PDA

View Full Version : Triple jump

super gripper
15-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi guys,

just to let you know that work has started on some triple jumps. they will be easly moveable and I hope to have them at the track by the 6th of March. if not all three but defo two

they will be the full width of the track and will be 12 inches high with a good kick shape to get you in the air :thumbsup:

simoncrabb
16-02-2011, 05:57 AM
But what *is* the full width of the track?

super gripper
16-02-2011, 10:16 AM
But what *is* the full width of the track?

good question Simon, they are being made at 2.5 metres, so the track will just have to be made wide enough to take them.

the track is not regulation width currently so this needs changing.

mikeyscott
16-02-2011, 10:28 AM
good question Simon, they are being made at 2.5 metres, so the track will just have to be made wide enough to take them.

the track is not regulation width currently so this needs changing.

Which is being addressed. We were keen to get people racing again and funds in to enable us to continue improvments

simoncrabb
16-02-2011, 01:44 PM
2.5m sounds ideal to me!

Awesome, looking forward to some air time.

Nige
16-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi guys,

just to let you know that work has started on some triple jumps. they will be easly moveable and I hope to have them at the track by the 6th of March. if not all three but defo two

Lee, sounds good.

Are they going to be separate so you can have 3 singles/ a double and a single/ triple??

martin so16
16-02-2011, 06:39 PM
i made the track wider last weekend i can close it in a bit where the jumps go if need be the track should b over 2.5 wide now

Crazy L
16-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Jumps are sexy, anything that makes the track less like a touring car track on a butchers window front is a good thing.:thumbsup: Only they would have to be a little gentle on the up ramp. They can't handle the stuff that 8th cars do:(

Lets get 3d-ing.

Wall of death anyone?

SteveB
16-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Guys

Small steps and the right steps?, we have much to consider when creating a track that will meet everyones needs, especially 1/8th drivers, but we will get to where we need to get over the next few months.

With Lee creating the extra features which are much needed, Martin widening the track in places and our most crucial milestone a longer and more level straight that u can open the gas up a little more . This will hopefully be complete in place for the first all day meeting.

The track was never designed for national competition but we can make it a 3 metre track all round if this is the overall requirement.

Positively we have a more robust and supportive commitee and all are sharing the work load that running a weekly club creates.

I will always go back to the fact we will always adapt to meet the needs of our members who support the club week to week basis. Many of these people do not use Oople and we must value there feedback trackside.

Our focus has not been on the track currently as this is more directed towards getting the council on board long term, which seems to be getting there thanks to Julian. We also need to ensure enough car parking for everyone and a safe racing environment in general.

Lets hope for some better weather and some more work can be complete.

Steve

super gripper
16-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Lee, sounds good.

Are they going to be separate so you can have 3 singles/ a double and a single/ triple??

the three humps will be movable independently of each other so we can get the distance between them manageable for all,
so yes we could have a triple or a double then single.

they are only 12 inches high but a metre in length, and 2.5 metres wide

I will have to sort out meeting up at the track with Tony and/or Cameron to get them on to the track in the best places

Northy
16-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Are you making the downslope longer and less steep compared to the upslope? :confused:

G

super gripper
17-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Are you making the downslope longer and less steep compared to the upslope? :confused:

G

no, the down slope is the same. modern buggy's fly just as well as they drive so people will just need to practice.

triple jump sections are not there to be taken at great speed, just enough power on the up ramp to clear them and then car contol in the air which is done with the throttle and brakes :thumbsup:

just practice folks, I know many torch drivers will be new to all this but its what the track needs

Northy
17-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I do understand how buggys drive and jump, trust me ;) and have built many jumps and features over the years both from wood etc and soil/astro.

If you expecting people to double/single, single/double or triple the sequence then a longer downslope would be better. Especially if they are moveable so you can turn them around if you want to run the track in the other direction. Just look at motox etc.

How high are they? How long/steep are the up/down slopes? How high are you expecting the cars to jump?

Just MHO

G

blue_pinky
17-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I appreciate I'm not a Torch member, or even from your area, and you don't know me...but the topic of triples made me curious as I build the tracks every week at out indoor club!

The best jumps/triples/features have a nicely curved up ramp to make the transition smooth to take off...then a good length (typically much longer!) down ramp to give you something to aim at to land on....something that is a good few times the length of the car for example. Landing on the flat is seriously hard work for the cars...even if they fly well, landing is still a bit of a risk! Blown shocks from long heavy landings and nose diving short into up ramps aren't a lot of fun!!!

