PDA

View Full Version : Predator Xrs !

jimmy
23-05-2006, 07:06 PM
COOL!
Check the price of it also, reet cheap. 169 pounds.
http://ttechracing.com/Resources/x10auctionwraps.jpg

OldTimer
23-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Plus vat on top of that price, but still a very good price.

Micha_MX4
23-05-2006, 08:10 PM
???

169 pounds probably just for the upgrade of an X10 :bom:

they did it before, but I dunno if it's clever to boast around like that

jimmy
23-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Not sure what this is yet, Tom Yardy reckons it might be a cut-price version of the X10 without all the bling, so its cheaper and more people can own a predator.

DCM
23-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Interesting concept but I shall not make a single comment until I see pics of the car, 169 is great, just depends on what you 'DONT' get for that money.

Morlock
23-05-2006, 09:21 PM
PLEASE!

Open letter to TTECH:

I owned the predator (orig version) so many years go. It was too low slung and not durable enough for the US track conditions.

The comments I am seeing about today's car is that the car handles excellent yet it is still not really tested and designed with the capability to perform on the more vertical and bumpy US tracks. People say it does not have quite enough droop or it still breaks too easily under the abuse of the US verticals.

I would LOVE to drive a predator again, but until I see one that really works on US tracks, I cannot justify any amount of money on it.

TTECH, if you are out there, keep the US racers in mind. It may not be bad for the balance books too :).

jimmy
23-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't speak for US tracks since Ive never been on one but they don't look rougher than what we have here, but generally have more jumps.

Morlock
24-05-2006, 08:20 AM
At 169 sterling its tempting - even with my reservations. Just would like to know whats under the blanket.

DCM
24-05-2006, 09:08 AM
169 erm.. plus VAT I beleive... good old TTech with their advertising Spin...

I have been trying to think where they can be saving all that money over a stock kit, so should be interesting to see.

jimmy
24-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Nah, no VAT for Morlock, hes in the USA ;)

Mike_stening
24-05-2006, 10:20 AM
the only ares that i can think of are changing carbon fibre for molded plastic, slightly heavier plastic chassis, rocker material could be a cheaper metal, non ti turnbuckles etc. but it really is a big difference in price, will be interesting to see how one compares and how it holds up, might break less if the materials are a little more flexible but would loose that positive handling.

just my thoughts

DCM
24-05-2006, 10:40 AM
just hope they don't do things like, erm, forget to install a slipper in the box...

rcyogi
24-05-2006, 04:10 PM
It will be interesting to see how much I over pay when I got my car! Since i got one of the first ones.

Mindbendur
25-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I just pre-ordered the XRS. I think that whatever it looks like, it will be hot! I've wanted to pick up an X10 forever but the price was just outrageous. I'll be the only one in the state of New Jersey with the XRS...I can already see the jealous eyes at the track, LOL.

Morlock
25-05-2006, 11:35 PM
How much is VAT? Maybe I should buy one from the US and let you buy it back from me :o.

Well, I am selling a used xxx4. The intent was to trim my race collection to my yokomo (need to build) and my xfactory x-5.

I bought the x-5 used, cleaned it up and it so outhandles my xxx4 it is not even funny. Besides this I have a xxx bk2, a few new tamiyas and 2 nitro cars.

By the way, I have been getting the BEST support in the world from Chazz with the x-5.

As you can see, somewhere I went a little nuts. I know some of you have collections that dwarf mine.

But once I had 2 cars and one day I turned around and discovered I now have 9 runners. 2-3 cars are maintainable - - - -not 9!!!!!!

Trying to resist purchasing another car. But geez its hard - epecially since I have always thought the preds are neat.

Any more information on the XRS? (subtly returns subject to proper forum content)

G30RGE
26-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Interesting - but ........... only the 1st 50 kits will be at the 'low' price, then they go to 211.91 :rolleyes:

But - the first 50 do come with the transmission pre-built!

Mindbendur
26-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Interesting - but ........... only the 1st 50 kits will be at the 'low' price, then they go to 211.91 :rolleyes:

But - the first 50 do come with the transmission pre-built!

Actually you get the cheaper price until the promotion goes away...which it hasnt. I just pre-ordered yesterday and got the lower price and I was number 118. I just dont get the pre-built tranny. I would rather build everything myself anyway.

