowed a XX4 from Stu Mahon..... I never drove the SB again! (It was when Evolution went, and we couldn't get bits for the car). I bought the X-5 mainly because of its single belt drive efficiency. The first few times i ran it, it was capable of corners and jumps far faster than I was able to give it, it caught me out because at the speeds I was used to, it did it all and made me look slow! Not because it was slow, but because it was just so capable.

Okay, so now I cain it, I have also developed a nervous twitch. LOL.

It can take it. ;)

Lew
21-10-2007, 10:38 PM
hahahaa..

Nice. I just hope when i get it, I wont be having to splash out on new shassis, Actually, How much is a new shassis for it?

Sucks not being able to have a job, I want it now - But due to "insuficiant" funds im going to have to wait a couple of months :(:(:(

But hey, I'll get it in the end haha.

Thanks Chris,
Lew.

super__dan
22-10-2007, 07:21 AM
I must ask, Im a full throttle kinda guy( not being bigheaded :p ), Will the car handle being on the edge in places that it shouldn't be?

HAHAHAHA

Have you ever seen Chris drive, commitment is not something he's short of it's fair to say!!!

:D