Without a good landing area to aim for it turns into an obstacle rather than a racing feature...that only the very best drivers can hit lap after lap. A decent bit of a landing area gives you much more tolerance on your speed and control, which, if you have a variety of skill levels racing on it (like every club has!) makes it much more fun in my experience...even for the best guys!

If your still experimenting with jumps, take the time to play with jump lengths and down ramp and up ramp shapes...it'll make a huge difference to the fun levels! If you can when your building your jumps (presumably from wood to begin with?) make them variable/adaptable in some way to make changing them easier to begin with until you get it right.

The only other thing to play with is features that aren't jumps...but changes in level/gradient/camber. Offroad tracks, to me, should also have shape to them, in all directions!!!

The new track you've built looks great by the way (if a little flat so far, but you know that ;)), wish I was closer to it...keep up the awesome work guys!!! :thumbsup:

Matt-h
17-02-2011, 11:13 AM
It think that is some very sound advice from northy and Blue_pinky.

Thanks very much

Matt

simoncrabb
17-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I have to agree, a long down ramp makes jumping a whole lot more achievable. Any jump that expects you to land on the flat can be difficult and painful.

I remember up at the first off-road round at Ardent, they had a cross-over with equal up and down lengths. It only lasted the practice day as no one could land it.

Time spent at the design stage could save time later?

tonymon
17-02-2011, 07:21 PM
the ramps are a metre in length, i think thats long enough considering their height. we just need to mess about with them now to get their positioning right.

Randall34
17-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I would say that as a general rule: the down slope should be twice as long as the up slope. Thats just from trying jumps at EPR and Taly.

David Church
17-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I think there is a lot of good advice being given here. I also think TORCH are spot on in their approach to the track and design of it.
Build the jumps, try them, then adjust from there. They may work perfect the first time or they may need a complete redesign.
With the help you guys are getting now I am sure you will get it spot on.
Hopefully before too long we can arrange an South East invasion again:thumbsup: I really wana have a go on your new track!!!

Dudders
17-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Agree with above but its only 12" high so even if you do get air it wont be too high.

simoncrabb
18-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Agree with above but its only 12" high so even if you do get air it wont be too high.

Really? You should be able to get a good 6 feet of air off 12 inch ramp...

And remember, Hupo got about 20 feet high from a 3 foot high ramp at the Petit race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffOWXdyg_EE

SteveB
18-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Love all this, isn’t it great, thanks for everyone’s comments and support.

Once we have secured a permanent future for the track, it will evolve more and more, the club will not spend too much money in any permanent features, as this cannot be moved, but differing gradients and bumps and humps are worth considering and making things different. Drainage is fairly important on the agenda when it comes to torch much thought would need to be made before anything being implemented.

Steve

Dudders
18-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Really? You should be able to get a good 6 feet of air off 12 inch ramp...

And remember, Hupo got about 20 feet high from a 3 foot high ramp at the Petit race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffOWXdyg_EE

Doubt you'll get 6 foot with a 1 metre run up TBH. Depends where is it and at what speed it gets taken at :p

tonymon
19-02-2011, 07:26 AM
ye that depends on gradient and approach speed. that ramp at petit looked as though it could have been used by baby skateboarders as a quarter pipe!

mikeyscott
27-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Looking forward to the jumps and hoping they have a nice down ramp please :)

super gripper
27-02-2011, 10:08 PM
as previously worked out by some of our fellow members

if they are only 12 inches high and one metre in length, that would mean the up ramp is half a metre

soooooo the down ramp is also half a metre :p

read............please:thumbsup:

I intend to place them on the track so no great speed can be achieved at the first ramp

they will be just before a corner so you just land on the last down ramp before having to turn

''the idea'' :lol:

they will be in a place where you will have to get enough purchase to take all three

OR you take the first two then dribble over the third then take the turn

its just practice for most of us and Steve will show us all how to do it:thumbsup:

what do they say
''watch and learn'':woot:

ok bring on the whinning.....................:p

super gripper
27-02-2011, 10:18 PM
who would like the down ramp on the third to be bigger?

the third ramp design will be built to the majority of votes.

Matt-h
28-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Long down ramp please.

Easier on the car and gives the option to take at speed