OldTimer
27-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Detailed spec of the Xrs is now online, you don't get the items below, but you still get a lot for the money i think. The only parts you would really need are the one way and diff balls from perhaps Acer 1/8 & 2mm.

One way
Ceramic diff and thurst balls
Moulded rather than alloy rocker cranks
Steel not ti-nitride shock shafts
Moulded rather than alloy steering arms

http://ttechracing.com/htmlpages/xrsspecification.html

ttechracing
30-05-2006, 05:49 PM
PLEASE!

Open letter to TTECH:

I owned the predator (orig version) so many years go. It was too low slung and not durable enough for the US track conditions.

The comments I am seeing about today's car is that the car handles excellent yet it is still not really tested and designed with the capability to perform on the more vertical and bumpy US tracks. People say it does not have quite enough droop or it still breaks too easily under the abuse of the US verticals.

I would LOVE to drive a predator again, but until I see one that really works on US tracks, I cannot justify any amount of money on it.

TTECH, if you are out there, keep the US racers in mind. It may not be bad for the balance books too :).

Hi, thanks for your comments.

This is quite a common misconception.

The Predator looks low because the TOP of the car is very low.

The suspension travel is massive and the ideal amount of ground clearance is always obtainable because it can be adjusted to suit your track conditions, and yet always leaves enough suspension travel to give you ideal droop as well.

The low look is very important because it is the result of a design which gives you a low centre of gravity for stability, and reduced frontal area for lower aerodynamic drag which makes the car faster.

The latest X10 and XRS Predators have class leading durabity and the transmission will now be "Guaranteed" against breakage we are so confident about its strength.

We have spent many hours testing the latest Predators on US style tracks. The car is quicker than ever and more than capable of winning top level events in the US just as it did when it won the NORRCA Nationals and Winternational with Brian Kinwald before.

Larger volume production is enabling us to bring you a much better price too, and this will be reflected in the latest Predator XRS.

Best regards
Richard Weatherley
TTech Racing

jimmy
30-05-2006, 06:00 PM
The other thing that for me makes the car look lower than it is, is the very long suspension arms. Their angle changes less than the shorter arms on other cars so makes it look like the car doesnt have as much travel.

stefke
31-05-2006, 10:25 AM
"Moulded rather than alloy rocker cranks"

This worries me. This was one of the parts that kept breaking on the original Predator I drove in the 90'ies, together with the suspension arms and the extremely noisy transmission (no slipper back in those days). :(

The Pred may have become a reliable car now, but my reliability trauma's are so deep I wouldn't race one anymore even if they threw one at me.

Northy
31-05-2006, 12:00 PM
The plastic rockers were used on all the cars before the X10, and I have never had a single problem with them! The rocker crank pivots are now M4 instead of M3 and are much stronger!

G

Yardeeee
01-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey all,

The XRS is a brilliant idea. Finally the predator can lose the stigma of being a car simply beyond the reach of the club racer as far as both costs and maintenance are concerned. A great car for a great price, what more can you ask? TTech are back, and nobody can argue with their commitment... oh and btw, have you seen just how fit the girl is in the xrs promo pics? :o wow...

Yardy

Bathy
01-06-2006, 08:22 PM
oh and btw, have you seen just how fit the girl is in the xrs promo pics? :o wow...

Yardy

You can't say things like that and not post the link!!! Where, where, where??? not that I'm keen to see or anything... honest :)

Northy
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
And they now guarantee certain parts of the transmission! :eek: :eek: :D :D

http://ttechracing.com/transmissionguar.html

jimmy
01-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Is the girl a stock photo or a model they got in or or or ? shhhhh dont tell vicky but i'm getting one in for the next review I think.. :p

The guarentee on the gears is a good move, they are so beefy they don't need it, but since the car has such a bad rep for previous problems its a rather good idea.

craigosh
01-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Jim if you want some pics of the next review car with a girl i can probably arrange it....!!!!! :-D :-P

jimmy
01-06-2006, 11:29 PM
*gets a clip round the ear from vicky* That would be ace though, especially if done a bit tongue in cheek like.:D

craigosh
02-06-2006, 12:10 AM
hehe, well i'll see who might be interesed in doing it for a laff.. as long as you dont mind some rock chicks..

