PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Racing close to Edinburgh

Cubik2
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello all.

Im interested in getting back into the 1/10th 2wd and 4wd racing scene up here in Scotland. Im living in Edinburgh.

Back in the 80's as a teenager I played around with a Mardave Meteor and attended a race / meet in Sighthill a few times. Then in 1998-2000 I got back up to speed with the off-road RC world with a RC10 B3, Predator TQ (so fragile) and Yokomo MX whilst living in New York and attended a racetrack in Long Island for informal events. The track was superb. Made of a clay and BMX track like in its set up.

I've rekindled my passion for the sport over the last few months getting re-acquainted with the gear, driving skills and building up a couple of cars ..

I've been seeing whats out there up here and was wondering what club you recommend attending. Am i right in thinking that Falkirk and Dunfermline are the two closest clubs regularly running tracks and racing for 2wd and 4wd buggies ? I know of the East Kilbride club but realistically its far for me to make it of an evening from Edinburgh. Kids etc.

Im really taken with the idea of "Vintage Racing" with an RC10 Graphite I've had loads of fun setting up but i guess numbers for vintage racing is always going to be a problem. I know its old tech now but i just find something really satisfying in brushed motors, Nicads and late 80's models. It must be the classic car nut in me.

In short I really want to try out a night or afternoon of 2wd + 4wd racing again somewhat local to Edinburgh and wondered what you all recommend (where and when) for dipping my toe back in the water again...informally at least.

PS Project NORA looks very interesting........

best regards

Neil _ Cubik2

discothesnake
02-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Neil, glad to hear your getting to back into it. Closest to you would be Grangemouth for weekly racing indoors. Once NORA is up and running in summer them that will be the place to go. As for your Retro gear, you will probably struggle nowadays for ni-cads etc. Brushless and lipo are defo the way to go.

Cheers

Dave