PDA

View Full Version : Racing etiquette on track / results 23th Jan

jpmatrix
28-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi.

Just like to know if driving etiquette in the finals are different to the heats/rounds.

Obviously if you are a slower car like me:D and new to the track I always move out the way of faster cars in the heats especially when they are lapping you.

But what about the finals or in my case the B finals, is it a case of all out go for it? I'm not talking about suicidal or ramming other cars off deliberately, but just being a bit more aggressive shall we say. Thats what racing is all about.

James

ps

Are last weeks results going to be posted up? I would just like to know my lap times and note down if i have improved in relation to changes I have done to my car as a reference.

SteveB
28-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi.

Just like to know if driving etiquette in the finals are different to the heats/rounds.

Obviously if you are a slower car like me:D and new to the track I always move out the way of faster cars in the heats especially when they are lapping you.

But what about the finals or in my case the B finals, is it a case of all out go for it? I'm not talking about suicidal or ramming other cars off deliberately, but just being a bit more aggressive shall we say. Thats what racing is all about.

James

ps

Are last weeks results going to be posted up? I would just like to know my lap times and note down if i have improved in relation to changes I have done to my car as a reference.

James

Results for the last 2 weeks will be posted, just our tech guy Mikey Scott, has been away living large recently. :lol:

The final is free for all to win and there always will be a little more contact between cars in the early stages, however, I would say from the differening abilities, you need to be mindful of the quality of the field from front to back of the final and not to think you are better than you really are? The winners will not make mistakes and drive there own race, will avoid all forms of contact on and off track:lol:.

Tbh its a bit of fun and as they are toys cars with an exspensive price tags.

RobW
28-01-2011, 11:39 AM
The way I look at it is during qualifying I will always let faster cars go. Even if they are behind me on the clock I’ll let obviously faster cars go if, for example, they had a bad start – I don’t gain anything by holding them up and potentially having a coming together.

In finals I believe I have the right to fight for my position and if necessary make my car seem a little wider than normal. Of course, this only works when you can trust the guy behind you not to just drive through you and you tend to learn pretty quickly who you can trust to have a good clean fair race and who the others are!! When it comes to being overtaken or overtaking another car, I think you have also got to give each other a bit of respect – if someone puts a clean line on you and gets the inside line going into a corner, you really should give him the corner and try to get back past cleanly yourself later. One thing that I find frustrating is spending several laps trying to get past someone cleanly, only for them to take you out from behind at the next opportunity. The most fun racing I have is where I spend 5 minutes racing against someone of similar ability who races cleanly and we can put a few fair overtaking maneouves on each other.

I know none of us are perfect and if we all had total control of our cars we’d be world champions so we will hit each other at times but I do think there are occasions in finals where take outs are so balant that the right thing to do is wait and let the other guy go first.

I apologise in advance for all those I take out on Sunday!!

Rob

jpmatrix
28-01-2011, 12:39 PM
The way I look at it is during qualifying I will always let faster cars go. Even if they are behind me on the clock I’ll let obviously faster cars go if, for example, they had a bad start – I don’t gain anything by holding them up and potentially having a coming together.

In finals I believe I have the right to fight for my position and if necessary make my car seem a little wider than normal. Of course, this only works when you can trust the guy behind you not to just drive through you and you tend to learn pretty quickly who you can trust to have a good clean fair race and who the others are!! When it comes to being overtaken or overtaking another car, I think you have also got to give each other a bit of respect – if someone puts a clean line on you and gets the inside line going into a corner, you really should give him the corner and try to get back past cleanly yourself later. One thing that I find frustrating is spending several laps trying to get past someone cleanly, only for them to take you out from behind at the next opportunity. The most fun racing I have is where I spend 5 minutes racing against someone of similar ability who races cleanly and we can put a few fair overtaking maneouves on each other.

I know none of us are perfect and if we all had total control of our cars we’d be world champions so we will hit each other at times but I do think there are occasions in finals where take outs are so balant that the right thing to do is wait and let the other guy go first.

I apologise in advance for all those I take out on Sunday!!

Rob

Some valid points made.
I totally agree with you with regards to 'respect' towards other drivers.
If you know the driver is much quicker than you and is going to pass you, there is no point in trying to race him ; I would just let him pass.

You are right in saying that there's more enjoyment when racing with someone with similar skills/ calibre in which you can both have a good clean scrap to the end of the race.

Anyway there is more chance of taking myself out rather than take a fellow racer out:D.

Just need to practice more.

wylie
29-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi, from my own experience in finals, I think you learn more if you let the fast guy/gal (in the PC world) through if you spend time always defending a position you don't benifit nothing, i'm not saying let everyone through who starts attacking, but learn who your rivals are and concentrate on driving better lines. I am aware that you can't always do this as sometimes there's a bit of red mist or you believe you can defend a position. Whatever happens enjoy and have fun.
There some advice in there for me to :blush:.

jpmatrix
29-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Dont get me wrong, I certianly wouldn't defend my position or deliberately block someone if another car was behind me and you know he / she is faster than you ; I would just let them past.