Problem for me now though is Dark Impact or XRS???
I'm leaning more towards the DI as i'm a tamiya fan but still find the Pred appealing despite thinking they are a bit hard work and fragile..

jimmy
02-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Ive not built the Impact yet, nor have I seen an XRS in the flesh, but I guess the predator would wipe the floor with the tamiya. The Impact looks like a great car I have to say, but its certainly far from race proven or race bred. If you are a Tamiya fan though, its got serious appeal!! I can't wait to build mine, well, actually I can since I just started the BJ4 instead hehe..

craigosh
02-06-2006, 12:29 AM
well i love the top force and thats served me well really, so i see the DI as an extension of it. I agree the pred is race proven, but i have beaten a few with the tforce.. But there is that nagging bit at the back of my head which says give the pred a go... anyone fancy lettin me have a drive of an x10 :-D

jimmy
02-06-2006, 12:35 AM
welcome to have a go with mine... erm, once its built that is. give me time! :D
Nah, I dont want to diss the Impact, it looks a really good car, and people seem to like how it drives. It should be good to see it competing.

Rock chick are ace btw :D wether it happens or not, its the best idea ever ! hehe.

DCM
02-06-2006, 08:40 AM
The TopForce and DI are two totaly different beasts (from seperate millenium TOO). The DI in kit form is far FAR more than the TopForce can ever be (and yes I did have one). Also with companies now making Carbon Chassis for the DI it will only improve things, once I get one, I shall work on mounting the rear wishbones off the chassis not the box.

XRS, celever concept, how it will work, who knows, got to be worth a punt though.

craigosh
02-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Well there we go, if i'm beating preds and xxx4's with the TForce then i should be able to beat more with the DI :D

craigosh
04-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm probably just getting confused but looking at the comparison sheet again, it looks like the xrs doesnt come with a slipper as standard... i mentions a carbon shaft with direct connection to front gear box, then below a carbon shaft with slipper as an option for both cars...!!! dunno what you guys think..!?!

jimmy
05-06-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm sure it has a slipper but not a one way

craigosh
06-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Just been pricing it up against the DI and on the TTECH shop, the slipper and shaft is an option part...!! so looks like it doesnt come included..

DCM
06-06-2006, 01:18 PM
well, remember, the price on the website is EXCLUDING VAT, which I think it is a bit of a dodgy call (could even be called a little con) as you don't know the FULL price till you have either selected to pay via paypal or entered your card details, then they add the VAT on and it comes out as not 175 inc postage but 205.

I have emailed them as they sent me a confirmation order even though I didn't 'confirm' the order and said that by not telling them the price does not include VAT is misleading.

OldTimer
06-06-2006, 08:45 PM
I would be surprised if there is no slipper, as the transmission is guaranteed on the XRS, without a slipper there would be a lot of extra stress on the transmission which could be costly to ttech.

DCM
06-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Slipper shaft is an option, you get a 'unidirectional direct drive' which in non ttech speak means, no slipper, spur bolted to prop shaft affair.

Northy
07-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Now comes with a slipper.... :D

G

wouter.z
08-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Now comes with a slipper.... :D

G

nice, are you sure of this because on the website the slipper isnt included.

Northy
08-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Yes, TTech America posted that it would include a slipper here: http://thepred.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=predatorX10&action=display&thread=1148929808

G

OldTimer
21-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Just for info the XRS will start shipping from Ttech early next week.

ttechracing
24-06-2006, 02:14 PM
In answer to your questions .........

SLIPPER CLUTCH
The XRS does come with a slipper clutch as standard. It is the full Team spec lightweight interlocking alloy plate one, which is also prebonded to the prop shaft at the TTech factory. The transmission is 100% guaranteed, against any mechanical failure.

PRICING/TAX
The VAT or tax that you pay depends on where you live. A customer from Japan or USA for example would not be charged any VAT by us. If you are within the UK or other EC country then we have to charge VAT. We state clearly that tax and shipping will be added and this is then shown before you confirm your order or enter any payment method.
This is universal to all International companies such as TTech.

Hope this helps
TTech Racing Ltd

DCM
24-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I thought it said the Slipper and pre-built prop shaft was a limited offer on the XRS??

And NOW! for a limited period all XRS's come with a slipper Clutch and the prop shaft is fully assembled

Or is that just on the pre-assembly??

burgie
26-06-2006, 07:17 AM
no, for the time being all XRS's will come with a slipper clutch and the prop shaft will be built. The first few will also have their diffs built as well.

even though building the propshaft and gluing it with araldite is a little daunting, it would be better to assemble it in the actual chassis that it is being used in. I am not sure if this is going to be the case, or if they are being built on a jig.

Setting the end flaot on these things really is a critical step of the construction of the Preds.

jimmy
26-06-2006, 09:03 AM
I glued my x10 shaft with some 15 minute araldite stuff, it was a lot easier than I thought it'd be, even setting the end float was a peice of cake.

Northy
26-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Told ya Jimmy! :D

G

jimmy
26-06-2006, 02:10 PM
I'd rather have it come pre-glued personally, since I had to drive to b&q to get the araldite, then I had to stand in b&q for a while looking at all the various araldites - non of which looked to be "normal" araldite, before choosing one! :)

The 15 minute stuff looked good tho, I couldnt bear the thought of doing that step and then leaving it for hours. :rolleyes:

DCM
26-06-2006, 03:10 PM
personaly, I still shudder at the thought of having to 'glue bits together' on what is suppose to be a top level car......

Northy
26-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Is it the fact that the builder has to do it, or is it the fact that its glued? :confused:

The Lotus Elise is essentially "glued" together! :o

G

DCM
26-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Worked on Aeroplanes, the fact that it uses a bonding agent doesn't bother me, it is the fact that you aren't buying a cheap kit but you are still left with 'assembling' a simple component. We had to do this sort of thing 15 years ago, but now, most if not all kits require simple 'assembly' with maybe a little 'fettling' and also the fact that you get the propshaft wrong, performance suffers I would of though.

andys
26-06-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm on the verge of ordering an XRS, but I need to know :

1_Do I need to order anything else from Ttech, i.e different springs for the shockers ? Any spares (I don't crash, but it has being known for people to run into me..)

2_I like to build stuff once then run it, none of that crazy altering setup and shock oils etc, so can somone (Graham...) give me a basic good setup (oils, springs etc)

3_Will I really notice the difference if I get an X10 ?

I thank you. Andy.

Northy
26-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Andy,

The spring tuning kit is a good idea, but I have not changed springs for a while now.

I run this set-up almost everywhere now:

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/tomyardysetup.gif

Obviously with the tyres that suit the track!

Only change camber and maybe go 5wt or 10wt higher or lower from there. It will be a good start. The rear springs are kit, but the fronts are different.

Spares:- The spares pack that TTech offer is great value and has the right parts in it.

The XRS sounds like a great car at a great price! :eek: :D

If you need anything just ask.

G

jimmy
26-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Andy I have spares should you need any also, the spares pack and a front gearbox top etc. Which i'll bring to races with me, just dont break somet same as me! :)
If you want window masks for it just give me a shout ill wizz some over to you (dont think they come with any anyway, I have orignal design and jimmy design ones)

yardy was running 55wt in the rear with that setup at batley.

Northy
27-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I went to 60wt in the rear and 40wt in the front because the weather was hot! :o

G

andys
27-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Cheers for the info fellas.

Ordered the car + spares today from TTech. He confused the hell out of me regarding springs, aparently there is something different on the back of the XRS compared to the X10 ? Anyway, he said the springs in the kit should be fine for grass tracks, so i'll wait and see.

Cheers for the setup Graham.

Andy.

jimmy
27-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Nice one andy. I'll be taking my X10 to batley this wednesday if you want a wheel of it.

Morlock
28-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Really what TTech needs is some exposure in the US. I would be willing to race one this season at So-Cal if they sent me an xrs. :jimmeh

andys
05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Anyone got one yet ?

I was told they were shipping last wednesday, asked for mine to be sent out Monday as I was away for a bit, no sign of it as yet ?
Does anyone know if they are being sent out, i've mailed ttech today, so am hopefully awaiting a reply.

Northy
05-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Andy best to ring them I would have thought.

Are you hoping to race it at the weekend?

G

andys
06-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Spoke to Ian at TTech this morning, very helpfull chap. My XRS was sent out yesterday, so I should recieve it today ! Yippee.

Graham. I will be running it this weekend, so I'll be picking your brains :-)

Andy.

Northy
06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Yeah, Ian's da man! :D

No worries Andy, I'll give you all the help I can.

I'll be starting with:

40wt front 6 turn springs
60wt rear kit springs

Should help when building it.

G

andys
06-07-2006, 09:29 AM
The missus has just called, it's just being delivered at home.

I'll be using the setup you posted for me graham, cheers.
Aparently the transmission is built, so it should be quick to finish off according to Ian !

Now I just need those window masks from Jimmy......

jimmy
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
sorry andy, should get them tomorrow. I forgot to bring them to work two days running to send them.

Northy
06-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Hope this is ok Jimmy.

Andy, before you start building have a look here:

http://thepred.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=tips

http://thepred.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=predatorX10&action=display&thread=1127327446

Cheers,

G

andys
07-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Cheers for the links Graham.

Looks like i'll be rummaging around in the pitbox for some longer screws !

It's going together nicely so far, certainly feels like a very well thought out piece of kit. There are though some 'questionable' plastic parts in the kit, I just hope the motor clamp is decent and isn't going to cause me to srtip endless spur gears like the early X10 ones ? Anyone know if this is a revised item in the XRS kit ? I'm worried that perhaps the XRS is a kit made up of all the original bits that weren't quite right on the X10 !

No one way either, last time I ran a car without a one-way it was a tamiya hot-shot.......

Graham, the springs are just one spring on the XRS, not like the dual spring setup on the X10 ?

Anyway, at last. after years of waiting i've got a pred, so i'm happy. If it's good, I might treat myself to an X10, I like nice metal bits instead of plastic cheap stuff, oh well.

Northy
07-07-2006, 04:58 PM
TBH I don't know much about the spec of the XRS, and have never even seen one!

Is the motor mount plastic?

See you Sunday.

G

andys
08-07-2006, 08:38 AM
At last it's built. The Servo horn / steering arm was a real pain to get just right. Graham, the motor mount is all alloy, with a red alloy mount that screws to the motor, that then clamps into an alloy mount that screws tight down. Looks like it should do the job ?

Only thing i've noticed after building it is a lack of droop on the front of the car, rear seems fine ? I've mounted the struts on the rockers on the outer most hole to give it that bit extra.

The drive train / slipper was all built when it arrived (nice) so I assume it will be set up correctly.

Will give it a quick go round our tiny garden, then pack it up for tomorrow.

Northy
08-07-2006, 09:13 AM
What are the front rockers like Andy? The ali ones only have one hole so no adjustment.

If you need more droop try adding spacers to the push rods, thats what I've done anyway with the ali ones.

To check the diff/slipper:

Wedge the left rear wheel under your arm, and hold the spur with your left hand. Now carefully turn the right rear wheel. This used to be a bit scary in the old gear days but the new ones are so strong its fine as long as they've been shimmed correctly.

Obviously the slipper should slip before the diff.

See you tomorrow,

G

modelimages
08-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Graham
just finished building the xrs ready for a quick test tomorrow, the rocker cranks are plastic and have three holes in them. overall its not bad, you can see where they have saved money in the alloy bits but each cheaper part is available to upgrade to the x10 spec, not convinced i have the diffs correctly tightened but we will see tomorrow.
john

modelimages
09-07-2006, 04:29 PM
having returned from running the xrs for the first time today i would advice you to upgrade the rockers the plastic ones snapped across the bolt hole after a minor tap on a track edge, swopped for the alloy ones and had no further problems, one of the regular drivers tried it, liked the overall feel but felt a one way would improve it, all in all a good first run, joe is going to try and run it at Oswestry next weekend.
john

andys
09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Had the same thing happen with the plastic rockers !
Will be getting those replaced asap. On the whole, I really liked the car even though I had a rubbish day of problems and mis-haps.

pro4nut
11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Could of let Joe had a go at Silverstone, good to know someone else is running the car in the region.:D